Babies on the Brain

Weekly Chat - August 27

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

What are you looking forward to this week?

What are you dreading? 

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? 

Random thoughts?

GTKY: I am dreaming of cooler fall weather :) when does the weather start cooling off where you live? 

Re: Weekly Chat - August 27

• What are you looking forward to this week? Friday? I have SO much going on and this weekend will be a long weekend so bring it on!

What are you dreading? Keeping up with everything planned and I have homework this week. 

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? Completing homework and catching up with housework. 

Random thoughts? My heart is aching for all those people in Texas. We just moved from that area a few years ago and still have some friends there (they are all okay) It is just terrible  :'(

GTKY: I am dreaming of cooler fall weather  when does the weather start cooling off where you live? I have a while we should gradually get cooler but I still have a long while :/
  • @glitzandglitter I know, I keep seeing such scary pictures of all that water and all that damage.   :'(

What are you looking forward to this week?  I just decided to take Tuesday off of work!  My almost-SIL is super busy with wedding planning stuff, so I told her I'd take a day to either help with the wedding or just help her relax.

What are you dreading? I have a bridal shower on Saturday that is entirely unrelated to the wedding mentioned above.  I felt bad for the friend who is planning it and offered to help, and have now spent way more time and money than I wanted to on a shower for a girl that I've seen maybe once this year?  So I'm putting all of this stuff into it, and I'm hoping it'll be not-un-enjoyable in the end.  I'll be happy when I can stop worrying about it.

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? I'm hoping to get officially hired for teaching so I can have access to the online learning system.  And be sure I'm getting paid.  And I have to get the next class ready for Thursday.

Random thoughts?  My class went well on Thursday.  But I still know absolutely nothing about what happened!  I kept hoping I'd run into someone who'd know, but everyone is super clueless!

GTKY: When does the weather start cooling off where you live?  Sigh... Never... No, it does, just not as soon as I'd like.  I always think it should be by the end of September, but the last couple of years it's been much closer to the end of October.  I should really be able to wear my sweaters in October!  But I'm trying not to get my hopes up for this year.
  • Loading the player...
  • What are you looking forward to this week? Classes start tomorrow, so... nothing? The weekend?

What are you dreading? Classes starting. Going to orientation for something I've gone to orientation for twice. Going to clinicals at the same hospital I went to clinicals at for an entire year. This whole semester right now.

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? Staying caught up on house work would be lovely.

Random thoughts? Nada.

GTKY: I am dreaming of cooler fall weather  when does the weather start cooling off where you live? It's already started to cool off. It's cooler in the mornings, and then warms up some come noon-time.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• @glitzandglitter GL with the homework and everything else you have this week! The 3-day weekend will be a great reward for surviving it. 
    @Secretstapler Handling showers (of any kind) is one of the more thankless jobs out there. I dreaded my own wedding shower, but was simultaneously so grateful people were willing to throw it for me and actually show up. And whether or not the bride-to-be fully appreciates what you've done, the friend you're helping to throw it definitely does. Store up that karma. And enjoy your day off & girl-time tomorrow! 
    @izza2 Good luck with the start of classes.

What are you looking forward to this week / What are you dreading?
     We live just outside of downtown Houston, so we're all simultaneously looking forward to Harvey moving on out of here and dreading how long that might take.  We're ourselves thankful to have a dry house for now, with power and running water no less, but it's maddening to know how many of our neighbors are suffering and be physically unable to get to them (or anywhere else, for that matter).

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? Unclear when we'll be able to go back to work but, as long as we're stuck at home, I have "habit" goals I'd like to stay on track with each day. It's small stuff - a little German studying, meditating, journaling, making the bed, reading before bed - but it helps! (So does Netflix binge watching, so let me know if you have any recs!)

Random thoughts? On Friday, I was making my mental checklist of things I wanted to be sure were out of the water's reach / easily accessible in case we needed to evacuate. It was pretty incredible to realize: there's not that much on it. My phone, some important papers and old journals, some needlework of my great grandmother's... and my BBT thermometer and OPKs (ha). Most of the "things" that are precious to me are memories, and so many of those now live in a cloud somewhere.

GTKY: When does the weather start cooling off where you live? The first break in the heat usually comes around October 1, with the first "cold" (we use this term loosely in southeast TX) snap right in time for Halloween!
  • What are you looking forward to this week?  I'm boring this week, not much.  The long weekend for sure, and getting out of work early on Friday.

What are you dreading? Also not much here.

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week?  Getting a bunch of picture frames filled and hung.  We've been in our apartment 2 years and barely have anything done as far as decorating.  We have frames purchased, pictures printed, and an idea of where we want them to go.  Now we just have to implement the plan!

Random thoughts?  I'm 95% sure I broke a toe on Saturday night.  I might be the klutziest person ever, and I live in tight quarters.  I also move at about 100 mph at all times.  I was heading into the kitchen on a mission and stubbed my toe on a kitchen chair.  It knocked the wind out of me and I yelled some sort of profanity.  Now it hurts to touch and is all sorts of lovely purple colors.  Sigh.  

GTKY: I am dreaming of cooler fall weather  when does the weather start cooling off where you live?  Its starting now!  Its been about 75 during the day and getting down into the low 50's at night.  The mornings are feeling so crisp and fall like!  We'll probably get one final heat wave in September.

@emiliadkay   It looks like you guys are in for a long storm.  Stay safe!  

@Secretstapler  You sound like an amazing friend/SIL to help with all of this wedding related stuff!

@glitzandglitter Good luck with the homework!

@izza2  Sorry for the annoying repetition in your semester 
    :/ 
  • @glitzandglitter My DH has some family in Texas, so yeah, we're a little concerned about everyone down there at the moment. Good luck with your homework and housework!

@Secretstapler Yay for having tomorrow off! I hope the bridal shower goes well, all things considered. Our weather sounds a lot like yours, to be honest.

@izza2 I'm sorry you have so much repetition this semester!

@emiliadkay Please stay safe! I hope your neighbors are okay. How long have you been studying German?

@KFrob We've been in our apartment two years as well and don't have much decorating done, either! I hope your toe feels better soon! Can you ice it or anything? I remember reading that there isn't much they can do for broken toes, aside from ice and rest.

What are you looking forward to this week? We were going to go see my mom tomorrow, but we remembered that DH has a stress test for his heart in the afternoon, so we're actually going to go down there tonight and stay the night. We also won tickets to an employee-only event at one of the water parks on Friday night, so that'll be fun. We're really looking forward to it. Beyond that, not much.

What are you dreading? I had a pelvic ultrasound two weeks ago and haven't heard the results yet. When there are delays in results, I always start to worry. So... This is fun. I know they have a lot of patients and everything, I just... I was told I'd hear by the following Friday and it's now been two weeks.

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? Not that I can think of. All the laundry is done and put away for once. Not much to do in the way of housework, aside from maintaining. 

Random thoughts? Still dealing with quite a bit of pain. It's not as bad as the other day was, but I'm usually at a 5 or 6. 

GTKY: I am dreaming of cooler fall weather :) when does the weather start cooling off where you live? I live in central Florida, so it's hot most of the year. When it cools off varies. Some years it cools off very early, some years not until January. So we'll see what happens. It was actually nice and cool yesterday, but it also rained almost all day.

Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • @dreamscapes_  I thought about going to a walk in clinic, but then Dr Google told me they don't do much about it so I decided to save the money and not go.  I'm glad to hear your pain has toned down a bit and you have a fun water park adventure to look forward to!  Sorry you haven't heard about your test results, that's so frustrating.  
  • @glitzandglitter GL with the homework and housework! C'mon weekend!

@Secretstapler I hope you have fun planning with SIL to be. Wedding planning is the best! Sorry that you got roped into someone you're not that close to's party though. Hoping it's a good time!

@izza2 Sorry you're stuck in boring orientation again! Hopefully it goes fast

@emiliadkay So glad you're safe and relatively unscathed so far! Hopefully things clear up soon. GLOW was good on Netflix. Narcos comes back soon and I enjoyed the first two seasons. Also OITNB and Stranger Things. Viel Gluck on your Deutsch!

@KFrob Yikes on the toe! It's a very universal thing that when you stub your toe the only thing to do is curse

@dreamscapes_ Sorry you've not gotten your results back. And DH having a stress test, that's a lot going on. Hopefully your water park trip is fun!

What are you looking forward to this week? We are going to the beach on Wednesday for the long weekend. I looooove the beach and I am so excited.

What are you dreading? Packing I guess? And cleaning the house.

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? Just enjoy the last drops of summer at the beach.

Random thoughts? Can't believe GoT is already over :'(

GTKY: I am dreaming of cooler fall weather when does the weather start cooling off where you live? Kinda late, maybe October before it really starts to feel cool. Usually not wearing coats and sweaters until November.

• Hey everybody :) I unintentionally ghosted halfway through last week... I was busier than I thought! But I hope you are all well. 

@glitzandglitter Good luck with your busy week!
    @Secretstapler Glad your class is going well. Hopefully the bridal shower will be fun for you!
    @izza2 I'm jealous that it's already cooling off where you are. I hope your semester ends up being bearable! How much time do you have left in school?
    @emiliadkay Stay safe! I can't believe they're calling for so much more rain still. The photos that are circulating are terrifying.
    @KFrob ouch, your poor toe!!
    @dreamscapes_ Hope you get your results soon. If you don't I'd definitely call them, someone might have just messed up and forgot to call. Enjoy the water park!
    @lifesabeach85 Please enjoy the beach for me! DH and I usually take a summer beach trip for a few days, but this year we went on a longer vacation elsewhere instead, so I am missing it.

What are you looking forward to this week? The long weekend at the end of it!

What are you dreading? School started back today, which doesn't impact my life much, other than the traffic is so much worse in the mornings on the way to work. No more sleeping in for me!

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? A lot of little odds and ends, plus sticking to my fitness goals for the week.

Random thoughts? Anyone like doing dance workouts?? If yes you should check out The Fitness Marshall on youtube. A friend of mine told me about him recently and his videos are hilarious... plus a good workout :) 

GTKY: I am dreaming of cooler fall weather  when does the weather start cooling off where you live? Usually by October.  In September people start acting like it's fall, but they are in denial... it's still hot.
  • @izza2 Ugh, I hate having to repeat trainings and things like that.  Good luck!  I hope you’re enjoying your cooler weather, I’m way jealous.

@emiliadkay Seriously, I’ve gotten a little worried that someone spent this kind of time and money on my shower because it seems really excessive.  I’m horrified to think someone did it for me and I was as oblivious. 

Also, I’m so glad to hear you’re okay!  I hope you’re able to enjoy your unplanned time off, at least to the extent that you can in the middle of a national disaster.

@kfrob Good luck with your toe!  I think you’re right, there’s not much you can do.  I think if you go to the doctor they’ll just tape it to the next toe and tell you to wear stiff soled shoes.  So I guess you can try that?  Also, watch out for infection.

@dreamscapes_That really sucks that you’re in so much pain.  I hope you are able to find something that helps.  Have you called about the ultrasound?  In my experience, things like that are late because someone was supposed to call but somehow didn’t, or they just got bogged down.  But I do exactly the same thing and stress over it.  Also, to be honest, when I get really grumpy about the heat, I remind myself that at least I don’t live in Florida ;)

@lifesabeach85 Have fun at the beach!  I think it took a couple of weeks before I suddenly read your username and got the joke.  And then I laughed out loud.

@diaphena I like dance workouts!  I’ll have to look into that.  Also, I already forgot that we have a long weekend coming.  Now I’m excited again!

Hi @amandamarie2!  Welcome!  I have a 20-month-old son.  I think I started thinking about another one around then, too?  But I was definitely not ready for one yet.

• Anyone who wants the cooler weather can feel free to take it! :lol:
    I want sunshine and heat. For like a week straight, at least. :smile:

@diaphena - I have two semesters (~8.5 months, not that I'm counting...) left, but it's really only 4 classes that I can't take any quicker, unfortunately. Two regular nursing classes with clinicals, and two online pharmacology classes.
    I threw in two easy online computer classes (typing and word processing!) this semester so that I could be FT and get the Excelsior Scholarship to cover the last of my tuition. :tongue:

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• @KFrob Love your goal for the week. To me, selecting the photos and placement seems like 90% of the chore, so I've no doubt you'll finish off the project this week. Did you go with any sort of theme? Family photos? Travel?

@dreamscapes_ Hope you enjoy the water park, and that it's an enjoyable distraction from the delayed results. Echoing @Secretstapler ecretstapler, maybe try calling them to get an explanation for the delay, if you haven't already? It means nothing other than (as you said) they're busy, but checking in with them may help you to worry less. I've been "studying" German with Rosetta Stone off and on for about 18 months now. I wanted to take German classes, and DH thought I should try to get through the RS program first, to test whether I'd really stick with it before dropping the $ and time on a "real" class. By this Christmas I'll do it, dadgummit!

@lifesabeach85 Feel you on the GoT loss! This was the fastest season. I thought I hated gap weeks more than anything, but having things over this quickly feels worse. And now we have to cancel HBO... thank you for the show recommendations! Narcos is officially in the queue! (A friend from HS recommended Jane the Virgin and DH likes you a lot better.)

@diaphena Isn't it crazy how clearly you can see whether school's in or out of session just from the roads? GL with the fitness goals. I LOVE dance workouts (despite being terrible at them) and will check The Fitness Marshall out!

@amandamarie2 Welcome! Are you and YH hoping for a big family, or just one where the kids are close in age (or freedom from diapers for you, sooner ;) )? We are still a family of two so have no idea what we're really talking about, but I think I want 3 or 4 kiddos and MH is adamant 2 is plenty... we'll see.

@Secretstapler Ahhh! The cleverness of "lifesabeach" went completely over my head until you just spelled it out for me... @lifesabeach85 - well done.

• Welcome @amandamarie2

@Secretstapler and @emiliadkay hope you both like him! And don't worry I'm terrible at them too... I feel like I have decent rhythm but I'm just not that coordinated lol. Sometimes I can't keep up with him, but usually the back up dancers are doing slightly different moves and I can follow those.

@izza2 I like the way you think, with your extra classes this semester haha :) good luck with it all!

Fellow GOT fans... I am in such denial that it's over for the season. It probably won't hit me til there's nothing new on Sunday. It's gonna be a looong wait!
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited August 2017
    @emiliadkay  The plan is to do one of those Pottery Barn-esk walls with the different style and sized frames.  However, I am a tad OCD and its hard for me not to be too matchy matchy.  The picture theme is just family pictures.  

@amandamarie2  Welcome!!  

edit, words are hard
  • @KFrob Yeah, they don't really do much aside from ice and rest for broken toes. I'm really looking forward to the water park! It's an employee only event, so it should be an interesting night! I just called the doctor's office, so I'll get a phone call at some point.

@lifesabeach85 He has a heart condition and it hasn't been evaluated since he was a teenager, so we just want to get it looked at. He's been having some syncopal episodes lately (mostly when he's been very active, so, sex causes them sometimes). I hope you guys have a wonderful time at the beach! We were going to go to one today, but we're just hanging out with my mom instead.

@diaphena Ugh, I hate school traffic. We're right by a couple of schools, so the traffic near us is ridiculous when they're getting in and out.

@amandamarie2 Welcome aboard! Have fun with your hike!

@Secretstapler I'm sure they just got busy and forgot to call, but you know how the brain works. I called them just a little bit ago, so we'll see how long it takes them to get back to me. The heat is a little obnoxious this year, but I'm very happy to be living in Florida. I'm doing a lot better mentally than I was in Chicago and dealing with the winters!

@izza2 Come visit me, you'll be fine ;)

@emiliadkay I did call! So we'll see what they say. They're usually pretty quick about calling back. I actually took German in high school and college! I really enjoyed it, I've just forgotten nearly all of it. I downloaded Duolingo on my phone and that helps some, but it's so basic that I'm like "Okay, come on, can't I skip all this?"
  • @emiliadkay I'm glad you're safe!

@KFrob sorry about your toe!

@dreamscapes_ in my experience they call faster if something is wrong.

@amandamarie2 welcome!

What are you looking forward to this week?
    Well, my birthday was Monday and I went shopping yesterday, so now I guess I'm looking forward to the weekend?

What are you dreading? 
    Well, I have an OBGYN appointment Thursday, and I'm going to ask her about TTC in cycle zero, but I'm guessing she'll just say to wean. Not what I want to hear.

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? 
    Clean the house. I guess that's the never ending goal.

Random thoughts?
    Thinking of everyone affected by the hurricane. Such a crazy storm.

GTKY: I am dreaming of cooler fall weather  when does the weather start cooling off where you live? 
    Sonetimes it's cool by Halloween, sometimes not. It's actually been a bit cooler than usual, but I imagine it will get hotter again before fall weather is really here.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @Secretstapler my current kids are 23 months apart. It can be crazy sometimes but I really like it.

@emiliadkay We've always talked about 4 kids. We want 3 for sure. There were definitely moments after DD was born that we were thinking 3 would be good but once we got out of the newborn stage I started dreaming about 4 again. I have a feeling we'll end up there in the end haha. I like the close age gap ideally too, once you get a taste of sleeping and going out again it's hard to go back lol. 

@lalala2004 how often does your LO nurse? Cutting down on feedings might be enough to get things going. I was able to get pregnant while nursing DS but only after cutting down to only a couple sessions a day so my period finally came back. He was 12.5 months when it came back and I got pregnant a couple months later. 

Anniversary

• @lalala2004 - Happy (late) birthday :)
    @diaphena - me too! I can't believe it is already over :( This season went by way too fast
  • lalala2004lalala2004 member
    edited August 2017
    @amandamarie2
    2-3 times during the day and 2-3 times at night. I tried to night wean at 13 months and I got mastitis. I hope to try again in a few months. I think he may actually be ready, soon. He eats more food and mostly just nurses to go to sleep. I think I'm going to wait until Christmas break when I have some time off work. It will mean some sleepless nights, I'm sure.
    ETA I spoilered because I thought I was in TTGP :lol: I don't know how to unspoiler :tongue:
    *Siggy Warning*

• @lalala2004 Pick up anything fun on the shopping trip? Let us know if you get any good suggestions from your OB today - and good luck!

@amandamarie2 So true. I'm a fan of the 'power through' philosophy!

@dreamscapes_ That's awesome! Have you ever had a chance to travel to Germany/Austria and use it? If you give up on Duolingo, consider giving iTalki a try. They offer Skype-based language classes with certified teachers, most native speakers and still living in their home country. You have to dig a little, but you can often find good half hour one-on-one classes for ~ $10 a pop. I think it would be hard (or at least expensive) to learn a language from scratch in that format, but as a way to dust off a language you already know it works really well.
  • @emiliadkay I got a few things, but my favorite was a cute cardigan with pineapples on it. I wore it yesterday and got a bunch of compliments on it already.
    *Siggy Warning*

• What is everyone up to this weekend? Got anything fun planned?For US bumpies - do you have Monday off? 

I am just hanging around the house this weekend. It is glorious! I have so much to catch up on and it is so nice to finally have a chance to get it done. I spent 2.5 hours cleaning so I am now taking a break to bump and order fall scented soaps from bath and body works :)
  • What is everyone up to this weekend? Got anything fun planned?For US bumpies - do you have Monday off? 

I am just hanging around the house this weekend. It is glorious! I have so much to catch up on and it is so nice to finally have a chance to get it done. I spent 2.5 hours cleaning so I am now taking a break to bump and order fall scented soaps from bath and body works :)
    We went to a local orchard this morning for some outside play, wagon rides, and cider donuts! No apple picking until next weekend but it sure feels like fall here! LO is napping atm and I plan to hit up a playground when he wakes up. Tomorrow we're taking a day trip to Burlington for some shopping, and Monday no plans yet other than relaxing! Hopefully a bonfire though if its not too chilly (yes its already that cold here!!). 

I SO look forward to weekends of catching up on housework and organizing. Our house is such a mess right now from all the traveling we did this summer. I need to stock up on some fall scents from Yankee Candle too :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Look at y'all getting on the fall bandwagon already and I'm trying to squeeze the last drops out of summer. We are at the beach and having a blast. Lucked out on weather so far and DD is loving the water.  She hates wearing her floatation device and daddy holding her in the waves but she can't swim so tough luck kiddo. 

DH has Monday off but we will be driving home  :'(

• mrsmtothekmrsmtothek member
    edited September 2017
    Look at y'all getting on the fall bandwagon already and I'm trying to squeeze the last drops out of summer. We are at the beach and having a blast. Lucked out on weather so far and DD is loving the water.  She hates wearing her floatation device and daddy holding her in the waves but she can't swim so tough luck kiddo. 

DH has Monday off but we will be driving home  :'(
    Haha well its already in the 60s here during the day and 40s at night! So its a bit hard to hang onto summer :( Trust me though I wish I could. Our summer was entirely too short. 

Hope you guys had a great beach day!! Enjoy!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It's still a billion degrees and humid here, so yeah, I'm a bit tired of summer at this point :)

We don't really have anything planned for this weekend. DH is working Monday, but I'm off because I'm always off Monday and Tuesday. The water park event was a lot of fun, even if we got rained out with an hour left of it. DH wanted to go on this one water slide, which is basically a roller coaster in a tube, and we did it twice because there was no line. Probably shouldn't have, all things considered, but I'm a little tired of having to work around my back. We spent most of the evening floating around the lazy river.

Oh, and I finally heard back from the doctor's office. Everything was normal, so yay on that.

@emiliadkay I've never been to Germany, but I was supposed to go when I was in high school as part of an honors exchange trip. Unfortunately, the person I was supposed to exchange with bailed, so I wasn't able to go.
  • @dreamscapes_ That's awesome!  Good for you!
  • @diaphena Thank you! They said it'll take a month or two before a trainer position pops up, but that they'll recommend me for it when it does :)
  • @dreamscapes_ that's great! I hope a position pops up soon!
    *Siggy Warning*