Babies on the Brain

Read, watch, craft - July 7

Talk to us...
Reading any good books lately? Are you currently reading anything? Anything on the to read list?

Do you have any craft projects you are currently/want to start working on?

Do you have any home improvement/projects around your house you are working on?

Watch anything good lately? TV? Movies? Netflix? 

Re: Read, watch, craft - July 7

• Reading any good books lately? Are you currently reading anything? Anything on the to read list? Still not reading anything for fun :( I had a ton of reading for grad school this week. I am almost done with this semester. I am so excited for a little break!

Do you have any craft projects you are currently/want to start working on? Not really been doing some card making recently but other than that nope. I want to make one of those frames you hold that says "first day of kindergarten" for school but I haven't started or gotten the stuff to make it yet.

Do you have any home improvement/projects around your house you are working on? I picked paint but I need to sand the walls in the bathroom to paint. I have been trying to convince DH to do the sanding but that isn't going well. My bedroom is also a hot mess so this week I have tried to go in and work on it a little bit each day. So far I have a garbage bag and a half of clothing to donate so I am petty happy that some progress is being made :)

Watch anything good lately? TV? Movies? Netflix? I started to watch Chance it's okay but it's not kid friendly so I have only watched a few episodes. I also have been rewatching the Harry Potter movies. 
  • @glitzandglitter How much longer do you have in this semester? I hope you get some help from DH with the sanding!

Reading any good books lately? Are you currently reading anything? Anything on the to read list? I finished Believe Me by Eddie Izzard in one night. He's my favorite comedian and it was a great read. I have a couple of books going on my Kindle, but nothing too interesting.

Do you have any craft projects you are currently/want to start working on? Nothing, really. Just the same stuff I've been trying to work on for the last couple of months.

Do you have any home improvement/projects around your house you are working on? We've decided that we're only going to be in this apartment for one more year, so we probably won't be doing much else in terms of mounting things on the wall. We might be getting a cat within the next couple of months, though!

Watch anything good lately? TV? Movies? Netflix? Nothing new, lol. I have this batch of DVDs that I watch when I'm having a bad day, so I watched them for about three days straight last week.

Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • Loading the player...
  • Reading any good books lately? Are you currently reading anything? Anything on the to read list?
    I so rarely have time to read, which is a bummer because I love reading, but I'm sloooooowly working my way through Nixonland.  It's incredibly fascinating about that time period, the political climate of the time, and I've been completely blown away by how relevant it is today, in terms of the divide between left and right in America (and the book makes the case that a lot of that actually began with Nixon.)  Fascinating!  I'm a politics nerd, so I find it super interesting.  It's long though, so I will probably be working on this one a while, since I only get a chance to read probably about 15 minutes a week, lol.

I am the least crafty person I know, so this answer will always be no, haha.

Yes, we've been slowly decorating our apartment, finally.  Last month I made two photo walls and finished decorating our dining room.  This month I'd love to decorate our living room, though we're having to wait money wise.  I want to order a bunch of prints of DD and some from our wedding to frame and put on the wall.  (Yes, we got married 4 years ago and no, we don't have any framed photos up!  It's driving me crazy!)  But getting the prints and frames plus a some framed pieces of art I want to put up on the wall is probably going to cost $200 or so, so we'll probably wait until next month, since we have to pay off DD's ear tube surgery this month.  

I also would love to redecorate our guest bathroom because it's kind of a hot mess.  Our cats have their litter box in there and they sleep there at night, so it's always kind of messy, they have their food storage container in there, there's no decoration of any kind - I'd love to spruce that up.  Maybe in September!  

We're re-watching Veep because it's the perfect thing to watch like, 10 minutes of before going to bed at night, which is all the TV watching we do lately.  But we're about to be caught up, so I'm not sure what we'll watch next.  Probably something on Netflix, but I feel like there are so many options it's always hard to choose!  Any Netflix recs?
  • @maureenmce Do you guys like horror? Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix was excellent, and VERY funny. But I'm also a major horror nerd, so I'm just weird in general.
  • edited July 2017
    @dreamscapes_ I have 3 more weeks (including this week) Awww you will have to let us know when you get your kitten :)

@Maureenmce - we have lived in our house for almost 6 years and still haven't finished hanging stuff. Also, we have no pictures from our wedding around the house. It is something I have always wanted to do but never have and we've been married for 12 years :#

ETA : to add part that apparently disappeared 
  • @glitzandglitter So, yay, you're almost there! :D I definitely will. It's mainly going to come down to finances. Our complex requires a $300 fee per pet, so we'd have to have that available as well as money for everything we'd need to get the cat home. One of the Petsmart locations near us partners with a local no-kill shelter, so they always have adoptable cats in store and we stop in every time we go past. This fluffball has been in there for a few weeks now, so we decided that if he's still there at the end of the month, we're going to take him home. He's a Maine coon mix and is about eight years old.

• @Dreamscapes_ I love him! So handsome! FX he's still there and he gets to come home with you :)
  • @dreamscapes_  - My husband likes horror but I am a total pansy and really easily grossed out, so it's probably not for me, lol.  But I've heard it's really good!  Have you seen Glow at all?  I've heard good things about that so it's on my maybe list.

@glitzandglitter  - Oh good, I'm not alone then, haha.  I swear I've had it on my to do list since our 1st anniversary and time just keeps on flying by!

• @glitzandglitter We're hoping he's still there, too, but if he isn't, that's okay :) That'll just mean that someone else took him home!

@maureenmce It's very much comedy horror, but the effects team does their best to have the gore be realistic, so yeah, probably not for you :) I haven't seen Glow! Not even sure what it's about, lol.

We have a few of our wedding photos up around the house. I keep getting codes from Shutterfly for free prints, so I make use of them, lol.
  • @glitzandglitter  Good luck with the end of your semester!  I know you'll be relieved to be done.

@maureenmce  The Nixonland book sounds really interesting. I'm not usually a nonfiction reader but it might have to go on my list.

@dreamscapes_ What a pretty kitty! I hope you get him!

Reading any good books lately? Are you currently reading anything? Anything on the to read list?
     I've been reading the Neapolitan novels by Elena Ferrante. Right now I'm almost done with the second book. They are so good! 

Do you have any craft projects you are currently/want to start working on? I am super not crafty, so nope!

Do you have any home improvement/projects around your house you are working on?  My dad came up over the weekend and helped MH fix the drainage in our backyard. It has rained like crazy all spring and summer and we had basically a lake in the yard every time. Of course, now it hasn't rained at all since they put the drains in, so we haven't gotten to see if it worked or not... :smile: Meanwhile I'm working on refinishing a dresser that I got from a consignment furniture place, to replace my old one which is way too small.  Never refinished anything before so I'm learning as I go on this one.

Watch anything good lately? TV? Movies? Netflix?  We just got HBO Now so we could catch up on Veep and Silicon Valley, and watch the new season of Game of Thrones once it comes out. I am super, super excited for GOT to come back!!
  • @diaphena- I am so excited for a break plus then I only have 1 more semester left! 
    I need my HBO back too - I need to remind DH to get on that! I can't wait for GOT!
  • @diaphena We'll see what happens! If he's not available, we're going to wait until we find the right cat. I hope your drainage repair went well! We've been having a lot of rain here, too.
  • @dreamscapes_ Good luck with the cat!  I'm horribly allergic, but I can see the appeal of a pet cat.

@glitzandglitter That's awesome that you are so close!  Good luck with it all.

@maureenmce We have a Shutterfly album from our wedding and a couple of small metal prints on display, but that's it.  And we have a display of DS from the first six weeks, and nothing else of him.  I would actually really like to have some family portraits taken, but DH is opposed to paying someone for that.  Plus, we're hoping to have a new member soon... And either way, we'd then have to figure out how to display them.  I am a fan of the metal or canvas prints, though, they remove the stress of picking a frame.  They're probably not cheaper, though.

I've been listening to a mystery series that revolves around a needlework shop.  It's really tame and formulaic, and pretty cheesy, but I'm in zero danger of stumbling upon a racy sex scenes.  So that's good.  It's basically Murder She Wrote, with cross-stitching?  Not a glowing recommendation, but it fits the theme of the thread pretty well.

I'm visiting my parents, and my mom wanted to start knitting a sweater for DS.  So I went with her to the yarn store and ended up with yarn for my own project.  Also a sweater for DS.  I'm pretty excited to start, though, it's has a few different colors and should be a fun challenge.  I'm considering steeking it, which means knitting it in the round like a pullover, then cutting it up the front to make it a cardigan.  I don't know if I'm brave enough to take scissors to my knitting, though.

Nope.  DH just patched the hole in our bedroom wall from last year.  So that's nice.

On Monday, we took DS to daycare and saw the morning show of Baby Driver.  It was pretty good, although I kinda expected more from all the hype.  I did like it, though, and would recommend it.
  • @dreamscapes_ He's sooooo cute!!!
    @maureenmce Totally not alone 4 years and counting here :/. Our Wedding photos are still just on CD I really need to put them in a album. I made a couple collages last year through Shutterfly after DSS graduated HS and yet to stick any of them on the walls :neutral: I suck so bad at home decor. 
    @glitzandglitter GL On the end of the semester YOUR ALMOST THERE!!! YOU GOT THIS!!!
    @Secretstapler that sounds like something up my alley book wise. I would totally want to find something to stitch while I listened to it though  ;)

I haven't gotten much reading in lately. I need to finish the book i'm on so I can take it back to the library this week. I just reserved a book which came HIGHLY recommended. Small Great Things by Jodi Picoullt(pardon spelling) and another called Hope something, that's a book on Christian parenting inspiration. 

Naw, Planning to hit Hobby Lobby this week to get some things to do with DS and I plan to pick up myself some new cross stitch supplies. 

I'm just leaving this one blank as not to aggravate myself. 

Nope. DH really wants to go see the new Spider Man and i'm pretty MEH about it to be honest. I'm just tired of all the actiony and comic book movies we watch. There's not much out that interest me right now either and that's not his fault. We've been talking about starting Sherlock on Netflix though. And now I want to try Veep I'd heard some good things about it already and you guys all seem to really enjoy it. 

Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• KFrobKFrob member
    @Secretstapler For Mother's Day last year DH booked family pictures at JC Penny. They were very inexpensive and came out great. I was expecting cheesy pictures like from when we were kids but they've modernized!  I still want to do some pricey family pictures outside in the fall with a real photographer though! 

What are these book things you speak of? Sigh, I don't remember the last time I read a book! 

I finally started DDs baby book. She's 18 months old. I didn't get very far though because the book I got is so involved. It actually documents each month and IRS making me feel like a bad mom for not doing it sooner and keeping track of all the stuff it's asking for.

We rent and have been here just shy of 2 years and are finally trying to hang family pictures and make it more personal.  Im terrible with stuff like this because I can't commit. We didn't finish DDs nursery until she was around 6 months old. I had a hard time finding exactly what I was looking for as far as a bed set and wall art. 

GOT!!!!! We binge watched all episodes this winter and can't wait for it to come back. We don't have cable so a bunch of shows we have to wait for. I'm super excited Hulu released season 3 of the Strain. It's fantastic! 
  • @maureenmce that book sounds like something I would enjoy! I love historical non-fiction.

@kindbytealikat we just saw Spider-Man yesterday and I loved it! I think it's a departure from the typical Superhero fare. They don't rehash the back story and the story, acting and characters aren't all solid. I was getting a little bored with the MCU, but this and Antman were real standouts for me.

@KFrob I didn't even get a Baby Book because I knew I wouldn't keep up with it. I made a scrapbook and did my own thing because I can do it at my own pace and the pictures help me remember things.

I'm reading the Alexander Hamilton biography by Ron Chernow, but I need to be more diligent about reading it every day. Not sure what I'll read next, but I've been working the biographies of the Presidents, so this was a break after reading one on James Madison. I guess James Monroe is next!

I bought supplies to start a second scrapbook for my son. I printed out pictures.... I just need to do it! 

We rent, but plan to look for a house soon. I guess I need to organize and purge more so we are ready for that.

I'm watching the latest seasons of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Jane the Virgin. Just finished the first season of The Handmaid's Tale.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @lalala2004 - I loved Handmaid's Tale - so well done!
  • @lalala2004 Oh how cool, I love the idea of reading a bunch of biographies of Presidents!  I'll have to do that once I'm through with my current batch of books.  
  • @kindbytealikat It's the Needlecraft Mystery Series by Monica Ferris. They're really tame, but I'm liking them.  And they spend a lot of time talking about cross-stitch.  And I like Sherlock a lot, especially the first couple of seasons.  The last season got a bit weird.

@kfrob Oooh, I may have to look into that.  A guy at my high school took his senior pictures there, in front of the Fall leaves backdrop.  They were super cheesy, but that was the joke.  I'd believe they can do better than that these days.

@lalala2004 I really like Jane the Virgin!  I just watched all three seasons on Netflix. That third season has some crazy twists, though.