1st Trimester

To buy new or slightly used maternity clothes?

I am 3 months into my second pregnancy, and getting to the point where I need stretchy clothes. For my first pregnancy, I bought new maternity clothes from Pea in a Pod and while I loved the clothes, I realize just how much money I wasted on them. I didn't keep them after baby #1 was born. So now I'm trying to decide wear to buy and if I should buy slightly used or new maternity clothes that are not expensive like PIAP is or cheap like Motherhood Maternity clothes are. 
Any ideas or advice? 

Re: To buy new or slightly used maternity clothes?

• I learned my first go round. I'm buying all clothes used. You're only pregnant for 9 mons. Don't waste big money on your clothes when u can put that money towards baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • My entire maternity wardrobe was from thrift stores and consignment shops minus two fitted t's (read inexpensive) and a gifted dress.

I definitely vote used. 
  • I was also able to get by with a lot of non-maternity clothes. Maxi dresses, tunics, sweater dresses, stretchy skirts and leggings. Some of which I had before getting pregnant and still wear now 1+years pp.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • For me it depends on your go-to wardrobe. Tops can be from resale shops. But for me I found buying pants new were better because they tend to be a little worn especially in the thigh area. But I agree used is good for most things.
  • For me it depends on your go-to wardrobe. Tops can be from resale shops. But for me I found buying pants new were better because they tend to be a little worn especially in the thigh area. But I agree used is good for most things.
    In my experience, very few shops sell ones with worn thigh areas. At least the places I go, including Value Village, only stock clothes in good condition. I bought two pairs of great maternity jeans for very cheap - no worn thighs. 
  • Ross has great prices on maternity clothes! That's where I bought everything last time. I've picked up a few new things for this pregnancy there too. 
  • I think you guys missed the question. She was wondering WHERE to buy slightly used maternity clothes. With this being my first pregnancy, I would also like to know. I don't want to shell out a fortune buying them new and at 9 weeks, only one pair of my jeans fit. 

@SarahFoley725 I don't think there is a Ross anywhere near me. Any other suggestions? :)
  • Most of mine were from value village. The rest were locally-owned consignment shops. You'd have to google to find ones in your area. That's what I did. 
  • Whether to buy used...YES. Where to buy used...I have been to a consignment shop while shopping in another city and plan to go to the two near me. I'm not paying more than $10 for something I am going to wear for a couple, few months. I don't even like traditional maternity clothes (3/4 length sleeves, flouncy tops with the criss cross look and the tie over the belly). Can't do it. I'm gonna be doing fitted dresses, pants, sweat suits, maternity shirts/t-shirts, open blazers, etc. I have bought leggings from Targét. 
    Me: 39 <3  DP: 49
    TTC since Jan 2017
    BFP #2 7/11/17 | EDD 3/24/18
    BFP #1 5/2/17 | EDD 1/12/18 | MC 5/18/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am lucky that we have a local kids consignment shop that also carries maternity wear. I have gotten rid of pretty much everything from my last pregnancy. So far I have gotten a pair of jeans and some shorts. At $5 a pop, I can't complain.
    My suggestion would be to maybe call around and see if there are options like that for you. Otherwise, Kohls is ok in a pinch.
  • I bought a ton off of ebay and swap.com (and plan on selling them there soon)
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Clothes Mentor, if you have one, was a good spot to find gently used clothes. Burlington also has a decent maternity section for very reasonable prices. 
  • I have already bought some super cute  maternity clothes from Goodwill. I don't need them yet (at 6 wks) but my mother suggested I go ahead and get them because, "one day, you'll wake up and not be able to fit into your clothes." I always enjoy used clothes to begin with so it doesn't bother me.( I always get designer brands with like new apparences) With the maternity clothes I did buy I noticed they were all still quite new looking and up to date in the style. I got a Pea In The Pod tan skirt, polka dot blouse, Liz Lang dark wash skinny jeans and Motherhood grey top & Tan pants. I am super excited about each item plus they were $0.99 - $4.99 each!