February 2018 Moms
Options

Doppler

Do you have a Doppler- or have used one in a previous pregnancy? What are your thoughts on using them at home? 

Re: Doppler

• Options
    I think they can cause more anxiety than reassurance. Especially early in the pregnancy when the heartbeat can be harder to find even by a medically trained professional. And by the time you might easily be able to find it on your own using one, you will start feeling baby movement. I personally would not purchase one. 
  • Options
    I would have to agree with @meatball37! I purchased a used one on one of the Facebook sites since I didn't have a checkup between 6 and 15 weeks. We have found the heartbeat once, which was amazing! But we haven't been able to find it since and it took a few weeks to find it the first time! We have put ours away for now and are waiting until our appointment to get a better idea of where baby is hiding out! 
    If you are buying it in hopes to hear the heartbeat every now and then then I would go for it. But if you are buying it in hopes of having some peace of mind I wouldn't! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Definitely what @meatball37 said. My DD was also a huge wiggler and even the nurse and doctor had to keep searching for her on the doppler because she kept moving away from the little pressure it created on my tummy. I can't imagine doing that myself...it'd definitely make my anxiety go up if I couldn't find him or her.

• Options
    I borrowed one from a friend during my first pregnancy, and purchased my own this time around. I'll be 11 weeks tomorrow, and I found baby for the first time at 10+2, and again today (didn't try in between). I found my DS right at 10 weeks. There are tons of YouTube videos that kind of give you an idea of how to search for baby. It's important to keep in mind at first your uterus is still for the most part behind and below your pubic bone. Both times I've found baby I've had he Doppler right above the pubic bone and almost pointing downward behind it. 

I for sure agree that searching for the baby can create lots of anxiety (especially if you come up empty handed), but once you get the hang of it and as the baby grows it's really nice to have. 
  • Options
    I would not purchase one. They tend to cause more anxiety than helpfulness. I agree with everything @meatball37 said. 
  • Options
    Personally, I wouldn't purchase one. I have to start using one to listen for changes in the baby's heartbeat in a month. They stressed me out just explaining how difficult it is at the beginning to find it.

To each their own. I have a friend that used one in her pregnancy and loved it. But I echo a PP that said you will start feeling movement soon and won't feel the need. 
  • Options
    soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited August 2017
    I've used one during every pregnancy. The one I used throughout my first four pregnancies worked really well and was able to pick up the heart beat between 8.5-9 weeks. I had it for 10 years before it broke. I used the Sonoline B during my last pregnancy. It took a little longer due to the smaller surface area of the probe. It worked fine once I knew where to look, and it gets much easier to locate the further along you get. I was able to find this little bean's heart beat over the weekend just above my pubic bone in the center. I had to aim in down a little. It will be lower than you expect at this point.

Having a doppler absolutely helped reduce my anxiety as I got further along, especially during my last two pregnancies. Once movements slowed and a cold drink didn't wake them up, or I just needed quick reassurance, it was nice to have.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    Just me on my soapbox here, but further along hearing a heartbeat in the presence of decreased fetal movement does not mean everything is ok. If you have decreased movement (I'm talking 3rd tri) you still need to go in. 
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• Options
    Another one for agreeing with @meatball37
    and I've also heard that what @Aeml1985 said and that in that sense they can cause more harm than good.
  • Options
    I think it depends on your personality, too. If you are going to freak out if you can't find the heartbeat, you should pass.

I had one my last pregnancy and liked using it before I could feel baby move. I didn't use it much once he started moving. This pregnancy, however, I have a lot more anxiety (TW due to loss), so I haven't even gotten it out. I'm not sure I will because my pgal brain is less rational. 
  • Options
    @Aeml1985 - Which is why mental notes of "kick counts" is important once you hit that stage. No one said otherwise. I don't think anyone here is saying it's meant to replace kick counts as a way to assess well-being, but it can and does offer reassurance for some, which is just fine. It's for each individual to decide whether they're comfortable with using one.

I was already anxious during the end of my last two pregnancies. Having a doppler helped. For some PGAL who have a history of late term loss, it can be helpful. It's an individual thing. Just because you (general) aren't comfortable with it doesn't means others should feel the same.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    I had one with my previous pregnancies but not with this one. I will if I need to monitor the babies heart again but I'm praying we aren't going down that route. My last pregnancy my son had a fetal heart arythmia which led to an early delivery and was being monitored like crazy at home and in labor and delivery. 
  • Options
    I was thinking about buying one but everything I've looked up on them has been negative. From a false sense of reassurance to not knowing exactly if it can do anything to baby so I have decided against it so far. 
  • Options
    Interesting! I was in a Facebook mothers book page and they were commenting how it helped with there anxiety, I'm glad I asked as I think if I struggled to find the heartbeat you are all right- it probably would only stress me out more! Thanks.
  • Options
    I just bought the recommended Sonoline B, can't wait until it comes in!

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
    Rainbow Due 02/20/18

• Options
    We have a home doppler and I have tried using it a couple of times and I haven't been able to find the heartbeat once! My husband uses it and within 30 seconds he has found the heartbeat! Not sure what I'm doing wrong but he is pretty proud that he is able to find the heartbeat!!
  • Options
    @alemarie1 that's what we use. 

@kbrinks2 same! I think it's an angle thing. 
  • Options
    @ash0625 I'm glad it's not just me who can't find it herself! 
  • Options
    I havent heard many good things! I'm with @meatballs37, by the time they can offer you comfort and will pick up the heartbeat I think you will be feeling kicks and not have the need for the reassurance? 
  • Options
    I have picked up the heartbeat no problem since 9 weeks. I know that is early for most, and there were some days I would have to try again an hour later, but ever since 10 weeks there is no problem, and I am very far from feeling kicks, so it provides my infertility ptsd brain with something good to hold on to. I literally breathe a sigh of relief every time I hear it. Do whatever you think will provide you with the most comfort. 
    TTC #1 - December 2015
    Me:31 H:31
    DX: MFI - 1% Morph 
    12/16 -IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol w/ Lupron trigger
    ER - 11 retrieved- 9 mature - 7 fertilized - 3 sent for PGS on day 5 - No normals (1 XXX Embryo - may use in future)
    3/17 - IVF #2 - Antagonist Protocol w/ HCG trigger
    ER- 13 retrieved - 11 mature - 8 fertilized - 2 sent for PGS on day 5 -2 Normal
    FET #1 - 5/16/17 - BFP! - Beta #1 5/25 - 156 - Beta #2 5/30 - 2562 - Beta #3 6/1 - 5191!