August 2017 Moms

FFFC 8/4

Starting this week's FFFC thread. Hope that's ok! 

No confessions are guaranteed flame free. :)   

Re: FFFC 8/4

• Both of my confessions are egg related.

1- I had NO IDEA I was making hard cooked eggs wrong until an earlier thread on here. Looked up how to make them and turns out that I was just boiling the sh*t out of them and they now are way better when you focus on getting a creamy yolk.

2- I still can't make fluffy scrambled eggs. They just come out looking sad. That's my next egg cooking self challenge.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @Mango517 - my rule of thumb is about 11-12 minutes for hard boiled eggs! Then I let them soak in cool water for about 5 minutes before I put them in the fridge or peel them. As for fluffly scrambled eggs, are you adding milk to them? I don't know if that's the "trick" but they come out pretty fluffy!

My FFFC is that DH had the opportunity to go away this weekend. He hemmed and hawed, but I really really didn't want him to go. I don't think this LO is ready to come out yet (I'm only 37 weeks), but the thought of wrangling both my DD and my dog all weekend by myself at 37 weeks was already making my body hurt :(. He chose not to go because the weather isn't looking ideal. Small victories!
  • @Mango517 I havent tried them, but Chef Ramsay has a crazy good looking scrambled egg recipe, Im not a huge egg person, but his look really good.  

FFFC I am planning on listening to the MW I saw yesterday, and doing a bunch of the natural and safe induction things this weekend, like sex, extra walking and spicy food.  She also told me I could pump, and I might even try that.  I never thought I would be that girl, but with how big he has gotten (even if the measurement is off by a pound, hes still large), I want him to come out!   
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • @Mango517 I hate hard boiled eggs but love soft boiled so have perfected that for ramen. It's definitely a precise process. For scrambled eggs, a splash of milk like @HappyToBeHere said, or even a splash of water (it apparently does the same thing!) is supposed to go a long way. Also, add salt at the end instead of before cooking. I go with the french omelette method but just stop a step before the end (here's a scramble recipe but I just use a good nonstick pan and a small spatula, not a wisk: https://www.jamesbeard.org/recipes/french-style-scrambled-eggs).

My FFFC is that my cousin quit her job and I'm judging hardcore because they are about to start trying to get pregnant and I think it's stupid to not take advantage of California's maternity leave policy. Granted, she's 29 and has worked for less than 2 years of her life total so this is not a huge surprise but still...my logically reasoned mind can't comprehend it. (Note: I absolutely love my cousin! We're super close, but also very different).

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• My FFFC is that I was super naive about how hard or painful breastfeeding could be. I had a good latch in the hospital with lactation, and didn't think I was doing anything different and my nipples have cracked so bad I thought I was going to vomit last night it hurt so bad. Fortunately I have a friend who has been almost like my own personal LC to check in with, but pumping, engorgement, proper latch etc has been overwhelming to learn about and I didn't read about any of it prenatally. I just figured I'd wing it and see how it goes. Which is fine, but I'm doing a ton of reading and learning now as I go. And the pediatrician said that she has to be fed every two hours, and being on that schedule has been very hard. Baby girl sleeps a lot and it's really hard to wake her up for some of those feedings. But, it's been worth it. DH and I are learning, she's thriving and all will be well. But I just can't believe how naive I was prior to starting this journey.
  • breanna428breanna428 member
    edited August 2017
    fcc: i really hope this little guy is born tonight or tomorrow(my due date) only to get back at DHs parents for deciding the weekend of my due date was a great time to go on vacation. they had promised us to take care of DD when i went into labor because they live less than a mile away. but now if he's born on time they'll be four hours away and floating down  a river on a tube hopefully not having no cell service to tell them i'm in labor. i'm horrible but so are they. lol

eta: they didn't plan this months ago either they literally decided to go camping last week.
  • I'm skipping out on my second cousins birthday dinner tonight. My carpal tunnel is absolutely killing me, intermittent back labor is brutal, AND DH popped a crown last night so he's not gonna be any shape to eat and socialize (we're headed to the dentist now and he's a typical man about pain :neutral: ). 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @erindippity I've taken a BFing class, read articles on KellyMom, had my midwives go over BFing basics again with me and I STILL feel totally unprepared for it. Now that I have ringworm all over my belly and chest, I'm even more nervous about it. So don't beat yourself up! I'm so sorry you're dealing with such pain. Hopefully your LC can help with healing your nipples so it doesn't escalate to mastitis :/ 
  • Oh I have another FFFC! 

I have 2 cousins who Im close-ish with.  They both had whoops (I think) babies 3 years ago.  They were 20 and 24.  Well in the time since, they have both become engaged to their baby partner, and neither one has gotten married, but they are both doing better for themselves.  Well the younger one (who took my maternity photos), told me that she was pregnant again, due in March.  And while I am so happy for them, Im also baffled that they are choosing to not get married becuase they dont have enough money, but they are choosing to have another kid (his 3rd, her second).  I dont think you need to be married to have a kid with someone, but the fact that they arent getting married because of money, and then they go and have another kid is really hard for me to wrap my head around.  
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • @erindippity I'm sure you are doing a great job and that is awesome that you have a friend supporting you! Breastfeeding has always been super painful for me (for the first 6+ weeks with DD1 and the first 2 weeks with DD2). I just weaned DD2 in April, but I'm still fairly certain there will still be an adjustment period where my nipples hate me. I am trying to "prep" myself mentally for it yet I am still mostly terrified. In my last BMB there was tons of commiseration about painful nipples and I think knowing that it definitely can/will go away was helpful and you are not alone!

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• So I def just cursed the lady out behind me and gave her the finger out the window. I was going to make a left hand turn, had a green light not an arrow with tons of incoming traffic. She just kept honking saying you can go. Like lady are you not seeing what I'm seeing. Of course she had her phone down texting and just kept honking. I finally leaned out my window and said "are you effing kidding me there is one Lane where the f would you like me to go?!" She laughed. Best part she held up a line of ten cars just a block down to get onto the highway when she had two lanes. 
  • @erindippity Even if you read up on BFing and/or took classes, I don't think anything prepares you for how hard it can be.  I definitely struggled with BFing the first time around.  It was really painful, DS did damage to me from his latch, he took 45-60 minutes to eat, etc.  I spent quite a few middle of the night feedings crying.  I should've reached out for more help in the beginning once I was home.  I pushed through the issues, had a very supportive DH and eventually things got better. Take things day by day even feeding by feeding.  It's good that you have a friend you can lean on for support.

FWIW, I never fed my kids every 2 hours.  DS1 was in the NICU for a few days due to a fever and dehydration and had lost a lot of weight in the hospital.  Until he got back up to his birth weight, I had to feed him every 3 hours and was allowed up to one 4 hour stretch at night.  Once there were no weight concerns, I could feed on demand.  I fed DS2 on demand from the beginning.  Both kids seemed to develop a pattern pretty quickly of eating every 2.5-3 hours although there were certainly times when they moved away from that pattern.  Since DS1 was such a slow nurser, even with feeding every 3 hours, it felt like I never got much of a break.  It was so much easier when DS2 came along and only nursed for 10 minutes per side from the beginning.  I felt much more free because I wasn't spending a majority of my day feeding him.  Obviously your doctor has reasons for recommending that schedule, but just wanted to share my experience.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @mrsmatt1212 @donehue @MetsGirl18
    thank you,  <3 I just feel so naive in general. I felt fairly educated about a lot of things around babies from my work experience, but it really is so different as the Mom. I feel like I have this deer in a headlight look half the time around things I have talked through plenty of times with FTMs.

and I'm not sure why she wants every 2 hours. She was kinda jaundiced so maybe that was it, but I can't wait to feed on demand or even every 3-4!!!
  • @erindippity, my hospital told me every 2-3, but said it really needs to be every 2.  
  • @erindippity I fed every two hours the first few weeks with my first. It will adjust, I promise! My MIL kept telling me he was nursing too long and too often, but when I saw a LC she said I was just fine! It was actually good I was nursing so often, because we found out (through weighted feeds with the LC) that my left side was not producing nearly as much as my right. It was actually good I fed on demand and didn't worry about a clock. Or follow the outdated information my MIL tried giving me... 
  • AdvoCyndi30AdvoCyndi30 member
    edited August 2017
    @erindippity I would STRONGLY suggest a nipple shield. It helps a lot with the "rawness". Also, ask the pediatrician to check and see if baby is tongue tied. Both of mine were and I cracked and bled so much. I wish I had known then...it's only obvious when I look back at pictures. My DD had the cutest little heart shaped tongue...which I know now is a sign!

BF isn't super comfortable at first, but it shouldn't be extremely painful, either. 

ETA: I was also told they had great latches. I guess it looked okay, but it truly wasn't. HUGE laceration across my nipple with DD. I know the toe-curling pain you are talking about and I will do whatever I can to avoid it this time.  
  • @erindippity- breastfeeding is hard, especially at first so don't beat yourself up!  Itll feel like you are feeding them all the time, especially in the beginning, but remember you can't overfeed a baby who nurses. My DD was a slow eater so I would sometimes only get about a half hour break between feedings, it was crazy. And when she was 4-6 weeks old she started cluster feeding in the evenings because she was just that hungry. It meant longer sleep time though!
    Like PP said, definitely get your little one checked for a tie if you are having that much pain! Be careful of mastitis too! 
  • @erindippity The initial latch can definitely be toe curling pain, but it shouldn't really be painful after the first minute or so unless the latch isn't deep enough or there has been a lot of damage to your nipples.  With DS1, if it was still painful, I'd have to use my fingers to unlatch him and try again.  Sometimes we'd have to do this several times until he latched correctly.  My kids didn't have any tongue tie issues, but I had friends whose DC had tongue, lip and/or cheek ties and they found that the LCs were more knowledgeable about diagnosing them than the pediatricians.  

If there are any weight concerns or issues about transferring milk properly/efficiently, you can always ask for a weight check where they weigh DC before and after a feeding to see how much milk they're getting. 

I hope things start getting easier for you soon.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers