July 2017 Moms

Med-free/Home/Birthing Center Birth Support Thread

13»

Re: Med-free/Home/Birthing Center Birth Support Thread

• Yes, ditto on the chiropractor as well! 
  • I will look more into hypnobabies. Thanks for the recommendation @optbaby2017 and @rjoys8! I esp like the idea of suggestions tailored to each stage.

I saw a chiropractor towards the end to help with hip and back pain , but didn't think about it possibly having contributed to the ease of delivery. 

@cait32 I love the mantra that you used! I can see something like that being especially effective while pushing. I didn't understand before my med-free delivery, but get it now!
  • Loading the player...
  • I ended up getting the epidural. I had contractions for a few days and I was just done. I made it as far as 6cm but I just couldn't catch my breath and my body started tingling. Looking back, once they gave me the oxygen mask I already felt a thousand times better. When she administered the epidural, I was sitting up and curling my back and it made the contractions much more manageable so I probably would have been able to hold on for the next hour or two if hadn't been so spent. 

What I found surprising was that the epidural didn't eliminate all pain and I was still uncomfortable during contractions and delivery hurt a whole lot too. But at least I could breathe and focus on pushing so she got out in 15 minutes. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • plumpous said:
    I ended up getting the epidural. I had contractions for a few days and I was just done. I made it as far as 6cm but I just couldn't catch my breath and my body started tingling. Looking back, once they gave me the oxygen mask I already felt a thousand times better. When she administered the epidural, I was sitting up and curling my back and it made the contractions much more manageable so I probably would have been able to hold on for the next hour or two if hadn't been so spent. 

What I found surprising was that the epidural didn't eliminate all pain and I was still uncomfortable during contractions and delivery hurt a whole lot too. But at least I could breathe and focus on pushing so she got out in 15 minutes. 
    This is how my epidural was with my first son also. It sucked. I asked for a second dose and I still felt a lot of pain during delivery. With my second, I was completely 100% numb on my lower half. It was amazing. At one point the nurse was adjusting my position and I almost said out loud "whose leg is that?" Because it didn't seems like mine when I could see her touching it but couldn't feel anything. 
  • @plumpous did you ask for the oxygen or is that something they give you as needed? I'm probably going to have to get induced Friday (fingers crossed I go into labor before then) and I'm concerned about the added stress of Pitocin on my natural birth. 
  • @plumpous did you ask for the oxygen or is that something they give you as needed? I'm probably going to have to get induced Friday (fingers crossed I go into labor before then) and I'm concerned about the added stress of Pitocin on my natural birth. Z
    They shoved it in my face because they saw my breathing was too shallow. I didn't know that was even an option. It was such a huge help though. Position matters too so much. Do not be on your back. Sit and curl forward, ideally holding on to someone you love or someone who is keeping you calm. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• plumpous said:
    @plumpous did you ask for the oxygen or is that something they give you as needed? I'm probably going to have to get induced Friday (fingers crossed I go into labor before then) and I'm concerned about the added stress of Pitocin on my natural birth. Z
    They shoved it in my face because they saw my breathing was too shallow. I didn't know that was even an option. It was such a huge help though. Position matters too so much. Do not be on your back. Sit and curl forward, ideally holding on to someone you love or someone who is keeping you calm. 
    Absolutely this 
  • Thank you! I've been looking a lot into positioning options and have already told my DH to encourage me to move and switch positions. Additionally, my mom who's a physical therapist will be with me, and will have valuable suggestions. 
  • @jkbrownstein Also make sure to ask your hospital to put any IV drips and monitors on a rolling stand with battery packs so that you can walk around.  I was induced with DD1 and that helped me to stick to a lot of the aspects of my natural birth plan like different positions, getting in the tub, bouncing on the ball etc.  They also should be able to give you waterproof fetal monitoring.  I did end up getting the epidural at the last minute but it wasn't until they convinced me to lie on my back that the pain felt truly unmanageable.  Just keep moving and find positions that work for you!

I'm looking at an induction this Sunday if I don't go naturally before then so I totally hear your fears and concerns.  I'm hoping they can just break my water this time rather than do pitocin but I'd still prefer for things to happen naturally.  Sending you lots of positive thoughts that you go naturally before tomorrow, mama!  High five for the (almost) 42 week club.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @OperaSingerMommy I hope baby comes on his/her own soon! I'm sure you'd rather avoid induction but maybe it's nice to have an end date in sight-- you'll finally get to meet that little baby!!
  • mamadcb said:
    @OperaSingerMommy I hope baby comes on his/her own soon! I'm sure you'd rather avoid induction but maybe it's nice to have an end date in sight-- you'll finally get to meet that little baby!!
    Thanks, mama!  It's definitely a relief to know I'll be done by Monday morning!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @OperaSingerMommy I was convinced I'd go into labor yesterday and now I've accepted I'm being induced tomorrow. I had painless contractions every 5 minutes for hours that never intensified. Good luck to you!!

They told me they have portable equipment in certain rooms and nurses that support natural labor as long as I make my intentions clear when I get there. I was also told they'll break my water first so hopefully it'll be enough to jump start labor without Pitocin. There'll let me shower and supply a ball but no tub which I'm fine with. 

I definitely woke up this morning at 5 in a panic about tomorrow. 
  • @jkbrownstein That sounds like a GREAT plan for tomorrow!  I will be sending positive thoughts your way and I hope that things go quickly and smoothly for you.

Ughh, contractions that don't pick up are so frustrating!  I've been having them sporadically for over two weeks and it's such a mind game to know if it's the real deal.  It means things are definitely happening with your body though so hopefully things will go faster for you!  Good luck, rooting for you!

BabyFruit Ticker