September 2017 Moms

Post-partum prep

Breath_Easy92Breath_Easy92 member
edited July 2017 in September 2017 Moms
Disclaimer:  I hope it's okay that I am starting this thread, I'm not very good at searching but I didn't find anything like it! This might be a tad early for some people but I know @Rhubarb7216 and I are down for the count, Im not sure if anyone else is having to go a little early or not.

What is everyone doing in terms of prepping for post baby? Like frozen meals, padsicles, anyone having someone come help the first few days, etc. Do any second time moms have any advice? Or does anyone have any good ideas they want to share? 

Re: Post-partum prep

• I made about 12 padciles last night (I'm really hopeful things will go well and I won't need a C-Section). I didn't know how many I would want but that seemed like a reasonable number. 

For anyone looking for a recipe this is what I used:
    -maxi pads unwrap but keep wrapper
    -aloe vera (the clear kind) and I spread a thin layer on the whole thing.
    -I used an alcohol free witch hazel spray over top. (I thought the spray seemed less messy).
    -then I topped it off with about 5-10 drops of lavender essential oil but this is probably optional. I read it could reduce swelling but I'm skeptical, I just like the smell.
    -then I wrapped them back up and put the back in the plastic package they came in.
    -put in the freezer. 
  • Thanks for starting this thread @Breath_Easy92 ! Yup, the countdown is on for us...20 more days here (assuming baby doesn't decide to come before my induction date).

So far I have done the following for post partum prep:
    -Stocked up on: two different sizes of pads, dermaplast spray, witch hazel pads (need to put one of the boxes of pads in the fridge to chill for when we get home from hospital)
    -Made one freezer meal (in a quantity that will probably be enough for 2 meals each for my husband and me)
    -Made sure we had a bottle of my favorite red wine in the house :)

Things I still plan to do:
    -Make two more freezer meals
    -Make padsicles?
  • Loading the player...
  • I heard Always pads were awful feeling down there. Don't buy Always!

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • I heard Always pads were awful feeling down there. Don't buy Always!

Oh no - that's what I bought! I had found a lot of people recommending them on different websites.
  • @Rhubarb7216 It's all I have from TTC as well! They made such cute slim overnight pads haha. I hope it works fine for you!

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • We have at most 4 weeks left before the induction, depending on whether my BP goes crazy again. I haven't started a lot of prep for post partum quite yet aside from getting all our house projects done and starting some baby proofing. I do plan to meal prep before hand. I want to make 3-5 meals to have frozen ahead of time. DH is an amazing cook; he plans to make fresh meals a day or two in advance for me while he is away on shift. I probably won't make any of the padsicles in advance because there is a high probability that I will have to have a C-section. I'd rather have the extra space in my freezer for pre-made dinners.
  • I am a STM and will be having a repeat c-section so a little different for me. But my advice is make sure you stock up on everyday items like toliet paper, shampoo, bath soap, lots of cleaning items, pads, toothpaste, pet food etc. Nothing is worse than coming home and realize you need to send your husband shopping or running out the first week you are home with no help. I also plan on making a couple little baskets of changing items for the baby including extra outfit. I usually also add in a couple items for me like a hair tie. We have a split level and I do not want to run to the babies room for every change. Freezer meals and plenty of snacks for you. You will feel like you dont have time to eat those first weeks and it is easy if you have healthy options you can just grab at 2 a.m. Last if you are able to before make sure your laundry is done and house clean. One less big worry. Hope this helps!

• Maybe a UO here, but I wouldn't do too many freezer meals. There was a lot of stuff I had no desire to eat after DD was born and I feel like it would've been a waste. You should get some pads from the hospital, and I guess I will have one box at home, but I wouldn't buy a ton of those either because you might want a different brand. 

I would have size 1 and NB diapers on hand. DD never wore NB sizes because she was so big, but I don't think it would hurt to have them at home. I got Dermoplast spray and a spray water bottle from the hospital as well, so I didn't need to buy those. Tylonel and Colace aren't a bad idea because you will need both of them.

I found that an Amazon Prime membership was the most helpful thing to have....
  • @Rhubarb7216 @cchenal07 and @JNR6510 what kind of freezer meals are you making/ do you have a website that you typically get recipes? I've never tried it before.

Also, I have a rookie question... what's the deal with hemoroids? I've never had them, does everyone get them mostly? And what can you do about it? Lol I need the ugly truth...
  • @Breath_Easy92 so far I've made a batch of BBQ pulled chicken in the crockpot. I used this recipe: https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-bbq-shredded-chicken-168003 (crockpot instructions at the very bottom or you can use regular instructions to make in the oven). The other two we are planning on are tomato sauce/meatballs and eggplant parm (for that my husband will prep it but not cook it and then we will defrost and cook when ready to eat). Soups and stews are also really good for putting in the freezer, but it's hard to get in the mood for making those in the middle of the summer!
  • I am making a lasagna; ratatouille; chicken, broccoli, and rice casserole; crock pot bag of chicken tikka masala; and probably a couple other crock pot dump and go meals. I don't have any special recipe websites. I like to do most of my cooking from scratch with veggies from our garden. 
  • tiki8286tiki8286 member
    edited July 2017
    Previous two births I used pads by Stayfree...any other brand felt like it was made out of plastic (especially Always brand!). Plastic and healing = ouch!! I didn't make any padsicles either time and was fine - only used them in the hospital, which were provided there. Hospital also provided witc hazel, which were great for both healing and hemmoroids. I was able to take them home as well, they even gave me an extra box .I took home the peri bottle.  Other than that, everything else can be purchased as needed once you get home - we  have Prime Now which is a godsend with two (soon to be 3) kids. 
  • @Breath_Easy92
    We try and make extras of things we are already making and easy to freeze. Meatballs, homemade pancakes are awesome, chili, enchiladas, baked pasta dishes. Soups are also easy. Pintrist has a million ideas. As for hemmoroids lol... Use stool softners as time gets closer and the first couple weeks home. Not every one gets them but they suck if you do. 
  • I bought medical grade ice pack pads from amazon for my son. I still have a ton and they haven't expired so I'm using those again. You just pop it and voila it's an ice pack. I didn't really use them a whole bunch honestly. My husband would be freaked out if I had frozen pads in our freezer lol. But I do have witch hazel pads which I used for a long time with my first. Great for hemorrhoids and any tearing. I thought the dermaplast spray burned so I didn't used it all that much. Take the peri bottle home with you and use it every time. 
    I used Kotex pads and they don't have the plastic. 
    Also take the mesh undies home with you! Ask for extras. 
    I didn't do any freezer meals either with my first. I'm just going to make sure I have a stocked pantry and fridge. I have shipt and can have groceries delivered. I will probably do a Costco run and buy a bunch of freezer meals. 
  • One of the things a friend did that I copied with DS1 was having a basket with diaper changing supplies in different areas of the house.  It was essential, especially if you have a two story.  Mine have:  diapers, lotion, petroleum (for post circumcision), wipes, hand sanitizer.  

I recommend not only making freezer meals, but having them labeled and single portioned out.  My MIL made us a bunch of meals, and they were such life savers when I was home alone with DS1.  I also made lighter stuff, like banana nut bread, to freeze as well.  Soup, pretty much any crock pot meal, roasted turkey breast that can just be thrown back in the oven for 30m, etc.   There are lots of Pinterest ideas for putting together crock pot meals ahead of time, so all you have to do is throw them in and then it on.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • The Trimester boards have a pinned announcement for favorite freezer meals - I made quite a few for my cousin when she had her baby. We will see if I actually make them for myself this time.

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • halstampshalstamps member
    edited July 2017
    I have been nesting like crazy. I am a FTM and I generally unorganized person. Even though I have 9 weeks left my postpartum basket is pretty much complete unless someone suggests something else I need.

So far I have: stuff to make padsicles (the giant oversized Equate pads, aloe Vera, and witch hazel), the equate brand of Truck's pads, size 4 pads, Always Descreet adult underwear, large cotton underwear, the blue Dermoblast, a moist heating pad that you heat in the microwave, a toilet bowl sitz bath, and Birth Song Botanicals Postpartum Healing Herb Sitz Bath and Soak. I am hoping to get a bunch of stuff from the hospital like some of the witch hazel pads and that squirt bottle. 

I plan to wear the Descreet underwear when I use the padsicles and until I know I can control my bladder. Also I read that the padsicles  leak when they melt. I may also wear them to bed for a little while. Then switch to just just pads and cotton underwear. 

I am considering making an ice pack I saw on Pinterest that is just a condom filled with water and frozen. But I don't know if I want to explain that every time a visitor looks in my freezer.

At the moment I am researching what to put in my breastfeeding basket that I will sit next to me where I decide to camp out and feed. 

I have no idea what to expect! Some of my family think I am way over preparing. Even my sister-in-law who is pregnant with her second ,due in November, scoffs at my efforts. 

Edit: I also have a postpartum belly wrap. 
  • @halstamps refrigerated condoms made me laugh out loud. Just buy a thing of large gloves at walgreens and fill it with ice and tie if off. That's what nurses use in the hospital for ice packs. A box of gloves is also a lot cheaper than a box of condoms.

i just made sure I had water and nipple ointment near me when I nursed. 
  • My main concern this time around is freazer meals. I have never done them before but with an 8 yr old and a toddler I feel they will be necessary.
  • Here is what I have done so far but still need to work on actually packing my hospital bag...
    -Purchased Nature Care maternity pads and also heavy flow pads (also not a big fan of Always pads)
    - Have a huge bottle of aloe vera juice in the fridge which I will be making homemade "wipes" with 
    -My hospital provides the large ice packs for down there so I am hoping to score a few to take home
    -Purchased Vitamin K drops that we will administer to the baby since we are opting not to get the shot
    -Started a few months ago making and freezing homemade chicken and veggie broths for me to have after delivery.  My husband will be home for over two weeks after baby so no need for freezer meals since he does the cooking
    -Purchased one organic formula just in case breast feeding does not work out we have a back up
  • STM advice:
    - Snacks and bottled water in the rooms you will nurse in. I would be starving at night and need to eat, granola bars and prunes (helps you go) where hidden in the nursery and by the couch. Also I think I chugged a bottle of water every time I nursed so especially at night, you don't want to be refilling glasses of water. 
    - Have a lot of burp cloths in all the rooms you plan to feed/nurse in. We used cloth diapers and even with 20, we were always scrambling to find something to sop up milk, spit up, other fluids. 
    - Button down stretchy shirts. I had loads of nursing bras but not really a lot of shirts that were boob accessible. I lived in two PJ tops that buttoned down. 
    - Coconut oil anywhere you plan to nurse. F the lanolin, I just put coconut oil in little tupperware containers and had them around the house. Much easier to use than lanolin and cheaper. 
    - Gas drops, gripe water for baby. For hiccupy babies those are life savers. 
    - Food delivery/ grocery delivery, Dog walker lined up, help from family or at least someone who is a mom. When people want to come and see the baby and ask if they can bring anything, tell them food! 
    - At least 1 can of formula. You never know what will happen and a fed baby is most important. 
    - See if your community has a new moms group. A lot of hospitals host them, or churches. This was an invaluable resource to me. Weekly meetings where I could talk to new moms and also get out of the house. 
    - Lactation consultant contact info. Don't leave the hospital without this and ask around for ones that your friends liked. You really don't need to be googling this when baby is hungry and you are tired etc. 
    - Butt wipes for you! Eventually your hoohaa stops hurting but you still have the longest period ever. 
    - Also, sounds dumb but the thicker the pad does not mean the better. I stopped using the hospital pads in the hospital and switched to the foam ones, i think Always. Huge difference in comfort and absorbency. 
  • I'm a STM and right now I'm trying to stock up on plenty of pads and granny panties for the glamorous PP recovery. I've got a few bottles on hand and a can of formula but plan to EBF. I am not planning on doing any type of meal prep because after I had DD it took me a couple of days before I could eat normally again. SO is typically the cook of the house anyway and he's taking some time off work to help me while I recover. 

• I used Depends as suggested by my midwife and I was so very happy that I did. After the first several days I switched to Thinx underwear, which are reusable period underwear (I'm a huge hippie - I kind of died a little inside every time I had to throw away a pair of Depends). I probably would have used those the whole time if they could have handled that much flow.

I made several days worth of frozen foods but also, a friend of mine set up a Meal Train for me for people to bring food every other day for the first month or so. If you have friends and family in the area I most definitely recommend this. That way you get fresh homemade food a few times a week plus your loved ones know exactly what to do to help you out when they come to visit baby.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • @wannabeamongoose I need one of those meal trains! Seriously! I am currently starting to organize recipes for freezer meals and it is overwhelming. I don't have anyone around to help with the older kids so I know I will be exhausted and I also know I will have zero desire to cook. I would be surprised if my DH is able to take off more than the couple days in the hospital since he is just now working again and because of our financial situation. 
  • Mac n cheese and cereal <3

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • This is my third baby, and honestly I feel like what you need post-partum just depends on how everything goes and it can be totally different for everyone. I'm most concerned about having any house projects done and having my house clean, because I know how hard it is to get anything done  after baby comes. I did make freezer meals for my second, and it was nice to have but not necessary for me. I felt like if I or my husband couldn't cook, we could get relatively healthy inexpensive take out. With that being said if I have time I may make a few freezer meals in my last few weeks of pregnancy. I had a pretty bad tear in both previous births, but I got what I needed from the hospital. They gave me the mesh undies, the icepack, the spray bottle ( invaluable to me) and the witch hazel pads. They also gave me the numbing spray. I really can't see myself taking the time to deal with the padsicles ( I will use the ice pack in the hospital) after a day or two with a 6 year old and two year old plus baby at home. With baby number two, I ended up using a nipple shield ( to allow my cracked nipple to heal) and nipple butter, and I had to send a family member out to buy those things. I will probably have some ahead of time even though with baby #1 I did not need or use those things. I feel like making sure you have comfortable nursing pajamas/clothes and access to a breast pump ( in case you need it asap) is pretty important and of course it's nice to have your groceries and household necessities stocked.

imageimage

TTC #1 January 2009
    January 2010 SA results: Count 16 million, Motility 40%, Morphology 2%
    January 2010- Surprise BFP! DS born 10/1/2010 :)
    January 2013 TTC #2
    September 2013 Repeat SA: Count= 1.7 million, Motility= 24%, Morphology= 2%
    November 6th 1st Appointment with RE: diagnosed with severe MFI
    Testing to try to determine a cause & possible treatment for MFI
    CD 3 blood work for me. RE does not want to repeat my HSG/lap at this point,
    but may want to before moving forward with any fertility treatments.
    After seeing the uro, DH is currently taking lots of supplements and clomid to try to boost his count. We will have a repeat SA in February to see if it works.
    Follow up SA numbers are: Count= 4 million, Motility= 40%, Morphology= 1%
    Uro wants us to have another follow up SA 5/9 to see if we see further improvement than we are back to the RE to make a game plan.

SA 5/9/2014 Count: 12 Million, Motility: 60%, and Morphology 2%. We will be doing iui #1 in late June

IUI #1 6/28 clomid + ovidrel, post wash count 3 million total sperm= BFN

IUI # 2 7/21 clomid+ ovidrel. post wash count 900,000 total sperm= BFN

IVF planned for early November- cancelled due to cyst

December IVF #1- 22 eggs, 20 mature,16 fertilized

12/9 Transferred 1 4AA Blast, 6 frosties

*****Everyone is welcome******

• I'm with you @TLooney17. I'm not an over prepper. I have never used any of the things listed by others. I honestly am not sure why but I have anxiety over the meal situation really bad this time! I've never had help from family and my husband has never been able to take off work. So maybe that's why? Lol.
    I just want to have my kids fed!
  • I'm stocking up on toilet paper, pain meds, Colace, granola bars, and Parmalat milk... I hate running out of milk! 
  • I also agree with much of what @TLooney17 said. I'm a lot more concerned with getting the house itself prepped. We have just now gotten the kids' room painted and carpets cleaned and DD's new toddler bed set up in there, so there is MUCH work to be done to get the room ready (ugh, I really should have done this months ago before I was huge). I will just get most of the stuff for my nether regions from the hospital. I will, however, buy a package of Depends and have some Colace waiting on me for when I get home. Fortunately, we have a Target and Walmart just down the street, so it will be no big deal to send DH out to get anything we need as he is taking a week off work to stay home with us.

As for the meals, I probably won't prep much myself... maybe if I have time, just boil and shred up a chicken and freeze the meat and broth to make some quick casseroles, soups, etc, with. DH is a great cook though, so he will probably do most of the cooking for a while.  When my friend was pregnant, someone used this website to set up a calendar for friends to sign up to bring meals to them after the baby was born, and I thought it was pretty cool:  https://www.carecalendar.org/
    I would actually love to have one set up for us, but would feel kind of awkward doing it for my own self... sooo I dunno, I might not-so-subtly suggest to a friend or relative that they can set one up for me, haha.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @wannabeamongoose -- Ahhh, I'm so jealous. DH keeps asking what he can do to help me out, and I tell him, but it doesn't seem to get done...I also suggested a cleaning service, but he seems to think that I was joking. We'll see if he thinks I'm joking when I lose it down the line. 
  • @wannabeamongoose LUCKY!!!!!!! Enjoy while you can we will all be jealous!
  • @tfrangul I've heard of freezer meals from a few people and was so undecided but really considering it after seeing all these post. I just made a list of some ideas and getting excited as well :) should make life easier.
  • @bnmort8 I just know how I was with previous babies and this will be great. I do not have much of an appetite but my family will and I know I will have zero energy after caring for my newborn and toddler all day! Good luck! I'll let you know how my Saturday goes
  • A housekeeper is the greatest thing ever. I would cut cable to save money before I got rid of mine! DH thinks I'm going to cut her back on maternity leave....uhhhhh nope. Lol 
  • OmSweetOm said:
    Am I the only one that thinks a frozen pad on ya bits sounds..... kinda painful?  :# 
    Not after you've had a baby!