May 2018 Moms
Options

Nausea Remedies

Recommendations please!!!

When I was pregnant with my DD 3 years ago, the nausea was almost all day, but it was bearable most of the time. Granted, my Dr. prescribed me Diclegis since I couldn't even keep water down without it until about halfway through the third trimester. I survived off of Captain Crunch and Skittles for several weeks as my anti-nausea snack. I'd also usually get sick (even with the medicine) either early morning or late at night and feel fine afterwards. This time around, the nausea hits hard from around 9am until around 12pm AT WORK and I'm wishing I'd throw up so I'd get some relief and can focus. I try to keep something small on my stomach to help like cereal, crackers, and water, but it just makes the nausea worse. Anyone have any recommendations to try? I have the Preggie Pops, but something sour is the last thing I want when I feel so yucky. I've got to figure something out so I can be more productive at work. I'm going to try to not ask for the medicine this go-around simply because it made me soooo drowsy and I don't need that with a toddler and the already tiredness of the first trimester. Of course, if I end up so sick like I did last time, I'll need to probably reconsider that decision. TIA!
BFP 9/11/13   EDD 5/21/14   MC 9/20/13  <3
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 2/25/14   EDD 11/5/14   BD 11/4/14
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

BFP 8/26/17  EDD  5/5/18
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Nausea Remedies

• Options
     Here's what works for me.
    25 mg of b6 every 8 hours
    1/2 of a unisom (doxylamine) before bed, and 1/2 a tablet around noon (note, it may make you really sleepy, but eventually you'll get used to it)
    Magnesium supplements
    sipping on ginger tea and taking ginger tablets whenever I feel queasy 
    I also avoid carbs like the plague. I force myself to eat high fat, high protein foods instead and I swear it makes me feel better. My theory is that carbs make your blood sugar crazy.
    I would start medication now. The longer you wait, the harder it is to get on top of the nausea. 

• Options
    I was incredibly lucky last time and so far this time, but I had some coworkers who had terrible MS when they were pregnant who recommended this to me when I had lingering nausea the 2 weeks after I had the stomach flu while pregnant with DS. Animal crackers. You still get the cracker/bready thing, but the subtle sweetness works like a charm. Not something to live on but more along the lines of 'i need to nibble something small to slap this away before a meeting' or whatever. not a long term fix, but a good quick keep it at bay
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11
    Angel Baby 3 6/28/11                                                         9/5/17 BFP!!
    divorced October 2014                                                       9/6/17 hCG 88 progesterone 9.1 (prometrium started)
    Married DH 10/15     DH's DS born 6/09                            9/8/17 hCG 242!!!
    Not preventing since 11/15                                                 EDD 5/8/18        Adjusted 5/15/18
    TTC since 1/1/16                                                                9/27/17 we have a heart beat!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy TrackerBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @gildah One reason I was put on the medicine is I went from 0 nausea to not-holding water down in 1 day right at 6 weeks. I'm 7 weeks now and haven't tossed my cookies yet, so it's a totally different experience for me so far. My first appointment is Tuesday, so I'll ask about the supplements. I'm an oddball and don't like any kind of tea, but I'll see if I can find some ginger tablets. Thanks!

@ladystinson Animal crackers actually sound delicious right now lol. I may have to grab some on my way home today!!! Thank you!
    BFP 9/11/13   EDD 5/21/14   MC 9/20/13  <3
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 2/25/14   EDD 11/5/14   BD 11/4/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

BFP 8/26/17  EDD  5/5/18
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Animal crackers are one of the few things helping me right now. 
  • Options
    Small, frequent snacks. 
    I'm a sucker and I bought those "Preggie Pops" last pregnancy and this pregnancy. I swear by them. 
    I've heard sea bands are amazing. 

• Options
    Animal crackers are one of the few things helping me right now. 
    I've eaten sooooo many animal crackers this week. 
  • Options
    Ginger chews help me 
  • Options
    My friend who has twins had HG and the only thing she could stomach was this chicken soup I made her with lots of ginger in it. I'll post how I made it in the recipes thread later tonight. (It's seriously nothing special, just combining the mostly protein train with ginger.)
  • Options
    justsuziejustsuzie member
    edited September 2017
    I just ordered some overpriced candies on Amazon when I should probably go out and buy sour patch kids, 

Question... When was your MS at it's worst? I had nothing up until a few days ago and I feel like I am hungover on a ferry all day long.

edit for question.
  • Options
    In my first pregnancy my husband bought queas-ease off Amazon and it was really helpful. It's just a lipstick sized tube that holds an oil blend like peppermint, lavender, etc. I bought it again this go-around but they changed the formula and it isn't as good.... it's less minty now. I also tried seabands but they were so annoying it made me feel worse; however I have friends that swore by them. 
  • Options
    @momo214 is it something you smell?
  • Options
    momo214momo214 member
    edited September 2017
    @mileswithmyles Yes like an aromatherapy thing that you can throw in your purse. We just ordered it from Amazon but I think they have similar stuff in stores. I will probably just add a couple drops of peppermint oil to the tube to step up the mint smell. 

ETA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P4C8N2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Je0UzbX4ZEASS
  • Options
    My nausea goes away around 14 weeks. The morning dry heaving, however, lasts till 28 weeks (for me). I should note that I'm a puker. I throw up whenever I'm sick or or upset. I think my gag reflex is a little crazy!
  • Options
    Yeah, my nausea and gagginess (I made up a word) is pretty much all day.  I'm seriously considering the B6 and unisom.  I had this with my first pregnancy, too, but it went away pretty much right at the 13 week mark.  I might also try some ginger chews, good suggestion @ChasingTheDog!

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• Options
    With my first, the nausea stopped at 12 weeks when I stopped the progesterone supplements. I think I still threw up maybe twice afterward, but the overall nausea stopped with the supplements for me.
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11
    Angel Baby 3 6/28/11                                                         9/5/17 BFP!!
    divorced October 2014                                                       9/6/17 hCG 88 progesterone 9.1 (prometrium started)
    Married DH 10/15     DH's DS born 6/09                            9/8/17 hCG 242!!!
    Not preventing since 11/15                                                 EDD 5/8/18        Adjusted 5/15/18
    TTC since 1/1/16                                                                9/27/17 we have a heart beat!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy TrackerBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I had HG with my first until 27 weeks so I'm hoping that doesn't return. Ginger is my friend. Ginger ale and preggie naturals. It's a brand of chews I found on Amazon that help a lot. They are spendy but work for me. 

B6 and unison did shit for me. Oh well, wait. It did make me beyond constipated and I had to be hospitalized so I guess it did something. :( 

I used zofran Las time. I believe my OB has since switched to the other med now. We will see what comes this pregnancy. For now, I got my chews on stand by!
  • Options
    I juat bought an accu pressure band called psi band and I'm so happy. It doesn't really take the aversions away but I no longer feel the urge to vomit 24/7.
  • Options
    Small, frequent snacks. 
    I'm a sucker and I bought those "Preggie Pops" last pregnancy and this pregnancy. I swear by them. 
    I've heard sea bands are amazing. 

***stuck in box****
    I am currently living in sea bands.  They only come off to shower.   
    With my first, the nausea stopped at 12 weeks when I stopped the progesterone supplements. I think I still threw up maybe twice afterward, but the overall nausea stopped with the supplements for me.
    Awesome,  I hope mine doesn't pick up when I start the progesterone shots at 14 weeks....

Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers photo 401ba615-b560-419d-8272-b89fb96034ec.pngphoto sushilovers.png

• Options
    What kind of ginger chews do you all buy?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @momo214 These save my life 

Three Lollies Preggie Naturals Chews for Morning Sickness Relief, 48 count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XLUV2KS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_3zzVzbQWWFY4A
  • Options
    So far cucumbers have been helping me.  And cutting out things that make me nauseated.   
  • Options
    I had hyperemesis with my first... nothing helped but zofran and prayer.... I hope everyone else suggestions work for you because well i got nothing I was still throwing up the day I went into labor 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    ALtoids. Peppermint or wintergreen. I eat them on my commute home and it makes a HUGE difference 
  • Options
    @Saratiff oh my goodness that is horrible
  • Options
    @createmagic14 two of my SIL's had progesterone shots to prevent preterm labor. Neither of them said it caused symptoms. I *think* they started around 14 weeks. So, hopefully it'll be the same for you!
  • Options
    @kpc914 lol I hope I wasn't too harsh. I really hope these remedies work for people, I just was one of those people who it didn't work and after 9 months and PiCC I still had people asking me if I tried ginger ale and saltines  o:)o:)o:)

most people it goes away, I tried those sea sick bands, chewy ginger, I switched to gummy pre natal vitamins ( only the raspberry and lemonade flavor would stay) and I took them before bed. Diclegis did nothing for me but people do say it works. Its basically b6 and Benadryl. Don't be afraid to talk to your OB I lost 20 pounds before I finally got over my self and took the zofran. Wishing all of you mamas some relief soon. As for myself I'm praying we stay in the normal range. But seeing as I'm three weeks and already feeling sick I don't have much hope. Apparently my body just hates hCG. 
  • Options
    @Saratiff
    I hope you have an easier time this go round. Will your doctor start zofran earlier this time? One thing I've found is that the earlier I start medication, the better it works. This is my 5th pregnancy and each one my MS has been less severe. I *think* this might be because I begin medication the minute I feel even slightly queasy. Of course, I've had bad morning sickness in the past but not HG. I know that's a whole other story. 
  • Options
    SaratiffSaratiff member
    edited September 2017
    @gildah I'm calling their office tomorrow to set up my prenatal and will be bringing up the zofran rx! What they told me before was I have a 50/50 chance of having HG again but if I end up with it again it's usually progressively worse each time  :s:s 

i am the youngest of five kids and I love it! I always thought I would have a large family but I have such PTSD from the HG I can't even believe I agreed to get pregnant again. But like child birth you kind of forget. So if I have HG again we will have two Bio children and I will adopt my other three  B)B)B)B)

edit to add: 
    I'm so glad the morning sickness has gotten progressively less for you. That's helpful with little ones running around. 
  • Options
    @saratiff I hope so much it's not as bad this time! I have a friend who had HG and I just can't imagine. I'm glad your calling your OB to get zofran. Fingers crossed that it'll help!!! 
    Trust me, if my MS was as bad the second time as the first, we would have stopped at 2. I couldn't watch all these crazy kids while throwing up all day!!!
  • Options
    justsuzie said:
    I just ordered some overpriced candies on Amazon when I should probably go out and buy sour patch kids, 

Question... When was your MS at it's worst? I had nothing up until a few days ago and I feel like I am hungover on a ferry all day long.

edit for question.
    First time around my MS hit at 8 weeks on the dot and lasted 'round the clock (with barf in the am, then seasick the rest if the day) until 18 weeks. This time around I began feeling sick last night (5 weeks), and spent the entire day nauseous and sleepy today. Damnit.
  • Options
    I'm feeling worst in the morning and the evening, before breakfast and after dinner. I couldn't stomach breakfast this morning
  • Options
    eryale said:
    justsuzie said:

edit for question.
    First time around my MS hit at 8 weeks on the dot and lasted 'round the clock (with barf in the am, then seasick the rest if the day) until 18 weeks. This time around I began feeling sick last night (5 weeks), and spent the entire day nauseous and sleepy today. Damnit.

STUCK IN THE BOX..

Please let this not be me! I'm having the motion sickness at night too when I come back from a bathroom trip!  WOrst thing is I never puke so I have the constant feeling. I puked once and felt great afterwards but that was after staring at a toilet for at least an hour. 
  • Options
    Hi all! I have been struggling majorly with nausea and was reading the symptoms board for suggestions. Someone on there (if I can track it down again I will give you a shout out!!) posted about avoiding carbs because of the impact on blood sugar. I have done two rounds of Whole30 in the past, so the idea made some sense to me. Starting yesterday I ate carb-free (well, meaning no breads, pastas, rice, etc.) and my nausea has been SOOO much better! It's a pain to eliminate refined carbs, but I wanted to pass the idea along for anyone who is struggling like I have been. 
  • Options
    gildah said:
     Here's what works for me.
    25 mg of b6 every 8 hours
    1/2 of a unisom (doxylamine) before bed, and 1/2 a tablet around noon (note, it may make you really sleepy, but eventually you'll get used to it)
    Magnesium supplements
    sipping on ginger tea and taking ginger tablets whenever I feel queasy 
    I also avoid carbs like the plague. I force myself to eat high fat, high protein foods instead and I swear it makes me feel better. My theory is that carbs make your blood sugar crazy.
    I would start medication now. The longer you wait, the harder it is to get on top of the nausea. 

@gildah I tracked down your post! Thank you for this idea - it has made me feel SO much better to cut carbs out! I