February 2018 Moms
Options

Julia versus Giulia

ginapdxginapdx member
edited July 2017 in February 2018 Moms
Hello!

My wife and I have agreed on a baby girl's name, but we disagree strongly on the spelling. 

Our child will be Italian American and have my Italian surname, and therefore, I prefer Giulia. Also, my wife and I both have names that start with G, so I think it would be neat if our daughter's name started with G too. 

My wife is strongly opposed to Giulia but is 100% on board with Julia. She argues that people will not be able to pronounce Giulia, and my surname is difficult enough as it is. She also feels that Giulia is too unconventional for an American child (albeit one who is of Italian descent, who will attend Italian language school, and who will hopefully spend a great deal of time in Italy). 

What do you all think?

Re: Julia versus Giulia

• Options
    Um. Baby names post. 
  • Options
    Also introductions post. Read this first post. Or you could scoot on over to the baby name board.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly I agree in that it would be very hard to pronounce. Can you compromise by agreeing on a name that is easy to pronounce in both languages? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Um. Thanks for your incredibly gracious reply, @smorzandoj. I'll repost in the appropriate forum.
  • Options
    As a teacher, I'd have no problem pronouncing Giulia. 

• Options
    I prefer Giulia.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    I prefer Julia. I think it would be very annoying to have to continually correct people and spell it correctly for them. I do like the thought of sticking with her Italian heritage though. 
  • Options
    NKF312NKF312 member
    I love Giulia
  • Options
    There isn't also an entire board dedicated to baby names if you find that more to your liking. 
  • Options
    I like Julia simply because I wouldn't want my daughter to have to correct people on name spelling all the time.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    I would probably say Goo-Leah even thought I know it's Julia. Plus I'm sure it will be spelled wrong all the time as Giulia. 
  • Options
    I vote Julia.  I have 2 children with unusual names and people destroy their names constantly,  even though you can just sound them out. In retrospect i would have given them easier names. Giulia will have that same problem,  i would pronounce it Gee-ooh-lee-ah ? If i read it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    As someone with a name that has stumped people my whole life, in both spelling and pronunciation (it's Chelsea...not hard, you'd think!!) go with Julia. People in general, unfortunately, just don't understand the difficult spelling and will butcher it her whole life.
  • Options
    ashhsaashhsa member
    Hi! I'm going to say that you should go with Giulia. I am Nigerian American and I fully intend on giving my child an Igbo (my tribe) name that Americans may find "hard to pronounce." Celebrate your culture and go with your gut instinct. There will be people who are smart enough to say Giulia, and considerate enough to ask politely how to say it if they don't kniw. If you were living in Italy i bet you would not be having this conversation with your wife. Culture is too important - don't choose the way you spell your child's name based on what [some] Americans can and cannot say. If an American can say Schwarzenegger or Tchaikovsky, they can say GIULIA!!!! ❤❤❤❤
    True, it only takes being corrected once to remember how to pronounce it, it's not hard to say, I had a client who's name was spelt that way and I just said "how do I pronounce your name" because I had no clue, it's not that hard. once you know you know. 
  • Options
    We my husband and I were deciding on names and spellings if one person was strongly opposed then it was dropped. It has to be a compromise  since it is their child too. If one parent is adamantly opposed that should be respected, and move on to a different name or spelling.