Working Moms
Options

New here? Please read - Any working moms that work from home?

edited June 2014 in Working Moms
(I posted about this in the Los Angeles section but thought I'd try here as well)

I'm a stay at home mom that needs a job!
We don't know anyone available to watch our son during the day, so I'm trying to find a position that allows me to work at home.

I'd love any suggestions! Thank you!

Re: New here? Please read - Any working moms that work from home?

• Options
    Ditto PP's - I WFH 2 days a week, and we have a full-time nanny on those days.  I could not do my job while watching my kids, and I would not hire anyone to WFH that didn't have a childcare arrangement.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would look into babysitting another child or two.  I've met a few women who only watch teacher's children, that way they're done early and have a break over the summer.
  • Options
    emmyg65 said:
    Stay away from multi-level marketing schemes like Mary Kay, etc.: https://harpers.org/blog/2012/07/how-mary-kay-sells-women-on-having-it-all/ Tl;dr: "Mary Kay’s business model (like that of any multilevel-marketing enterprise) is designed primarily to profit from, rather than enrich, its workforce."
    Definitely! A friend was trying to turn me on to Nerium International which to me sounds like a total Ponzi scheme.

• Options
    A year or two ago, I had an employer that paid me to do a lot of data entry. He was in marketing and had a lot of leads he needed organized and properly filled out so I was track my hours and fill out all that info for him. I know it's a stretch, but super easy temporary gigs like that DO exist. I didn't need to talk to anyone on the phone and could stop anytime I wanted if I needed to get something else done. 

Obviously a 9-5 job at home is not ideal while I'm taking care of my 6 month old. Especially one that would require me to be on the phone. Just thought I'd reach out and see if there were any other ideas.

I may consider the daycare idea. Not a full on business, but I do have a friend that lives less than 5 mins away from me that's due in 2 months and still doesn't know what to do about daycare when she's back at work from maternity leave. 

• Options
    I agree a full-time WFH cateer isnt possible, but there are temp WFH gigs like you mentioned. Ask around your social circle! My DH used to work in college admissions and in the fall and winter (application season) and they hired and trained extra help to read applications at home.
    baby girl  5.12
  • Options
    I agree a full-time WFH cateer isnt possible, but there are temp WFH gigs like you mentioned. Ask around your social circle! My DH used to work in college admissions and in the fall and winter (application season) and they hired and trained extra help to read applications at home.
    That's simply not correct.  Many of us work at home full time, or in my case 92% of the time (I travel to one of our offices quarterly), in careers in which we are advancing.  The difference is that we have childcare to watch our children while we are working.
    image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Huahine said:

That's simply not correct.  Many of us work at home full time, or in my case 92% of the time (I travel to one of our offices quarterly), in careers in which we are advancing.  The difference is that we have childcare to watch our children while we are working.
    Whoops, that's actually what I meant to say... a FT WFH career isn't possible without childcare, but that some part-time WFH gigs like I mentioned might be.
    baby girl  5.12
  • Options
    My husband WFH most of the time and goes to the office for meetings 2 times a week as a web developer. I am studing now to change careers to do the same. Both our kids are in daycare FT but the oldest will start public school this year and it'd be nice to be able to go to meet the teacher nights and pick him up after school etc. I've seen how nice it is to have a flex schedule like DH. It's been a life saver when one or both is sick or there is a snow day etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So happy to see th responses here. I wfh full time and DS goes to daycare. I work 60-70 hours per week for one of the top tech companies in the world. There is no way I could ever have a child home with me and work. DS had a nanny until he was 1 and then went to daycare. I do have extra flexibility when it comes to needing to pick him up if he's sick, etc, but I always still tell my boss if I need to be offline.

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    PCEmommyPCEmommy member
    edited July 2014
    I am a manufacturers rep for a 1.2 billion dollar company. You can work from home and earn a corporate income. I would love to share it with you. Please email me at EDITED FOR SPAM and we can set up an informational meeting online. Could be a perfect fit for you to stay at home and earn an income!
  • Options
    @pcemommy you've got a PM
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I came over from England as an AuPair a number of years ago. I just recently took the job of Area Director for an AuPair agency. It is a work from home position with some appointments and meetings throughout the month. Depending on how big/how big you grow your area depends on how busy you are :) there are certain areas that have positions available if you want to let me know what area you are in and I would be happy to check for you..? I LOVE my job and it's fits in with my shcedule and children beinga stay at home mom! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @Maryland Baby‌ sent you a P M
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Hi ladies,

I just quit my full time job to be a work at home Mommy. I am so excited to stay home with my daughter and get that time alone with her before baby no 2 comes.

Chat soon,
    Xo

Chantal
  • Options
    Sorry marla - modded my post. Didn't think before I posted that. So if you mod yours there will be no more spam/links/mention of what I do.
  • Options
    Not a mod. @HilarityEnsued‌ was very recently asking about Jamberry. She will be most excited.
  • Options
    If you love fitness and helping others you should totally become a team beachbody coach! I absolutely love it! I can give you more details if you would like!

I get paid to stay healthy! How awesome is that?
  • Options
    Oh man, I work from home (my team runs an electronic records application for a large accounting firm - not that anyone knows or cares what that means!) still on maternity leave with my first and I really don't think Ill be able to do without full time child care. Hoping to hire a nanny to come to the house for the first year so I can breastfeed somewhat but we'll see. Some days I just don't have any down time and I can't really breastfeed while on a conference call.
  • Options
    blasiangurlblasiangurl member
    edited October 2014
    SPAM. deleted by MOD
  • Options

Like others who have posted ahead of me... I worked for my company for more than 3 years when my husband relocated for work. My company was super supportive of keeping me on and letting me work remotely. (I work for an international bank and while we have an office where I am now located, it's a different division. It does give me an option, though, if I run into laptop issues.)

That said, I do have daycare for my youngest (1.5). My older two are now school age (7 and 4) and I have the flexibility to pick them up at 3:15, M-Th, and 2:15 on Fridays when school lets out. They're old enough to understand that I work and can entertain themselves when I'm on conference calls, etc. This past summer, I kept them home with me and did have some challenges - they got bored frequently and they would interrupt me for silly things. So, next summer they will attend a summer day camp at least once a week to break up the summer. But between the pool, their Legos, neighbor kids, it works out well enough.

FWIW, I am a proposal writer, so it is a deadline-oriented job. I think it's "easy enough" to have an infant home with you 1-2x a week when you're working, since they sleep so much, but once they're mobile, forget it.

And really, it's about the child's best interest, too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Wow, this thread is nuts. Avon,etc, are not jobs! these are home businesses and you to work at them to make any kind of money. You can work from home with kids. If they are older then they can understand to be quiet while you work. If they are younger, then get a job to do online only. Join sites like fiverr,odesk, these are free, choose what job want apply for it. Lots of data entry, transcription on these sites. Its low money but its money! No babysitter, no gas, no new clothes needed.
    I work from home, homeschool 4 kids(the youngest is 2) my job is strictly online support.
    Don't think you can't work cause you have at hone, that's just wrong!
    PS: No messages about my job,I'm not allowed to share info
  • Options
    sallyspeakssallyspeaks member
    edited November 2014
    I have a work from home arrangement with my employer .There are few affiliate programs online where you don't have to invest anything but just promote certain products and if anybody whom you refer buys the product you'll earn commissions This looks legit ..came across this when I recently purchased air purfiers from the same website.&nbsp Edited by mod
  • Options
    I'm so glad we have this on top of the board to catch all the spammers. It's like a moat around all the actual posts!
  • Options
    Hi All, I'm new here. This post was the first one I saw. As I read the replies to the question, it appears we all have varying opinions. In the end, I think in order to find a job that allows you the flexibility to work at home with your children, there must be questions that need answered.

Although independent business franchise models like Mary Kay are a great option. These are in no way the easy route. They are small businesses that largely depend on your knowledge and execution to market your products. Most people don't inherently possess this knowledge and it could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few years to figure it all out.

Besides, you wrote you were searching for a job, which is more like an exchange for your time. Which is why I replied. My little sister, has a position where she works remotely from home. Each day, she allocates a certain amount of time to complete the tasks. She knows what she'll make according to how many hours she has worked.

Which is alot different than running your own home franchise like Mary Kay...where your income is in direct correlation to your skills to sell product.

My sister originally found the position on Craigslist. Since then, she has received a promotion and they have offered to pay her relocation and apartment to a new city.

If this sounds like something you were thinking of, then send me a message and I'll
    ask her for the information.
  • Options
    I work from home but my child still goes to daycare I work for a bank customer service and I am required to have a quiet background, work at home makes it easier no commute and daycare is across from my neighbo
  • Options
    jess58301jess58301 member
    edited March 2016
    **Removed for TOU Violation**

• Options
    I've seen good results from working at home, just find some good guides that show you how to do it. gesurveys.net/survey
  • Options
    khelsteinkhelstein member
    edited September 2015
    **Removed for TOU Violation**

• Options
    FYI, i have the option to work from home. Tried it with each one of my kids, had to send them to daycare, or be fired were pretty much my options. You cannot work an 8 hour day with a child at home. You can't work 30 minutes straight with a child at home
  • Options
    I work from home sometimes but I was an attorney at a firm for 8 years then started my own solo law practice.  I'm busy as hell and do have an office I can go to meet clients.  But I do a lot of my work from home.  But that's cuz I'm my own boss and I run my own firm.  Other than running your own business I don't believe there are many legit work from home jobs.  Also, I work like DOUBLE the hours now than I did working at a firm 9-5.  I do a lot of work at night and weekends but the worst is having to do legal work and prepare motions with kids running around.  I send them off to a babysitter when I need to too.
  • Options
    I work from home as a freelance writer (travel writing, magazine writing, ghost writing blogs, etc), social media consultant and sometimes writing mentor. 

I work around my kids schedules - who are 13-months and 4 1/2 years old (presently). It's tough. I get maybe 2 hours of work done - max - a day. Then do the rest at night and weekends. You can't do it all. My house is always disheveled, never caught up on laundry, scramble to get dinner done. I enjoy being home, but it's a trade off for sure. Some days I'm envious of Moms who get to work in an office and get paid whether their tired, off their game or spacing out. I only get paid when I turn in a project  :-) 

It's important to have a support system even if it's just emotional support. My husband works from home most days and will throw laundry in, help out on a really hard day and just be a good sounding board. I supplement my income with some creative work like video editing and virtual assistant work, finding discounts, odd jobs and anything else I can find.
    Get $2,000 More in Your Budget Every Month with a Creative Earning & Savings System :-)  MothersWhoLaunch.com
  • Options
    oajone004oajone004 member
    edited July 2016
    Removed for TOU-Violation
  • Options
    What's the email
  • Options
    VOR said:
    Oh boy. Your best bet is to look for something like Pampered Chef, MaryKay, etc. If you're looking for a typical "9to 5" job, I can guarentee you that NO ONE is going to hire you if your child is going to be home with you.
    While I do completely agree that employers don't want to hire someone whose child is at home with them, there are some jobs that do allow flexible schedules.

I work full time from home, for an employer (not any type of MLM), and my child is at home with me. The catch is, I had the job before I got pregnant. 

Now, I wake up at 4 am and work until my daughter wakes up, work during her 2-hour nap, and then finish up work when my husband gets home from work to help me with the baby.

If you can find a job that just consists of daily tasks that need to be completed on a flexible schedule, you might be able to find something that fits your needs, but you really have to prove your disciplined. 
  • Options
    Really old thread, but it's pinned, so whatever.

I recently started working from home part time teaching English to kids in China. I never thought I would find a good work at home opportunity that worked for me as a teacher, but this has been a great fit. You have to have a bachelor's degree and some teaching experience (but it doesn't have to be certified experience, pre-school, daycare, Sunday school, etc also counts). I don't think it would work for most people as a full time option because of the hours (unless you can survive on no sleep!) But it's great for some extra money part time.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers