February 2018 Moms
Options

Solar Eclipse

Hi Everyone,

Who's watching the solar eclipse today?

Have you heard of any of the superstitions around pregnant women staying indoors?

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
Rainbow Due 02/20/18

Re: Solar Eclipse

• Options
    I live in Mexico and this is a commom superstition..
    ive heard its all myths...but i wont be out during eclipse im on vacation and resting today!! 
  • Options
    I'm planning on staying indoors but I wonder if there will be a mass exodus from my building when it happens. I may be an outlier, I just don't care about the eclipse at all.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not interested in the eclipse! Didn't get glasses, and not making one out of cardboard. Bet these glasses won't work, either :)

• Options
    It's raining and extremely cloudy here right now, so I'll be missing it.
  • Options
    I have to run errands and husband is worried that all the wackos will be out... :s I'm sure it will be fine, but his worry is freaking me out! I cant help but think of the purge movies thanks to him... 

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
    Rainbow Due 02/20/18

• Options
    I wouldn't look at the sun on a normal day and don't plan to today. We are staying inside bc I know one of my kids would be the one to go blind. 
  • Options
    mayapple44mayapple44 member
    edited August 2017
    @fishyfishfish234 I love your excitement about it!!! Im not at all interested in it and have no idea why, but science is fun and these events should be celebrated. Maybe next time I will be on board   ;)
  • Options
    @fishyfishfish234 how did you score glasses?? So jealous, everywhere within 20 miles of me has been sold out for many weeks.  I'm going to make a cereal box thing soon and will try that. NASA is streaming it live on their FB page too.  I love anything to do with astronomy. 
  • Options
    I teach so our school has a bunch of glasses for the kids to go out and see it in groups (though they made us come in late and stay late today for the whole thing....) I did get to go see the early bit of it a few minutes ago and it was pretty cool! I doubt I'll be able to go out during the peak time though since I'll have a class.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    I'll go out to see it bc I happened to get a free pair of glasses otherwise I probably wouldn't of gone. It's only about 70% by me
  • Options
    We are in the path of totality-- school was cancelled for "increased insurance risk".  I put DS down for a nap and hung out with DH and some guys that work for him.  We had a little eclipse gathering--grilled, sun chips, moon pies, and brownies (not the theme, but I am pregnant and wanted them).  I wasn't super excited about it--but it was hilarious to see these guys in their mid 20's and 30's freaking out over how cool it was.  It was neat--but I am not someone that would be an "eclipse chaser" by any means! 
  • Options
    I'm in the "don't really care" care camp too. :/ It's crazy how many people are freaking out about it! I think it's over here. Facebook/Instagram are littered with poor quality photos of it. I think it's cool in general for astronomy and such, but I'm not that interested in astronomy and not any more so today vs. other days. And ditto to I don't look at the sun other days, wasn't planning to today either.
  • Options
    I liked the opportunity to see something like that.
    I was at work at the time and one of our customers brought in a welders mask and let us all use it so we could see the eclipse. Was pretty neat to see.
    I wasn't gunho about it by any means but i love seeing stuff like that that you wouldn't get to see on an everyday basis.
  • Options
    farmrosefarmrose member
    edited August 2017
    We live where it was 100% but at the time there was a huge cloud covering the sun. Kinda disappointing. We saw it right before totality. It got really dark outside so it was a cool experience. But if it didn't happen where I live...I wouldn't have cared a lick honestly.
  • Options
    I went to an eclipse party and it was fun! Had glasses and lunch and was with lots of friends. It was fun, but now I feel kind of sick from being out in the heat. 
  • Options
    We don't live in the path of totality, but I still had my glasses and pretty much my whole office was outside watching it.  I thought it was pretty cool and definitely worth seeing.
    DS 2.07.15
    #2 due 2.15.18
  • Options
    I don't care much about it either. But it's nice to finally hear about something in the news and on social media that isn't hatred/politically charged/depressing! 
  • Options
    So I was one of the super excited eclipse nerds. DH and I planned our trip to the path of totality before I even knew I was pregnant. We drove 5 hours and spent the wknd in St. Louis. It was so amazing and the weather was perfect for viewing (just HOT whew). Seeing the sun's coronas was beautiful. Of course a few weeks before the trip I start hearing about these pregnancy/eclipse superstitions. I am not a very superstitious person at all but I ended up wearing red underwear and a metal safety pin 'just in case' lol.