Infertility

Talking about infertility with a co-worker

Yesterday my co-worker kind of floated the idea that infertility might be something women should accept because it’s meant to be (God’s will?) or nature’s population control or way of saying you shouldn’t have children.

And it’s one thing to criticize expensive and onerous fertility treatments and IVF, especially when we live in a world with so many children without families and homes (the reason we were talking about it in the first place).  There’s no end of discussion to be had, I think, about how we prioritize/romanticize blood relationships, imply nature trumps nurture, and act as though pregnancy and gestation create magical bonds between mother and child.  Those are good topics to explore.

But to say, in this day and age, that infertility must not be overcome, even when we have the tools to sometimes overcome it … let’s just say that I was pretty shocked

Re: Talking about infertility with a co-worker

• zena_mils said:

Yesterday my co-worker kind of floated the idea that infertility might be something women should accept because it’s meant to be (God’s will?) or nature’s population control or way of saying you shouldn’t have children.

And it’s one thing to criticize expensive and onerous fertility treatments and IVF, especially when we live in a world with so many children without families and homes (the reason we were talking about it in the first place).  There’s no end of discussion to be had, I think, about how we prioritize/romanticize blood relationships, imply nature trumps nurture, and act as though pregnancy and gestation create magical bonds between mother and child.  Those are good topics to explore.

But to say, in this day and age, that infertility must not be overcome, even when we have the tools to sometimes overcome it … let’s just say that I was pretty shocked

Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe start a personal blog instead. I'm not sure we are what you need and/or vice versa 
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • I know a certain other baby website message board that would be fine with these kinds of posts!