September 2017 Moms

S17 VBAC check ins

Hi ladies. Since there seem to be so few of us, I'm going to turn this thread into an ongoing post instead of a weekly check in. It will hopefully make it easier to view things we discussed and find responses.

Tell us how you're doing this week and anything you want to share about your upcoming vbac. Questions, concerns, accomplishments, etc. 

Re: S17 VBAC check ins

• I'm 30w+5 days today. Had a regular check up with my OB office and will be seeing them every two weeks from now on. Midwife thought baby was head down, but they won't do an ultrasound until 36 weeks to confirm.

My biggest concern right now is that I'm not going to be prepared, but I don't know what preparedness would look like. 

Accomplishment would be getting through a really hot and physically demanding week at work. This is probably going to be my continuing accomplishment.
  • PKFMommiePKFMommie member
    edited July 2017
    I also don't know what preparedness would look like. Which stresses me out because I always like to be prepared. 

I have 9 days left of work before leave.

I have a headache.

And despite eating like a saint and exercising, I am already at about 30lbs gained (at 34 weeks).   - no, I don't have GD, sugars were great.

BUT baby measures within the "normal range."  And she's active. And head down... mostly.

I'm hoping that being able to walk a bit more once I'm off work will me to feel more like a pregnant person and less like a whale.

We can't afford the expense of the birth center out of pocket, so I'm doing my best to work with what resources I've got through my OB's office.  They finally let me have the VBAC consent to "Read through" but I still can't sign it yet, "just in case."  I have faith it will happen... if I don't have a contraindication to a VBAC by this week, I doubt one will come up.  Still frustrating though.

Hope you are all well!

Me: 31 & DH: 36
    Married 2009
    DS: 6 y/o
    TTC #2 for (way too long)
    BFP: 12/30/2016 !!!

• Loading the player...
  • I am 30 +5 delivery seems so far away but work wise it feels like I do not have any time left. I still have a lot to accomplish there before baby is born. I found out our maternity leave benefits are increasing in August so I am excited to hear what those are. 

VBAC wise I am not really sure what to do to prepare I kind of just took things as they came with my second daughter. Hoping my body goes into labor naturally and things progress as they did with my second. Things were pretty uncomplicated. I will have to ask my OB if they will check her position via an ultrasound I cannot remember if/when they did that with the other two. 

Accomplishments: I have collected almost all of my baby stuff that has been lent out and thanks to my 5 year old that is very enthusiastic about baby we have started washing and unpacking baby stuff. Poor kid will not have a room/decorations until I go on maternity leave but at least we can get her closet/dresser setup. 
  • 35 +5 and getting real nervous about my vbac. I have a refresher class tomorrow since both my other births were c-section (one due to breech the other because I had GD and they were concerned lo would be too big, jokes on them he was a little over 6 pounds).

I am also nervous this baby isn't head down at my last appointment they couldn't tell for sure, I am hoping they will do an ultrasound tomorrow at my appointment since my daughter was breech. I have been walking and trying to figure out where they kiddo is kicking me from but really it feels like it is all over. Sometimes I feel the kicks below my belly button then other times I feel them up high and can see him rolling all around.. hiccups are at or below belly button.

So I guess just kind of freaking out.
  • HI friends, my VBAC is all up in the air right now.Since I was last here I've had to fire my midwife for gross incompetence and have just recently started with an OB. At this point, I am so busy trying to catch up on necessary tests and just general care that there is just not enough info for my OB. He is  while somewhat optimistic and gave me a 60-80% chance of a VBAC, he wont know more until he gets a good look at all my files and I get another US. Also, my due date been changed again so I dont even go here anymore. I'm an October mom now so...I'll move my tray over to a new table if you like.  
  • Souptin said:
    HI friends, my VBAC is all up in the air right now.Since I was last here I've had to fire my midwife for gross incompetence and have just recently started with an OB. At this point, I am so busy trying to catch up on necessary tests and just general care that there is just not enough info for my OB. He is  while somewhat optimistic and gave me a 60-80% chance of a VBAC, he wont know more until he gets a good look at all my files and I get another US. Also, my due date been changed again so I dont even go here anymore. I'm an October mom now so...I'll move my tray over to a new table if you like.  
    No need to move your tray!  I may have mine early (in August) as I'm already 35 + change.  But maybe not! 

I feel ya on the medical provider frustrations. We aren't thrilled with our OB either, but changing and/or hiring a midwife ended up out of the question (for any disappointing reasons).  Add that to pregnancy hormones (or horror-mones, I call them!) and it's a recipe for stress!  I feel like OBs are sooooo afraid of being sued.  Like they want the face that I'm asking for a VBAC to be an excuse to "pass the buck" if anything goes wrong to make it my fault. Short of a uterine rupture (the very slight chance that is... as it is 7 years between deliveries for me), my feeling is that the risks of VBAC are pretty much the same of a first time vaginal birth. 

Married 2009

• Bumping this up...

VBAC Mamas, you still out there?  How's everyone doing?

Married 2009

• Hey moms. Sorry I've been so quiet. I got a little bummed out when our fellow VBAC souptin came back just to get perma banned. Also struggling with sinus tachycardia and not quite done with the official diagnoses. I'm hoping that I'm still totally elligible for a VBAC. I'm only 34 weeks and work is kicking my butt. Not feeling super positive about the next 5 weeks, but I know my doctors will bench me when needed. I am still waiting on my official surgery transcripts from the hospital, because I screwed up and put the wrong date. On the bright side I feel like I've digested all of the birthing information I need.

I feel pretty prepared around here, although there are definitely things to do. I need to get serious about some of the vbac prep and my H needs to help me with my spinning babies exercises. Here is my absolutely must do list:
    Create visual birth plan
    Pack hospital bag
    Install infant car seat
    Freezer meals
  • @lilpoots - Sorry you've been bummed! I didn't know about the perma banning.... my computer is slow (due for an upgrade) so my browsing the boards is also, subsequently, quite slow....

I will be crossing my fingers for you that you are still a VBAC candidate.  I had a history of cardiac issues myself but thankfully (after much debate) they have decided that my prior clearance from a cardiologist is sufficient.  I think this is a very overlooked part of the VBAC plan.  What if it doesn't work out?  More than any complication I am concerned with how much time, and emotional and physical energy I spend on preparing for a vbac, and how will I handle it if it doesn't work out.  Obviously my babys and my own health is #1 on the priority list, but I have been trying to be sooooo optimistic and "positive vibing" about the experience that I feel ill-prepared to psychologically handle the fall out if things don't work out.  I'm going to work on the "what if" portion of my birth plan in case, God forbid, there is a complication that necessitates a repeat section.  How will I make that a more positive experience than my first?

GL to you!

Sounds like we both still have a lot of work to do!

Married 2009

• @PKFMommie the emotional work really seems like the hardest, doesn't it? I'm trying to be very positive, but also accept that there are some things out of my control. To me, you sound very capable and prepared. 
  • 36 weeks today and I signed my consent form for vbac. Did the strep B swab and growth scan. Baby is head down and estimated at 6lbs. My office bases birth weight estimates on previous births, as well as the birth weight of you/the father. I'd assume 8.5 to 9lbs in that case. No one seems concerned about it, so good news there. I have had limited success with getting my medical records for my previous section. All of the surgical information was included, but nothing pertaining to my hemorrhage. I don't have time to screw around with hospital records anymore. I'm going to assume that my dr wouldn't encourage me to vbac if she didn't feel confident about it. Our doula had surgery and won't be meeting with us until 38 weeks. Hoping my body waits until 39 weeks.
  • @lilpoots

Great they are supportive!  I showed up to my 39 week appt and was told that my baby is 8.5 and too big, and they "Scheduled me" a section on my due date next week, which I refused.  The US is +/- 1.5lbs either way and the baby doesn't feel as big by palpation... we just make loooong babies which can skew the results.  I got this resolved today and I'm just hoping my latest membrane sweep (second one) will get me into labor along with raspberry teas and evening primrose oil...   I hope your body keep on waiting, but I'm ready for mine to GO! haha!

Married 2009

• I've been silent. Due date is 9/9 and we are working towards a VBAC. I have no plan in place but taking each day as it comes. 
    Hoping I go into labour naturally and this baby doesn't get to 41 weeks like my last one. 
    At my last U/S (34 weeks) baby was at 6lbs 11oz and 95th percentile so expecting another big baby.
    Praying all goes well; will let you guys know. ❤️
  • Good Luck, and Good Vibes your way @CynOkwu

As for myself, currently 39+3 and with a big baby (already at least 8 lbs) I feel like I'm on the timer with my MD, and very anxious to get labor going.  If no dice, she is pushing for a RCS 9/11 or that week.... :-/

Married 2009

• @CynOkwu I hope baby isn't as big as they estimate. It is such a huge margin of error when it comes to guessing my ultrasound. Fx for you.

@PKFMommie I'm still thinking good thoughts for you that baby comes soon and on it's own. Are you eating dates?

I'm going to start drinking raspberry leaf tea as soon as I get everything cleared with my cardio doctor. Will ask about using primrose oil at my next ob visit. 
  • @lilpoots Going by the weight of my belly; the baby may be big like my first. There is just so much uncertainty around an U/S but they were quite close the last time. 
    I wish I had started drinking raspberry leaf tea, too late to buy now
  • My whole response didn't get posted and I'm too tired to retype. 

In sum, I have an appointment today at 39+3 so will see what the OB says. Maybe they'll order another U/S.

I'm exhausted and as a Hyperemesis Gravidarum mama, I'm still throwing up.
  • So I've no experience with VBACs, let alone how they relate to baby size, but I just wanted to say that I know a very petite woman gave birth to a 10 lbs girl vaginally. It was her 4th baby and she'd never had a cesarian, but it just goes to show that size isn't everything. Good luck to all of you ladies with having a birth that is safe and peaceful for both you and baby.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • @wannabeamongoose I absolutely agree that most practices are overly concerned with a baby's size for vaginal births. The issue with size and vbac has to do with the incision made in the uterus. It has weakened the uterus in that area and they want to avoid rupture. It is highly unlikely, but more of a risk with a large baby.
  • @lilpoots Thanks for the response. Like I said, I have no idea about VBAC in general, and obviously its success is impacted by things that are otherwise not a big deal. Makes sense.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • CynOkwuCynOkwu member
    edited September 2017
    @PKFMommie any update from your OB? 

My baby is still not here. 40 weeks tomorrow. Will go in on Monday to discuss the 'next step' which will probably be to schedule a repeat CS. 
  • @CynOkwu Congrats!!! You do look exhausted, but hopefully it will be a quick recovery for you :)  Your baby is gorgeous and he looks so content.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @CynOkwu omg, so happy for you! He is beautiful. I hope you can get a little rest now.
  • Thank you guys so much. Loooong labour; will tell the story later but I was able to be given pitocin. 
  • Congratulations @CynOkwu!! He's a beautiful baby!

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @CynOkwu

Congratulations!  I ended up not getting my VBAC for a variety of reasons but I will get the story up later.  So happy for you and your son!

Married 2009

• @lilpoots

I did get labor started spontaneously after 2 days of dates, raspberry leaf tea.  Unfortunately this labor copied my last, and I didn't get my VBAC, but we are all healthy.  The recovery from a failed TOLAC is awful though.  I'm almost 2 weeks out and still pretty much homebound. 

Sending good thoughts your way!

Married 2009

• I'm still pregnant, but showing all the signs of labor approaching. I have a wedding I'm supposed to attend tomorrow. If I make it to the wedding, assuming I'm not having a babg, I'll start eating all the dates and drinking all the tea on Tuesday.
  • @PKFMommie I'm sorry things didn't progress. I can imagine csection after tolac is awful. I definitely want to hear your experience when you're ready.
  • lilpoots said:
    Duncan was born by vbac 9/18 at 8:15pm. 7lbs 7oz and 21 inches long. Will post more when I've rested.
    Congratulations!!!! So wonderful! I'm also glad you had a successful vbac :)

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs: