September 2017 Moms

Fundal height

I will be 36 weeks tomorrow but measuring 34 today. She said baby has dropped and is not concerned. Anyone else dealing with baby dropping early causing fundal height to not match up? 

Re: Fundal height

• My baby has dropped so low she could feel the head last week at my 36 wk appointment but it didn't cause me to measure less. She had also made it clear that I'm having another good sized baby so maybe that's why? Sorry you have to worry about that though. I would hope that since your doc wasn't concerned that means all is well?! I know my hormones are in over drive right now so I would be freaking out too!
  • I have measured behind around this time all 3 pregnancies. At my last spot I was 35w and measuring 31, which was the same I had measured at my 33 wk appt. Each time I've had an u/s to confirm that baby is growing well and baby has looked fine. I think everyone just carries differently. My babies like to nestle up in my rib cage. Ugh. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Do they measure this by your belly size (externally) or by ultrasound? I assume belly size as baby couldn't suddenly measure smaller on ultrasound but my doctor has never measured my belly and only confirms growth size via ultrasound... is this something he should be doing?

When baby drops is this a subtle thing that some women notice and some don't? Could you tell baby dropped before the doctor/midwife told you it happened?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with this... your question only led me to more questions!
  • This happened with my first. I had a couple ultra sounds because I was measuring small. My daughter was born at 39 weeks 20 inches 8lbs 8 ozs try not to worry unless your doctor is. 
  • I've dropped and i'm still measuring 36 weeks. 
  • My fundal height matched by gestational weeks exactly up until 34 weeks, then it stopped increasing. My midwives send you for a growth scan if the fundal height measures behind 2 weeks in a row. So after measuring at 34 weeks during my 35 and 36 week check-ups, I got a growth scan just to be safe. The ultrasound confirmed that he's measuring at my exact gestational age, is in the 55th percentile for weight (est. 6 lbs 10 oz at 36w 3d) and has a good amount of amniotic fluid. The ultrasound showed he had his legs tucked in with his feet up by his head.

Fundal height measurements are not very precise. If your doctor isn't concerned, then you have no need to stress about the mismatch in weeks/measurements. But you can always request a growth scan if it will ease your mind. I found mine to be very reassuring.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks!  It was measured by my belly.  I have another appointment Monday and if it is still small I think I am going to request an ultrasound.  There are times in the past couple weeks I have noticed way more pressure in my pelvis but I swear I still feel hiccups on the higher side.  She could feel babies head though while doing the cervical check.
  • jenn622-2 said:
    When baby drops is this a subtle thing that some women notice and some don't? Could you tell baby dropped before the doctor/midwife told you it happened?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with this... your question only led me to more questions!
    Same question here. Last night MIL was like "oh, is baby dropping?" and I was like I don't have any idea how I'm supposed to even know that. And this is not my first rodeo. I got the same questions with my first and I had no idea. But I'm going with no she hasn't dropped yet because I can still feel the head versus the butt with my fingers on my belly. I mean if she's dropped then wouldn't the head be too low for me to feel so easily?

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • jenn622-2 said:

Same question here. Last night MIL was like "oh, is baby dropping?" and I was like I don't have any idea how I'm supposed to even know that. And this is not my first rodeo. I got the same questions with my first and I had no idea. But I'm going with no she hasn't dropped yet because I can still feel the head versus the butt with my fingers on my belly. I mean if she's dropped then wouldn't the head be too low for me to feel so easily?
    I carry really, really high. So when DD dropped, I could notice it really easily. For weeks, I couldn't eat anything without feeling overly full. But once she dropped, I was able to eat more and breathe more easily.
  • @jenn622-2 I could tell when our LO dropped because of the feeling of her head pressed against my cervix. I noticed a sudden increase in pressure from her descent. 
  • @JustBored10 how did the appointment go?

I feel like I was carrying low mostly due to pelvic discomfort and the fact that baby has been head down my whole pregnancy. When I get ultrasounds they are pretty much on my pubic bone when looking at the head but people make comments that my belly is really high (gotta love those unsolicited comments!)
  • @jenn622-2 my appointment is next Monday :(  I will keep you updated! 
  • @jenn622-2 I don't get any u/s except the a/s unless there's something to be concerned about, so all my measurements have been fundal height measurements measured by my midwife holding the "0" end of the measuring tape at my pubic bone and seeing where the top of my uterus goes to.  It is definitely not super accurate, but a general "yes, you're growing at a good rate" or "hm, we should schedule an u/s to check on this". Another midwife measured me when mine was on holidays and her measurement threw off my growth curve (my midwife said the other mw is "more generous" with her measurements than she is herself, so it's definitely just useful for general trends and not specifics). My mw has never even told me my actual measurements, just "you're good, he's growing well".

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Just a comment on the "will I feel my baby dropping" thing - I asked my OBGYN about this today and he said most FTM won't notice baby dropping because it is so subtle and happens slowly, not all at once.
  • @JustBored10, I'm in the same boat now of measuring the same at my last two appointments. Trying not to worry though because baby is definitely sitting low, I'm petite, and it was a different midwife today. But I'll feel better if I measure bigger at my next appointment. Although it's hard to imagine getting any bigger at this point, I feel as big as I did when I went into labor last time at 41+3 and I'm only 37 weeks today  :o 
  • @Carebella the last few days I have definitely felt baby very low in my pelvis. I'm anxiously awaiting Monday's appointment to see what I'm measuring. I still want to request an ultrasound to check on baby and fluid levels if nothing has changed. Keep me updated on your situation!
  • @JustBored10 same goes! I'm guessing if I don't measure a full unit bigger I'll need the reassurance of an ultrasound as well. Especially after waking up yesterday to a nightmare about having an emergency c section :'( Thankfully I don't have to wait a full week for my next appointment, it's on the 23rd. I'll definitely cross my fingers for you and check back on Monday  :)
  • @Carebella I was measuring 35 should be 37 so I will be getting an ultrasound tomorrow morning. DS was 8 pounds exactly and my midwife told me today that I will definitely not be having another 8 pound baby by what she can tell. So hopefully LO is measuring small but healthy. 
  • @JustBored10 I'd definitely try to be encouraged that you went from 34 to 35 at least. But it will definitely be good to get the ultrasound tomorrow just to make sure all is well <3

My DS was only 7lb11oz, and 20.75", but has been near the top of the height chart pretty quickly after birth and through now. DH is 6'2" and 215lbs, I'm 5'2" and normally about 125lbs, so baby only has so much room to get big inside. I started at 130lbs this pregnancy though and am at 158lbs now with baby sitting low. I really didn't want to gain more than 25 but maybe that's also part of what's going on is baby needs more food? My mind is definitely going a little crazy until Wednesday. Could also be a smaller baby like what your midwife suspects...
  • That's great news!
  • @JustBored10 yay for healthy baby!!! Silly fundal height measurements trying to scare us  :p