August 2017 Moms
Options

Hospital Snacks

2»

Re: Hospital Snacks

• Options
    On our tour this week we found out that we get two $5 vouchers to the cafe and one meal a day when at the hospital. The maternity ward also has a panty where they alluded to having snacks during the day. The hospital is within 5-10 minutes of a ton of take-out food options so we plan on mostly grubbing on take out or my MIL's amazing cooking (she's only 5 minutes away and is a killer cook) when we're there. It's only two or three nights and we plan on my H heading home at times.

I plan to pack

For labor:
    Red Bull/ Iced Coffee (husband) Coconut water, Gatorade (worried about a blood sugar spike, but I'm also concerned about loosing electrolytes...) RRL tea
    Cut up watermelon, greek yogurt, honey sticks, string cheese, peanut butter single serve packets

For general stay:
    Bolthouse Farms drinks
    Oatmeal bowls
    Beef jerky, Goldfish, Cookies, Protein bars

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    @Mango517 I think a lot of people have mentioned Gatorade. My childbirth instructor who is a doula at my hospital suggested Smart Water for electrolytes instead to avoid the sugar and the sodium content and still get electrolytes so I bought a 6 pack to have on hand. I love Gatorade but she actually mentioned they wouldn't allow it but it doesn't sound like that's common. Just a thought if you're worried about sugar.

Love the idea of iced coffee for DH. We usually make our own but they sell a ton of packaged cold brews so I'll run that by him.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have every intention of bringing or procuring champagne ("sparkling wine" excuse me). Those Sofia mini bottles/cans aren't half bad ;-) 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love all the fridge/cold snack options everyone has, but I have heard and seen nothing indicating we can keep cold snacks anywhere so we are keeping those away. 

Trail mix, granola bars, popcorn-boom chikka, jerky-for DH, pretzels, I have some powerade in the fridge at home. I would love to bring cold stuff, but the idea of bringing a cooler just seems a little too much. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    tova24tova24 member
    We have this thing called the celebration dinner. The night before you leave, you get a steak dinner. Other than that, ice chips during labor  :/
  • Options
    tova24 said:
    We have this thing called the celebration dinner. The night before you leave, you get a steak dinner. Other than that, ice chips during labor  :/
    I delivered at a different hospital with DS1 than I have with any other LO. While that first hospital experience as a whole was sub-par to our new facility, they did provide a gift certificate for the new parents to a nice local steakhouse (that's now closed). It was a nice bonus! 
  • Options
    Unless things have changed in 5 years, my hospital doesn't give you anything besides broth after a c-section until they make sure your digestive system is working properly (fart for food).  Once you can eat, someone comes by with the menus for the rest of your hospital stay and you order all of your meals then.  The food isn't too bad and I've never brought additional snacks with me.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers