Pregnant after 35

42 and pregnant with third after 12 years

I just found out that I'm pregnant with my third child! I am very excited, but also very nervous about it.  This little one is a total surprise! I had my other two children when I was 28 and 30.  I know pregnancy is different for everyone, but would like to hear some experiences from other people who are pregnant or had children in their 40's.  What can I expect as far as doctor's visits, tests, etc.  Thanks!

Re: 42 and pregnant with third after 12 years

• I am completely in the same boat!  I am 40 and my DD is 12.  I had my first appt on 6-21 and it involved a complete workup (abdominal u/s, bloodwork, urine analysis, and pelvic/pap).  I have been very nervous as well, but then I consider several of my friends who are older than we are and having children for the first time.  So, I feel that the whole advanced maternal age is possibly a dated concept.  I realize that there are possibly increased risks but I feel that how you are physically and emotionally coming into the pregnancy has so much to do with success.  I'm still feeling cautious but so far everything is looking good.  My beta (never had those tested previously) HCG's were good and that made me feel a bit better.  So, I completely understand and you are not alone at all!  Here's to a healthy pregnancy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you for replying! This message board is new to me, what is DD?  I see alot of initials for things and don't know what some of them mean...been able to figure some out Smile.  Congratulations to you and I pray you have a wonderful pregnancy and birth!
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations! Probably the biggest difference is that, as you probably know, over 35 you are at elevated risk for chromosomal abnormalities. Thus you will be offered a range of screening and diagnostic tests. You can learn more by learning about NT scans, quad screening, CVS test, and the amnio. And ask your doctor about them. You can have the early ones (NT scan, CVS) around 11-14 weeks, so it's good to think now about what you do/don't want to do. And if you're not taking a prenatal vitamin, start doing so right away -- and you might think about adding some extra folic acid (I take 1000 mg extra per day).

me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 
  • oh and DD = dear daughter  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Welcome! I am also expecting a surprise baby, which is also my third. My two other kids are 9 and 6, and although I was over 30 when I had them, I was under 35, so this is my first experience being of "Advanced Maternal Age". I go to a birth center where the care is given by certified nurse midwives, and they do not really care about the age thing. You might choose to do more tests and screenings, but on the other hand, you might opt not to. I personally am choosing not to do any additional tests. I'm just going to get a 20-week u/s, and will be tested for gestational diabetes later on (I think at 32 weeks?), the same as I did with my other two.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • angibrangibr member

I don't have much to add except WELCOME!

I am also 42 years old and my DD just turned 18 and graduated from high school! I raised her as a single mom and married my much younger husband just this past Sept. We knew we wanted to have children or at least one child together. We went off BC in Dec and got pregnant right away, however that pregnancy ended in a m/c at 6 weeks. We were devastated and I was so afraid I might not be able to have any more children. We waited one cycle and tried again and were so thankful to get pregnant again right away! I would say I feel more tired than I remember being with my DD this time....but...that was also so long ago it's hard to remember! Now that I am thinking how great it's going to be to have this baby in our lives I wish I was only 40 so I had a little more time to have another one too!

image image BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm pregnant with my third also.  My boys are now 15 and 12, so I'm also a little nervous.  I'm 38 now and due 5 days before my 39th birthday.  I'm also interested in what to expect.
    Jules
  • Im there with you too! I have a son who is almost 19 (had him when I was 17) and an 11 year old daughter. So excited to start again tho at 37!!! Babies keep you young!
  • THAT is exciting. I am 41 yr old and it's my first pregnancy but I have 4 step children that are 26, 25 ,23, & 21 so I thought I had to reach out. Good for you. Hope your kids are excited. I even have a step grandaughter that is 3 yrs old. They have all been great to me. good luck!

• Hello! I found out in May that I am pregnant. I have not done this in 10 years so I am starting all over again. So far, doctor's appointments have been one test after another. The numbers for the Nuchal Ultrascan came back high risk and I have decided to have amnio (appointment today).

Good luck to you- Hope all goes well!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"