Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

14m old needs bottle during the night

Every night around 1:30-3:30AM my LO wakes up screaming and the only thing that will soothe him is a warm bottle. Anyone else have this issue? I do not want to let him cry it out since it seems that he is truly hungry. But he has never slept through the night and momma is exhausted. HELP!

Re: 14m old needs bottle during the night

• Options
    faserrett said:
    Every night around 1:30-3:30AM my LO wakes up screaming and the only thing that will soothe him is a warm bottle. Anyone else have this issue? I do not want to let him cry it out since it seems that he is truly hungry. But he has never slept through the night and momma is exhausted. HELP!
    If he's never slept through the night, you might consider sleep training. There are many options besides CIO that might work better for your family. Maybe ask your ped just to make sure they think he doesn't need that feed.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    My almost 14 month daughter is still nursing during the night :(. We haven't tried to cry it out but I had one pediatrician recommend giving extra feedings during the day so maybe that will help? Good luck!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son didn't sleep through the night for the first time until 13 months.  Despite sleep trying at 6 months, he was hungry and still needed to nurse 1-2 times a night until then.  He finally weaned completely from night nursing around 14 months, but he would have kept going longer if I let him.  We eventually started sending DH in with a cup of water once we decided it was just habit and not hunger.  That was not exciting enough to warrant waking up for and he started sleeping through not long after we started that.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    olliegollyolliegolly member
    edited August 2017
    My son is not much younger and goes through spurts where he wakes up for milk - but he usually does sleep through now. I assume it's a growth spurt since its occasional. If it's constant, some form of sleep training might be in order, but if CIO doesn't sound like a good fit, it might not be. We do let my son CIO going down for the night sometimes though, and he usually cries for less than ten minutes. He was crying EVERY time you set him down (regardless of how long you rocked / held him), since he has been teething badly and going through sep. anxiety. We set a limit on both how upset we'll let him get, how long we'll let it go, and if it seems to be going the wrong direction we intervene immediately. Most of the time as a result now he yells for less than 30 seconds. "I'm not tired! Don't leave... " Snooze

• Options
    I agree with olliegolly. My daughter is almost 15 months and goes through spurts where she wakes up (for a bottle) around 3:00-3:30, and then there are nights she sleeps until 6:30-7:00 without any disturbances. Seems to mostly be centered around teething and allergy flare-ups. Then again, she goes to bed around 8:00 so it is a long stretch. Note: we make sure she has a few ounces (4-6) and seomtimes a small snack (some yogurt, applesauce, or a cheese stick) before bed since we tend to eat dinner closer to 6:30 and she's not eating nearly as much as dinner as she was before she was walking (a whole 'nother subject!).

Hopefully, it will resolve itself soon ... or push out a few more hours, at least!
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)