September 2017 Moms

Post-partum prep

13»

Re: Post-partum prep

• Thanks @Carebella and @JNR6510. I think I've decided it was a random return of post partum bleeding because it seems to have stopped (and only started yesterday afternoon). I didn't over exert myself, so I'm not sure what caused it.
  • @Rhubarb7216 if it returns again, I would go in and have them check. Could be normal, could be your period, but you want to make sure it isn't retained placenta.
  • Loading the player...
  • lilpoots said:
    @Rhubarb7216 if it returns again, I would go in and have them check. Could be normal, could be your period, but you want to make sure it isn't retained placenta.
    I never even would have thought of that as a possibility! However I thibk it likely isn't retained placenta - my placenta was sent for analysis because of suspected abruption (which was confirmed by analysis), so I think they would have known if it wasn't fully intact. Although I admit I know nothing about retained placenta so I could be wrong.
  • @Rhubarb7216 I can basically guarantee you that it's not a retained placenta at this point. I had one with my son. Not pleasant at all. The doctor's caught mine immediately but if they didn't then you would more than likely be very very sick and it causes issues with your milk coming in. 
  • Thanks @tfrangul good to know! I didn't have any issues with milk coming in and I'm not sick at all so sounds like I'm in the clear.
  • Umm, can I just say holy crazy postpartum bleeding? First time, barely anything. Second time and I feel like I'm going to live in Depends for a good week at the rate I've been going so far. 
  • @Carebella maybe that means you will be done bleeding all that much faster! Lol
    I bled for the full 6 weeks basicslly with my first but it was super light the whole time. My second it was awful because of my retained placenta at first but then I was done by like 2 or 3 weeks. I'm 3 weeks post pardom on Thursday and I think I'm about done?! Idk. Bleeding is so my least favorite post pardom issue. I hope it gets better for you!
  • @tfrangul Thankfully it's much better today! I think I just need to be extra careful about taking it easy. And yes, post-partum bleeding sucks! But I guess it's a fair trade if my period stays away for a long time again. FX you're almost done with yours!
  • Sorry that rant was meant for Randoms post! Lol!!!
  • So after going to urgent care Friday night for UTI symptoms the PA there gave me a script for macrobid. I researched and it clearly says do not use if breastfeeding and infant is under 1 month old. So after waiting it out all freaking weekend with horrendous pain I finally got a hold of my doctor this morning who agreed that macrobid was not safe and prescribed me amoxicillin. I asked the PA at least three times if she was sure it was safe and she just said yes we give it during pregnancy. Just because you give something during pregnancy doesn't mean it is safe while breast feeding lady!!!!
    Macrobid is NOT safe for most of pregnancy. That's frustrating. It can't be given in the first trimester or close to delivery. I avoid prescribing it at all in pregnancy. I'm sorry you had to go the whole weekend with a UTI. I hope you start feeling better soon! 
  • So after going to urgent care Friday night for UTI symptoms the PA there gave me a script for macrobid. I researched and it clearly says do not use if breastfeeding and infant is under 1 month old. So after waiting it out all freaking weekend with horrendous pain I finally got a hold of my doctor this morning who agreed that macrobid was not safe and prescribed me amoxicillin. I asked the PA at least three times if she was sure it was safe and she just said yes we give it during pregnancy. Just because you give something during pregnancy doesn't mean it is safe while breast feeding lady!!!!
    Macrobid is NOT safe for most of pregnancy. That's frustrating. It can't be given in the first trimester or close to delivery. I avoid prescribing it at all in pregnancy. I'm sorry you had to go the whole weekend with a UTI. I hope you start feeling better soon! 
     I'm glad you didn't take it at all. I took it in 2nd tri and it made me so sick. Sorry you had to wait for something else, but amox is way better.
  • I'm going to call the nurses line tomorrow to ask, but I'm 10 days postpartum and I've just started to bleed red blood clots after only having brownish spotting since day 2. I've tried resting some more, but I keep having these kind of long red blood clots now, instead of the light brown spotting I've had since I was in the hospital. Everything I've read online says it should be the opposite. I don't have any clots bigger than a goofball, but it seems odd. Again, I'm going to call tomorrow, but in the meantime I was just wondering if anyone has gone through something similar. 
  • I'm going to call the nurses line tomorrow to ask, but I'm 10 days postpartum and I've just started to bleed red blood clots after only having brownish spotting since day 2. I've tried resting some more, but I keep having these kind of long red blood clots now, instead of the light brown spotting I've had since I was in the hospital. Everything I've read online says it should be the opposite. I don't have any clots bigger than a goofball, but it seems odd. Again, I'm going to call tomorrow, but in the meantime I was just wondering if anyone has gone through something similar. 
    I'm 7 days pp and am experiencing stringy red discharge. Seems normal to me, but this is less red as I go along.  Is yours bright red like fresh blood? Are you soaking through a pad in under an hour? No harm in calling since it is getting redder. Try not to stress too much while you wait. 
  • @heatherlynn321 @lilpoots I am 6 days pp after a c-section and I have had these types of clots too, and very little other bleeding. I've wondered if some of it is tissue. There is an increase in the discharge after a feeding so I didn't worry but mine are getting redder also, so I called today. I spoke with an NP but never got a call back from a midwife or OB :-/
  • I am not a doctor or a nurse, but from my hemorrhages after both labors, I am pretty sure that the size and texture of the discharge you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Also normal to bleed more after breastfeeding or pumping. What is worrisome is bright red blood or a lot of blood. Clots that are bad news are very solid masses and larger than a golfball.
  • lilpoots said:
    I am not a doctor or a nurse, but from my hemorrhages after both labors, I am pretty sure that the size and texture of the discharge you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Also normal to bleed more after breastfeeding or pumping. What is worrisome is bright red blood or a lot of blood. Clots that are bad news are very solid masses and larger than a golfball.
    I was leaning toward it being nornal also but my husband always wants to err on the side of caution and he encouraged me to call. Also the hospital pediatrician said "The phrase 'I'm sure it's fine' is no longer in your vocabulary." She was talking about the health of baby but I figure it can't hurt to be a bit cautious.
  • @divinemsm620 for sure, always better to call when in doubt. Due to my history, I'm super cautious. And in regards to the pediatrician, it's absolutely necessary to call about any concerns over your newborn's health. I hope everything is going well.