May 2018 Moms

Super Early, Super Unnecessary, Baby name thread

Re: Super Early, Super Unnecessary, Baby name thread

• Loading the player...
  • Okay okay, I know this isn't as bad as Wrenzemay... but how badly would you side-eye a Silas/Iris sibset? DS is Silas. Would have been Iris. DH is so stuck on Iris if this babe is a girl--don't get me wrong, hands down my favorite name as well--BUT I know it's rhymey and sing-songy. His arguement is, they are two separate people who we are naming individually and sibset concerns are BS. Thoughts? TIA
    1. If you were to have any name your heart desired for your baby what would it be? And why won't you use it? I've loved the name Eleanor since reading Ella Enchanted the year it came out, but everyone says it's "too stuffy" so I gave up.  Everyone also says I (being 100% Northern European) can't name a girl Esperanza unless I adopt from a more Latin culture.  I also love Eve after the Mother of All Living, but as a Mormon, my perception of her differs significantly from most others
    2. Now give the realistic choices you might actually end up with? For a girl we decided on Sherri Lynn years ago after a dear friend, but DH is lobbying for Sherryl Lynn instead.  I'm on the fence.  For a boy DH wants a Jr and I'm against it.  His name is Robert, and he is in love with Daniel Robert, even though it's so common.  I'm more partial to Kevin Robert.
    3. What style of names do you like? Not too common, but common enough to be recognisable.  I like having a less common (but still real) spelling for DS.
    4. If you're comfortable sharing your other children's names what are they? Do you have a sibset in mind? DS is Erik Clel-Clel was Sherri's husband and also a dear friend.  I don't think it makes any difference if the middle name is Speshal, they won't be using it for the most part.  No sibset in real life, but online DS's name is Viking, and a DD will be Valkyrie.  Another DS will probably end up being Vanir, after the Norse god of nature. 
    Jana Lynn
     Happily married since 5/24/2015  Momma of a baby Viking since 4/16, expecting #2 in 5/18
    1. If you were to have any name your heart desired for your baby what would it be? And why won't you use it? Jude...won't use because DH hates it 
    2. Now give the realistic choices you might actually end up with? Emilia for a girl after my grandma and Charles for a boy after my dad 
    3. What style of names do you like? Classic names for sure! 
    4. If you're comfortable sharing your other children's names what are they? Do you have a sibset in mind? My 5 year old is Robert Joseph 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @crazyliblady, I'm LDS too!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • I remember seeing that somewhere.  There seem to be enough of us to go around on this board!
    Jana Lynn
     Happily married since 5/24/2015  Momma of a baby Viking since 4/16, expecting #2 in 5/18
  • I remember seeing that somewhere.  There seem to be enough of us to go around on this board!
    You can sit with me. I'm every mormon's favorite. (So far. I literally only know mormons through the bump, but yeah...)

1. If you were to have any name your heart desired for your baby what would it be? And why won't you use it? I've loved the name Eleanor since reading Ella Enchanted the year it came out, but everyone says it's "too stuffy" so I gave up.  Everyone also says I (being 100% Northern European) can't name a girl Esperanza unless I adopt from a more Latin culture.  I also love Eve after the Mother of All Living, but as a Mormon, my perception of her differs significantly from most others
    2. Now give the realistic choices you might actually end up with? For a girl we decided on Sherri Lynn years ago after a dear friend, but DH is lobbying for Sherryl Lynn instead.  I'm on the fence.  For a boy DH wants a Jr and I'm against it.  His name is Robert, and he is in love with Daniel Robert, even though it's so common.  I'm more partial to Kevin Robert.
    3. What style of names do you like? Not too common, but common enough to be recognisable.  I like having a less common (but still real) spelling for DS.
    4. If you're comfortable sharing your other children's names what are they? Do you have a sibset in mind? DS is Erik Clel-Clel was Sherri's husband and also a dear friend.  I don't think it makes any difference if the middle name is Speshal, they won't be using it for the most part.  No sibset in real life, but online DS's name is Viking, and a DD will be Valkyrie.  Another DS will probably end up being Vanir, after the Norse god of nature. 
    Are you pagan by any chance? 
  • @crazyliblady i love the middle name robert. My uncle is William Robert, his son is Kyle Robert, and kyle's son is James Robert. Their playful nicknames are Billy Bob, Kyle Bob, and Jim  Bob. For the longest time growing up i never understood the Bob in Kyle Bob came from lol.
  • @hollieileen i think it's pretty. It's not rhymy or anything which would bother me.  
  • @hollieileen To be perfectly honest, I would very mildly side-eye a Silas and Iris sibset.  They're both beautiful names, I just think they're a little too rhyme-y and quirky when used together.  Could you use Iris as a middle name?  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• @sandbar517, I have considered it but Iris is pretty hard to middle name, just doesn't flow well. And Eileen is more important to me, so that will be middle. But DH doesn't like it for first. I completely agree with you. DH is just soooo set on it, so thought I'd feel it out!
  • Man, Eleanor (spelled the classic way like that) was one of my top choices until I saw how popular variations of it seem to be on this thread. Guessing it's related to the popularity of Ella and wanting a longer version. Oh well, on to the next choice!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @crazyliblady we named our DS a Scandinavian  name and we're definitely not (although it can be a German name, which I am part only through many generations ago but let's face it- I'm really just American). Who cares if you're Latina or not?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My step-sister's sister-in-law is named Vashali which I think is beautiful but she's Indian and my babies are blonde and blue eyed so it seems weird.
  • I love Iris/Silas. Iris is a name I wish we could have! :) seriously though, all that matters is if you like it. Not everyone else. My son is named Kale.... the Doctor I saw for my first OB appointment, well his first name is Ocean!!!! Having that crazy name obviously didn't stop him from becoming a doctor! And personally I don't think iris and Silas are quite ryming, they are just similar.
  • @abhphilly I too avoid super popular names bc I don't want my kid to be number 4 of the classroom. With that said, my DS is in a toddler program, and his principal just told me there is going to be a second Silas joining the class. Never thought that would happen...
  • @codik86 what about Eliana? Or Isabella or Gabriela? You still get the Ellie/Ella part.
  • I love Iris/Silas. Iris is a name I wish we could have! :) seriously though, all that matters is if you like it. Not everyone else. My son is named Kale.... the Doctor I saw for my first OB appointment, well his first name is Ocean!!!! Having that crazy name obviously didn't stop him from becoming a doctor! And personally I don't think iris and Silas are quite ryming, they are just similar.
  • @sparkymcgeee My wife and my naming criteria is classic, but no longer widely used, names. Once a name appears like it's going to enter the top 25, it no longer fits our criteria. That's all. 

I live in a major city and I can guarantee there will be 5+ students of every name in the top 10 in my child's public school grade. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • abhphilly said:
    @sparkymcgeee My wife and my naming criteria is classic, but no longer widely used, names. Once a name appears like it's going to enter the top 25, it no longer fits our criteria. That's all. 

I live in a major city and I can guarantee there will be 5+ students of every name in the top 10 in my child's public school grade. 
    As of 2016 Eleanor is still only number 41. Sure it could go up but it still fits your criteria. Let's say you live in Philly based on your name. Eleanor is number 62 in the state of Pennsylvania. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more