September 2017 Moms

Membrane Sweep

Got my membrane swept today. Success stories? Did it work for you?

Re: Membrane Sweep

• I had mine swept at 39 weeks with my first kiddo. Didn't do the trick for me, but I hope it starts things for you!
    ***TW***
    RAD born 6/2015 |  mc at 7 weeks 9/2016 | rainbow baby RHD born 9/2017
  • I had one also around 39 weeks I believe, and it did not do anything for me either. DD was born about a week later. But you never know! Good luck!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • ashley2824ashley2824 member
    edited August 2017
    I've had it 3 times so far this pregnancy. 1st- 38.4 weeks- nada, 2nd- 40.1 weeks- nada, 3rd- 40.4 weeks (today)- waiting and seeing. I've had more cramping this last time though, hoping it's a good sign. Really hoping to avoid induction set for Tuesday! Good luck!

ETA: Dr said I'm 2-3 cm (been that way for the last 2 weeks) and my cervix is very soft and has gotten thinner. 
  • Had one with my first at 39+4 and I had DS1 10h later.  MW said it only works if your body is ready to go into labor though.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Ive never had it before but I think my doctor plans on doing giving me a membrane sweep now that they plan to induce me. How soon before induction would they do a membrane sweep? I'm being induced on Wednesday and was 2-3cm dialated at my last appointment. So hoping to go into labor naturally before then!

@ashley2824 I didn't know this was something that could be done more than once. Do they think maybe they didn't fully separate the membranes the 1st time so they repeat?
  • jenn622-2 said:
    Ive never had it before but I think my doctor plans on doing giving me a membrane sweep now that they plan to induce me. How soon before induction would they do a membrane sweep? I'm being induced on Wednesday and was 2-3cm dialated at my last appointment. So hoping to go into labor naturally before then!

@ashley2824 I didn't know this was something that could be done more than once. Do they think maybe they didn't fully separate the membranes the 1st time so they repeat?
    The doctor can do the sweep multiple times if you are so inclined. It is just intended to cause irritation that hopefully will cause the uterus to respond with contractions. It's not guaranteed to work and is really only effective if your body is already ready to go into labor.

If your doctor was planning to do one to help you go into labor on your own, they probably would have done it at your last appointment since yourninduction is scheduled for Wednesday. If you have another appointment between now and Wednesday, you could ask for it then. I know in our area unless you are working with a midwife birth center that does not offer pain relief or induction meds, they do not do a membrane sweep during the induction since it isn't guaranteed to start labor.
  • Thank you @JNR6510

I have another appointment this afternoon and the day before induction so maybe they will do it then. Just hoping to avoid a lot of induction meds but since they are inducing me at 37 weeks I wasn't sure if they wanted to "risk" doing it today and me going into labor before then. I'll let you ladies know how it works for me! I feel like my body is ready for labor... feeling so much pressure when I walk!
  • I had an appt on Monday 8/21 and she swept my membranes. I went in for induction the next day at 8 pm, already having painless contractions.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • I had a membrane sweep at 39+6. Went into labor the next day and gave birth at 40+1! 
  • @wannabeamongoose There are no dumb questions; only dumb people.
    Kidding. I am not sure I totally understand the logic either. I think the best case scenario for a membrane sweep would be if you are facing having an induction and want to avoid it, a membrane sweep could help you naturally go into labor.

Obviously they do them for people without scheduled inductions too, so for those cases, it could just be a matter of starting your contractions tonight instead of them starting on their own tomorrow night assuming your body is about to start it up anyway. But yeah, if your body is still a week away from being "ready" for real labor, it won't do anything. That's my understanding of it anyway, taken from my doctor and the interwebz. *shrug*
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yeah I just had one Tuesday (my 40 week apt) and it did nothing. It didn't hurt and didn't cause any contractions or cramps at all. Still pregnant af. So over it right now. 
  • On average, membrane sweep accelerate labor by a few days (usually 2-4). But not if you aren't ready at all. 

Anecdotally, it worked for me. Had sweep Tues (40w+2d) at 4:30pm, and water broke at 1am this am.  Still in labor but getting there.  GL, ladies!
  • Good luck @Knottie1469136344!! Hope everything is going well.

@wannabeamongoose I've been wondering the same thing. I've been offered a membrane sweep if I'm still pregnant next Fri, which is my 40w appointment. I guess there's nothing to lose by having it right?
  • Thank you!  Still waiting; just had some pitocin at 8cm.  Can't wait!!!

As for the membrane sweep, there aren't very many downsides but there are a few.  I didn't find it very painful but some do.  See this great video: https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-on-membrane-sweeping/
  • kmac1982kmac1982 member
    edited September 2017
    My OB tried this morning, and said I'm a "very tight 1 cm" at 38+5. It hurt a lot, but I think it's because he was determined to get in there and shake things up. He was confident that I would not go into labour before my appointment next Tuesday. I'm really sore and have spotting now, but if he can encourage any action I'm all for it. I can't handle going 12 days over like I did with DS!!