January 2018 Moms
Options

Questions for STMs 7/12

Re: Questions for STMs 7/12

• Options
    We had the JJ Cole Agility Stretch carrier for DD, and I FREAKING LOVED IT. I've since become a gym rat, so I need to get a different size for this baby, but will use the JJ Cole until baby is a big bigger and I feel more comfy using the woven wrap I have or the Ergo. 

• Options
    @libbberty

> We used a dresser for a changing table and it worked really well, saved us from one more piece of furniture. I was able to store wipes and a small basket with diapers, butt paste, etc in it on top of the dresser as well. My son was able to be potty trained soon after his 2nd bday (trying not to have too high of expectations for this time, lol) and now I can just use the dresser for its intended purpose. 

> The pnp ?: hmm, we used ours a ton but we travel locally a lot. I never used at home but would take to MILs or a friends if we'd be there over a nap time. They are relatively inexpensive and you wouldn't need one until baby rolls over, so you could wait to see if you need one later on. ((Oops, I lied. We did use it at home, see next ?))

> A rocker is always nice, however, I didn't use mine as much as I thought I would. DS slept in our room (in RNP at first and then PNP) until he stopped nursing in the night (13ish months?) I'd just lean over, pick him up and nurse him while I was sitting up in bed. 

> You definitely don't need a bathtub as mentioned above. When they are little, use your kitchen sink and bathtub when they are older. Just place a towel under them. Also, I never got onto the boppy pillow but I know a lot of moms really like theirs. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @libbberty:

We got a dresser/changing table combo from a family friend. I love it! When we're done with the changing pad, there'll be plenty of room to put stuff on top.

We used a p&p while she was in our room for 6 months. 

I love my glider! It was great for MOTN nursing. Now, DD loves to read in it so it's still handy.

Most useless thing we got was a baby food grinder. We did mostly BLW and didn't do too many purees.
  • Options
    @schaze I didn't buy a puree or grinder because we did BLW. He's such a great eater too... other than meat. He's hit or miss but I think that's just because he's a cranky toddler at times.

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @supercoolstephy DD wasn't into BLW at.all at first, but then we tried giving her ground hamburger and omg. She's been a meat girl ever since  :D
  • Options
    @libbberty We went the dresser with the changing pad route. I knew years before I ever had kids that this would be the route for me. It's so much more practical in my opinion. We bought a nice $300 dresser that was great quality that would last years. It made sense in our minds to save money and skip the changing table. I mean we would have wanted a dresser either way in a year or two, so we just got it sooner and used the spare drawers for storage. (Like for spare burp cloths, receiving blankets, diapers, wipes, creams, ect). I also felt like it looked a lot cleaner being able to have all DS baby gear tucked away in drawers rather than out in the open on changing table shelves. I plan on doing this again with baby #2. 

The thing that I got that I hated and refused to use was my diaper genie. I researched it a lot before creating my registry and decided I didn't want it. Then I received it as a gift anyway and just hated it. You have to buy special bags that go in it and when you have a dirty diaper you have to push it through a small opening and your hand/arm rub all over the plastic that the other dirty diapers have all rubbed against and it just grossed me out. We switched to just a normal, mini garbage can with a lid and I'm so happy I did. We emptied it if he had a particularly stinky poop, or before bed time, and I know a lot of people would claim it's such a hassle to do it that way but it really hasn't been. The lid keeps the stink contained for the most part and you don't have to shove your hand through a nasty hole to get rid of the diaper. Also, from my experience, diaper genies don't even completely contain the smell anyways. Such a waste of money, and your constantly having to buy more bags for it. I say skip it. 
  • Options
    @steph30032 I loved our diaper genie. It was a total luxury that was unnecessary but when I lived in an apartment it was such a pain to drive to the trash compactor to drop off stinky diapers that it was soo worth the price. When we moved into our house I started taking stinky diapers out to the trash right away.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our changing table is a dresser actually with a piece on top to frame the changing pad. It comes off and can be a regular dresser. So do I have a changing table or a dresser with a changing pad LOL?
  • Options
    Holy cow, you ladies are amazing! Thank you so much. Definitely getting a PNP based on advice and skipping bathtub for sure. 

Had no clue about RNP and babies' flat heads. I'm not sure I entirely understand it, but very good to know. 
  • Options
    @libbberty Personally, I don't think DS had a flat head after using his RNP.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I personally loved the baby bath tub! It might just be baby personality but DS loved it and it made me feel safer with not worrying about a slippery baby in a sink or tub. It was especially helpful for me because DS was an early roller and a late sitter upper. 

I agree with the diaper genie. I ended up just throwing diapers away in a regular garbage can. Especially during the newborn days. There are so many diapers and I didn't think the breastfed baby poop smelled bad.

We have a changing pad on top of a dresser. We just didn't want that extra piece of furniture taking up space.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @libbberty

We did the changing pad on a dresser route for both girls. We've never had a changing table in the house- seems like a waste of materials.
    We never affixed it to the dresser; when they got bigger and mobile we started using the floor or our bed. Having the changing pad screwed onto the dresser isn't going to stop a kid from trying to flip off of the dresser.

We have an Arms Reach Co Sleeper. That's all I have experience with and can't speak to the new products. 

We only used the PnP for traveling purposes or if friends were visiting. That said, we have an antique bassinet we set up in the living room; you're going to need some sort of baby parking station in your main living area. 

We have an upholstered chair/ottoman type glider (rather than the wood one) and while it was a big spend we've never once regretted it. It's currently in our bedroom and still get used regularly. (snuggles, book reading, etc.) 

We received a baby food maker as a shower gift. We used it to steam stuff, only because we had it, otherwise it just took up cabinet space. Both of our girls went the BLW route. We'll be doing the same this time.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I actually loved our infant bath too @maueraa07. Our kitchen sink is way too small and our tub is so slippery so I felt much more comfortable having something to keep her in.

I never did the diaper genie, we just stick poopy diapers out on our porch and take them all out at once. I'm sure it reeks out there, but we never use it since we're in an apartment and the "deck" is really just some concrete with a railing around it.
  • Options
    I've never lived anywhere where my kitchen sink was big enough for a baby, I wish I did. Some how I managed to get 3 different baby baths for my baby shower though. Two of the normal ones, and then this infant bath support (pictured below). I know a lot of infant baths have different supports built in or come with removable ones; the two baths I had did. But I hated both the baths I had. My baby would slowly slide down it and it would scare me. This other bath support that I got was amazing. It's sold at babies-r-us, target, amazon, and probably many other places. But you just fill up the bath tub to the desired amount and can set the baby in the support with out him slipping or sliding. I plan on using this support with baby number two, and just setting it in the tub with DS1 (almost 2yrs old) so I can bathe both babies at once. I was able to use this until my baby was able to start sitting up on his own and at that point we switched to an infant bath chair which we used until close to 15 months (also pictured below).   
  • Options
    Any of you ladies have any personal experience or know someone who used/uses and au pair? What did you like and didn't you like? We are toying with the idea. DH is concerned it would be weird to have a stranger live with us but I think I would love that kind of help and the pros would totally outweigh the cons. Price wise, it winds up being about 3k cheaper a year vs daycare. 
  • Options
    @steph30032 We had that same bath- I absolutely loved it!
  • Options
    @schaze @steph30032 yes we have that seat too, and it's the best!
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    @CANTW82BMOM my friend is a nanny and she's worked for families that basically become a second family to her. The trick is finding someone who gels well with your family and parenting style. She's basically a third parent in her houses and communication between them and you is key so that everything stays consistent. On top of taking care of the kids she did light housework like laundry and dishes, making dinner. Feel free to message me with any other questions you have!
  • Options
    My friend is giving me a mamaroo but she doesn't have the infant insert. Should I buy it, or is it ok to use it without it from birth? She said she didn't need it but I wanted more opinions. Thanks!
    DD1: 2/28/12
    DD2: 9/12/13
    Baby #3: Due January 2018

• Options
    @PhillymommaX2 we had one because we bought it used and they had one. We did find it useful and used it for a couple months.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think the thing about flat heads is if baby spends a ton of time in the RNP, it can happen. There was a lady in my local new moms class who had triplets, and one of them ended up needing a helmet and she straight up said "he was the quiet one of the three so he didn't get taken out of the seat as much." I don't think there's anything inherently problematic about them. Torticollis and flat head can happen just from always being laid down the same way in a crib (the wall is boring so they always look the same direction).

@libbberty
    We have a nonskid changing pad on an Ikea dresser. DS is almost three and I still haul him up there for changes sometimes. I need to stop though, he's too active now.
    We didn't cosleep, couldn't even fit the RNP in our bedroom, so I'm no help on that one.
    The PNP was great anytime we visited somewhere and knew we'd be there late. If you don't have a car it would be a hassle but you might decide it's still worth it especially once LO outgrows the RNP.
    Most useless thing was probably the Bumbo seat. By the time DS was big enough to actually sit in it, his legs were too chunky to fit in. We got some use out of it but mostly we let him be free range in the kidproofed & gated playroom.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    Any of you ladies have any personal experience or know someone who used/uses and au pair? What did you like and didn't you like? We are toying with the idea. DH is concerned it would be weird to have a stranger live with us but I think I would love that kind of help and the pros would totally outweigh the cons. Price wise, it winds up being about 3k cheaper a year vs daycare. 
    Our neighbors have had au pairs for years and love it.  We looked into it ourselves and the biggest con in my eyes is the fact that many of them are not actually certified to work with infants.  Additionally there are a lot of rules surrounding their specific type of Visa, such as going to school and number of hours per week.  Another caveat would be the whole driving thing.  I think it will be a topic we revisit as our children get older.  We have toyed with the idea of a nanny, but seems to definitely be the most expensive option.
  • Options
    @PhillymommaX2 We never used the infant insert with our mamaroo. DS was a pretty big infant 8lbs 7oz so I just didn't think he needed it. 
  • Options
    For those who already have 2, how did you handle strollers? Did you get a double, a sit n stand, a skateboard attachment, just make the big one walk? These days with an almost 3 year old we have a little Cosco cheapy umbrella stroller that we only use for like festivals or long walks where he'll get too tired out. At this point I imagine we might still want to have some riding option for him next spring/summer.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @bainidhedub I'm currently pregnant with number 2, but my plan is to buy either a Graco Ready2Grow Stoller or Baby Trend Sit and Stand. They are the only two (affordable) ones that I've found that offer the option for 2 kids to ride but convert to sit and stand where one is sitting and the older standing. Most that I've found don't convert like that. Plus they also have soooo many different sitting options. I'm planning on test driving both at buy buy baby closer to when I'm looking to buy (which will probably be around Black Friday. Lol
  • Options
    @bainidhedub I think it really depends on how much you walk/what you use strollers for. I usually end up baby wearing exclusively for the first three months, which can also buy you some time to make your decision. That said, we used to live in the city and walk a ton, at least 5 miles a day (and I run) so I never thought twice and got the bob double. We also now have the astlen baby entourage and I love that it has the double seat option and the sit and stand option. FWIW DS1 was almost 27 months when DS2 was born (DS2 will be 23 months this time) and we got a lot of use out of our double. I did keep my single though for when I was baby wearing and short walks when I knew DS1 would want to walk.
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    @bainidhedub I'm planning to wear baby #2 for the first few months, and use our single stroller with my soon to be 2 year old. When DS is with me, if I need to, I can put use the infant carseat in it. I'm planning to get this stroller for after she's 3-4 months. I have a few friends who have it and love it. Joovy Scooter X2 Double Stroller https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O20OPTQ/

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Has anyone use this before?  We really have everything we need since we are having boy #2 and they will be 2 years apart. Thought this might be my one big investment since it looks amazing!!  
  • Options
    missblazemissblaze member
    edited July 2017
    @abuie1230 One of my friends used this and said it is AMAZING. ETA: She had twins, and I'm sure this made things 1000x easier for many reasons. ;)

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Options
    @abuie1230 one of my friends said it was a waste of money, but I wish I would have had one last time since we went to formula after 2 weeks. This time my goal is to breastfeed but if I can't I'll be ordering this. It will make life so much easier at night... I think.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @abuie1230 my younger cousin has it and loves it. 
  • Options
    @abuie1230 My best friend had it and loved it. Especially in the early days when baby needs to eat every two hours and mom is dying of exhausting, she said it was a life saver. 
  • Options
    @abuie1230, someone posted about this on another board I frequent and it got awful reviews there. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    At what point, in your last trimester, would you say you really just didn't feel like going anywhere anymore? Asking because I'd really like to take a trip to the mountains with DH before baby arrives. I'm due January 2nd and originally wanted to go the weekend after Thanksgiving, but I wonder if I'd be miserable at that point. Could possibly go late October, at the earliest. I'd like for it to at least be cool out (Gatlinburg, TN area).
  • Options
    @whitta1218 That could be pushing it, from my experience. I got hit with wicked leg pains (RLP? I'm not sure but it felt like everything was just gonna fall off/out whenever I tried to walk) right at the beginning of week 35, and swollen legs/feet/ankles started around week 38. I'd say before like week 32 or 33 I was kind of a ridiculous beach ball with feet but I felt okay enough to want to do things.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @whitta1218 Week 34 I was over things. Week 36 I wanted to murder all the people who crossed my path. I say that in the kindest way possible. Everything was swollen. My feet, which had started swelling at 5 weeks, looked like they were going to explode. I actually just went back and found my bump photo from that week. I was highly impressed with being pregnant at that point. Haha. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    clc515clc515 member
    Just got a bunch of handmedown toys and supplies from DH's friend... (totally generous, big thanks to her). After reading some Do's/Dont's on the internet, reconsidering keeping any cloth items (besides clothes that will wash easily) because of potential contamination from throw up or whatever from previous baby. Should I toss the cloth toy blocks/stuffed animals and boppy pillow, or safe to keep?
  • Options
    @whitta121, I never reached that point with DD1 and remained active until the night before I went into labor.

With DD2 I had a lot more pain and discomfort that started around 34 weeks, but a support brace helped tremendously.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @whitta1218, I'd say it depends on the person! I would have been fine going on a road/camping trip that far into my pregnancy. I never really got uncomfortable, and was still on my feet teaching all day until the day I went into labor. Not saying any of this to brag, but just to say that my experience was very different from PP's. I'm also 5'10" if that puts things into perspective. I had a lot of room for baby to grow and felt fantastic up until the very end.