Baby Names
Options

Leo for baby boy

Due in October with our first boy. DH and we have been stuck on boys names. The only one we agree on is Leo James (I know james is boring, but its my dad's name). I know people love it or hate it. My only hang up would be if it is too nick name-y. I do love that it is short, easy to pronounce, cute for a baby or toddler and masculine/strong for an adult. It is uncommon but not unheard of and has a nice vintage sound. I call LO Leo and even sign birthday cards using his name along with DD (is that weird, lol). We have a 4 syllable, hard to pronounce Ukrainian last name that starts with a "K" so i thought a short first name would go great. DD's name is Mila (Meal-ah) Grace and i THINK they sound good together. Any thoughts? Could use an outside opinion! Names like Leonardo, Leopold, Leon and Leonard we don't like. 

Re: Leo for baby boy

• Options
    Leo James is awesome! I don't think it's too nick name-y. Mila and Leo sound great together.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I love Leo. I don't think it's too nicknamey. I like just Leo better than the longer alternatives.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's fine. I prefer the longer forms, but Leo is fine.
  • Options
    Thanks! Leonardo just sounds too Italian and clashes with our Ukrainian heavy last name. I suppose Leopold could work, but it just sounds a bit pertenciois to me. Leonard would probably get shortened to Lenny, which reminds me of Of Mice and Men. I gues Leon could work, but I figure why change the sound of a name for 1 additional letter. It's still 2 syllables.. So that's why I don't like the long versions lol. Thanks again, ladies! 
  • Options
    bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited June 2017
    I think Leo James is nice

• Options
    I think my mom not liking it really messes me up. She said it sounds like an old person/grandpa name, which I didnt picture at all! It's funny because she didnt like DD's name either and it never bothered me. I think it is because I always loved DD's name and was confident in it. Boy names we have always struggled to "love" a name! I did love Wyatt, but DH hated it, so it is off the table. 
  • Options
    Leo James is great 
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    It's a great name! 
  • Options
    I think Leo James is a great choice.  You're already using it for the baby -- why second guess it now?  I'm also in the "married into a long, hard-to-pronounce, Ukranian name" club!  My kids are big now, and it's been nice for them to both have first names that are easy to pronounce, given the extreme butchering our last name usually gets when people encounter it for the first time.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    Leo James is great!  I don't think that it sounds like a grandpa name at all.  And I prefer Leo to the longer variations as well.  

• Options
    Thank you all. Sometimes I just need triple reassurance. Especially when people as close to me as my mom say they don't like it!
  • Options
    kkerner87 said:
    Thank you all. Sometimes I just need triple reassurance. Especially when people as close to me as my mom say they don't like it!
    This is why I didn't tell my family and friends DS' name... I don't think they knew what to say a first, but his name was his name so it didn't matter... now, they love it and it totally fits. Go with what you love and you won't regret it. 
  • Options
    It is a stand alone name. There have multiple popes named Leo, and I don't think that is the kind of position in which one would use a NN for an official title, kwim?

Leo James sounds like a winner to me.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kkerner87 said:
    I think my mom not liking it really messes me up. She said it sounds like an old person/grandpa name, which I didnt picture at all! It's funny because she didnt like DD's name either and it never bothered me. I think it is because I always loved DD's name and was confident in it. Boy names we have always struggled to "love" a name! I did love Wyatt, but DH hated it, so it is off the table. 
        Leo is so much better then Wyatt
  • Options
    mb0112mb0112 member
    I like Leo James a lot.  James is not "boring" to me but the more unusual first name balances it out well. Very cute for a kid but still solid for adult. 
  • Options
    Leo James is my sons name :) everyone comments on how much they love it. James is also my late dad's name. You've got a good, solid name there! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1 10/5/13 MMC 11/13/13 D&C 11/15/13
    BFP #2 5/14/14 EDD 1/19/15 Beta 1: 728 Beta 2: 1858 We have a heartbeat! 166 @ 7w3d  Please be our RAINBOW!
    Baby G is a BOY!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    themrsthemrs member
    I love Leo on its own! Sounds great with James too.
    H & I: Both 28
    Married: June 2015
    TTC #1: June 2016
    BFP: 11-24-16 ~ EDD 8-9-17
    IT'S A BOY!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MrsCFBMrsCFB member
    I like it!
  • Options
    Leo is great - not at all an old man's name.  Use it!  :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

DD: 6/21/10
    DS: 10/11/14
  • Options
    Love it! 
  • Options
    Abby7Abby7 member
    kkerner87 said:
    Thanks! Leonardo just sounds too Italian and clashes with our Ukrainian heavy last name. I suppose Leopold could work, but it just sounds a bit pertenciois to me. Leonard would probably get shortened to Lenny, which reminds me of Of Mice and Men. I gues Leon could work, but I figure why change the sound of a name for 1 additional letter. It's still 2 syllables.. So that's why I don't like the long versions lol. Thanks again, ladies! 
    I think Leonard is the English name? You could consider that, it's kind of nice actually.

Leo is the nick name of my great uncle born in the 1920s so I do find it a bit "old man", but older names are the new names now.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker