October 2017 Moms
Options

Tubal ligation after vsginal delivery?

Hi ladies! I've been totally MIA these weeks, with two littles with me full time over the summer and work ramping up I haven't connected with you as much as I'd love to!! 
Wuestion: has anyone hear from of tubal ligation being done immediately after a vaginal delivery?
DH is fine going the vasectomy route but if I'm already at the hospital I might as well consider this as another option! 

(I will ask my doc at my next visit which is in 2 weeks)

Re: Tubal ligation after vsginal delivery?

• Options
    **lurking from Sept.

I have a friend who had it done the day after her vaginal delivery and she said her recovery was horrible. She's not sure if it's because it was so soon after delivery or i complications would have arisen no matter the timing, but she does wish she would have waited a few months.

My cousin had tubal ligation done simultaneously with her planned cesarian. They were already in there so they went ahead and tied things up. She said her recovery was no different than her first cesarian and she only had to go through recovery once by having it done at the same time. Your doc will still have to code it properly and some insurance won't pay for it because it's an "elective" procedure, so I'd find out if yours covers it.

I will say that cousin had a really hard time finding a doc who would do it for her. She was only 25 and she had several docs tell her that they would not do it because they just knew she would regret it later.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Options
    **lurking from Sept.

I have a friend who had it done the day after her vaginal delivery and she said her recovery was horrible. She's not sure if it's because it was so soon after delivery or i complications would have arisen no matter the timing, but she does wish she would have waited a few months.

My cousin had tubal ligation done simultaneously with her planned cesarian. They were already in there so they went ahead and tied things up. She said her recovery was no different than her first cesarian and she only had to go through recovery once by having it done at the same time. Your doc will still have to code it properly and some insurance won't pay for it because it's an "elective" procedure, so I'd find out if yours covers it.

I will say that cousin had a really hard time finding a doc who would do it for her. She was only 25 and she had several docs tell her that they would not do it because they just knew she would regret it later.
    Thank you, @wannabeamongoose!! I'm older (34) and this is our third so I don't think it will be an issue getting it approved. That said, thank you for sharing your friend's experience, and your cousin's as well! I think if I end up with an unlikely c section I'll go ahead and get it done, otherwise I'll go forward with our plan to get hubby snipped once DS is born :) I'll bring it up w my doc anyways!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I asked my midwife, she said our hospital would not do it any sooner than six weeks after a vaginal delivery. 
  • Options
    I mentioned it to my doctor he said I would have to wait six-eight weeks after delivery.
  • Options
    I've had patients have it done the day after a vaginal delivery and it makes recovery more uncomfortable. I think your idea of getting hubby snipped is a smart choice!