TTC After a Loss

Intro after 2nd miscarriage

tosh24tosh24 member
edited July 2017 in TTC After a Loss
Hi Ladies! I contemplated intro-ing after my first miscarriage but couldn't bear to go anywhere near TB for about 5 months after, so I'm jumping in now. This might be a little long :)

I have a 10 yo DD and have been dealing with secondary infertility for about 7 years now. I worked with an RE and was thankfully able to conceive my 5 yo DS (on a break cycle, no less...). DH and I were immediately open to NTNP for a 3rd and started that when my DS was 6 months old. We weren't too thrilled with the idea of going back to the RE since it was a pretty stressful time in our life, so we just figured if it happened, it happened. Four and a half years later, we were totally surprised with a BFP. Because the universe can be cruel, it turns out that at the time I got my BFP, I was also fighting parvovirus that I caught from my son, and had been on a heavy regimen of ibuprofen for about 2 weeks prior to my BFP due to severe joint pain and swelling. I immediately had issues with bleeding and had multiple SCHs. I'm assuming this was due to the parvo and ibuprofen, although my doctors never came outright and confirmed. At 8 weeks everything seemed to be going well - baby's heartbeat was good, growth was good, bleeding stopped, and my pregnancy symptoms were off the charts and I was completely miserable. At 8w6d I had a fantastic u/s and saw baby wiggling around moving its arms and legs. We were so overjoyed and finally let ourselves get happy after being in limbo since the BFP. Two days later, at 9w1d, I was giving a presentation at work and just hemorrhaged. Thank goodness I was wearing black pants - everything was soaked down to my feet. I drove myself to the ER (super close to work) and it was confirmed that I had developed a massive SCH right where the placenta attached to the uterus and the baby was not able to survive it. I had a D&C the next day (November 16th). We were completely devastated. Truthfully, I still am.

We decided to go back to the RE at this point since it was obvious that we really wanted a 3rd child. I did 3 cycles using femara and b2b IUIs and got pregnant on my 3rd IUI. My beta never showed a positive until 18dpo and was only 11, so that was a red flag right there. But, my numbers kept tripling/almost tripling for the next week and a half so my doctor put me back on progesterone supps and we booked an u/s for 2 weeks later. I was slowly getting more and more pregnancy symptoms, although they weren't as strong as with my previous 3 pregnancies. The day of my ultrasound (July 13th), I should have been about 7 weeks but there was only a funky looking sac and some fluid in my uterus. I stopped the progesterone and subsequently miscarried. The process was like a fairly normal period for me and as of Monday this week my hcg was 10 so it's falling normally.

I have had an IVF consult but while I'm waiting to sort some stuff out with insurance, we will probably try another 1 or 2 IUIs, this time with injectables. I met with a new RE to get a second opinion and she said that she would proceed with some more IUIs as well since, although not completely successful, IUI did get me pregnant. She also agreed with our diagnosis which has been for the most part unexplained, but it's likely that I have poor egg quality (and DH's morphology #'s are a little low).      

So, that's where I am now. Only one sister and my dad know about my first miscarriage, nobody knows about the second, and nobody also knows about the fertility treatments. I'm fairly private and just don't want people to be all up in my business during such an emotional time. I'm dealing with the second miscarriage OK but it has resurfaced a lot of feelings surrounding my first miscarriage, especially since I'm supposed to have a 6 week old right now. I still miss my baby. 

It seems like you ladies have a wonderful community and support system and I'm looking forward to being a part of it, if you'll have me :)
Me: 35 I DH: 38
*TW loss and children mentioned*
DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

Re: Intro after 2nd miscarriage

• oh I'm so sorry for your losses!  How long had you TTC when they diagnosed you with secondary infertility?  Welcome to the group.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @tosh24 I'm so sorry for your losses.  Welcome to group.  This is a great support.  
  • Loading the player...
  • @tosh24 Welcome to the group and thank you for sharing your story with us...you've been through the ringer and I hope that you find some comfort in joining this great group of women!
  • tosh24tosh24 member
    Thank you, ladies!

@vlagrl29 I think it was around 18 months or so. Took us about 2 years to conceive DS. When we first went to the RE after 12 months of no BFP, she did the initial work up which all came out fine and told us to just try for a few more months on our own. When I still wasn't pregnant, we went back and started treatment (Clomid + TI). I had been charting and temping for that whole 18 months or so before treatment.

TFAS since 2012

Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!

• @tosh24 Welcome! So sorry to hear about your losses. 
  • @tosh24 - I just have a hard time with the word infertility and I don't know why.  Like I don't believe I am since I have a 6 year old, got pregnant after 6 months TTC  #2 then lost it.  Currently on 6th month TTC post loss.
  • @tosh24 so sorry for your losses 
  • Welcome to the group @tosh24 and my heart goes out to you. 
  • tosh24tosh24 member
    @vlagrl29 I'm not sure of the exact criteria, but judging by what you've said, I don't know that the SIF label would fit for you. I think if you kept getting pregnant easily and had repeated losses after having a healthy baby that would be one way to define your situation as SIF, or if you have been TTC more than 12 months after your loss without getting pregnant, that would also "qualify". I don't think you need to be concerned yet, but if after TTC for 12 months with no BFP, I'd then see an RE (sooner if you're over 35). Hopefully it's all a moot point and you don't even have to worry about it :)

TFAS since 2012

• yeah I hear ya and agree with you @tosh24 - I am 37.  We won't consider RE because we don't have the coverage or money for it.