August 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

• edited June 2017
    @Kaityrj for safety purposes, it's actually advised not to use any aftermarket products on your carseat while in the car. I've never seen a carseat that didn't have the newborn insert made for it.  The strap covers can prevent the straps from being tightened properly 

Eta:  https://csftl.org/non-regulated-products/
  • @Kaityrj Anything that you put into a car seat that didnt come with the car seat is not recommended or safe.  None of those things (neck support, strap covers etc.) are safety tested with the seat.  You really shouldn't need/use any of those extras.  
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @SouthernMama15 @littlebug2010 thank you! The insert was given to my by my very well meaning grandmother who is deathly afraid and has warned me multiple times that the baby can suffocate with their face forward/neck not supported. Sounds like I can use it in the carrier outside of the vehicle though?

going through registry checklist the stores gave us to see what we still may need to buy that we didn't get at the shower. Why do they make you think you need all this stuff and not put any warnings on it?! Grrr

thanks again, ladies!
  • @tova24
    I was inspired after your post about carseat covers, so I went to carseatcanopy.com.  If you use the promo code FREE4, you get $50 off your purchase, and the covers are $49.95 each.  So all I paid was $15 in shipping.  They've got tons of cute patterns.  I didn't use one with DS at all, but loved these patterns, so I figured why not try it this time around.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Do I need to wash my baby's laundry with baby specific laundry detergent like Dreft or Honest? Can I mix baby's clothes in with the rest of our laundry? 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• @kristenk727 that's what we have, I just push the handle down in the car and it's out of the way.

Re: aftermarket products, I do have a mirror in my car, but it's padded around the edges and plastic, not glass. I know they say it can be a distraction, but I'd be way more distracted if I couldn't see.

@Kaityrj I'm thinking it would be a pain taking it in and out, I don't know if you read the link I posted, but it showed how to support the head using blankets if needed. If baby is in the carrier and in the travel system, they should be facing you and you can prop or move the head as needed. I know it's scary and the suffocation happens, but try not to let people terrify you with that stuff.  A lot of those stories happen when a baby is left in the carrier and no one pays attention. 
  • tova24tova24 member
    @BlackNYellow I was told not to put baby clothes in with your regular laundry. Babies are known to have sensitive skin and the fragrance in regular detergents can end up irritating them. I bought some babyganics detergent. I had coupons from target and Buy Buy Baby for a couple dollars off!
  • @BlackNYellow I have sensitive skin so I already use the Tide free and gentle and was told that would be fine for baby, but I have heard if you use scented stuff that is best to not use. Especially those scent boosters or heavily scented soap. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @BlackNYellow We use method, and its scent free, so we aren't going to do anything different to start, but if we need to, we will switch it up. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • @tova24 we have one of those specific silver covers that I linked but admit I've never used it. DD is stil RFing (switching next week) and it seems like a pain to get it around the seat RFing. DD does complain her seat is hot so maybe we should start using it to see if it's worth it. 

Just a note about fabric car seat covers for when carrying baby. Make sure in the summer that there's a way for air to still get in. Placing a blanket over the carrier can actually trap in more heat and overheat the baby. Cold winters are not what I'm talking about here. For winter we have a big fuzzy, weather resistant one that slips into the top of the car seat to keep baby warm outside the car. https://www.today.com/parents/seeking-stroller-shade-why-covering-blanket-can-be-dangerous-baby-t101059

@BlackNYellow you don't have to use Dreft and the like. A lot of people report Dreft smells horrible. We've always started with using our same detergent and if your child has issues with whatever you're using, switch then. We've had zero issues for DD and use Tide. But every kid can be different.

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @BlackNYellow agree with what PPs said. Also keep in mind not to use dryer sheets, either (if you do).
  • katie0541katie0541 member
    edited June 2017
    Along the same lines as the laundry soap question - do I need the special pacifier wipes or the special dish soap for they sell bottles, nipples, etc or is like Dawn dish soap fine?
  • Kaityrj said:
    Along the same lines as the laundry soap question - do I need the special pacifier wipes or the special dish soap for they sell bottles, nipples, etc or is like Dawn dish soap fine?
    Dawn is fine. I actually washed bottles, nipples, etc in the dishwasher with normal dishwashing detergent. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• LSP87LSP87 member
    @BlackNYellow it depends on your baby's skin sensitivity. Dreft and a few others are lightly scented which can still be irritating. You may want to see about buying a few different, small containers to see what works best for your baby. I have sensitive skin so I already use free and clear laundry products. I also prefer to use wool dryer balls, as @szwill86 has mentioned that dryer sheets (even free and clear) can be irritating. 

@Kaityrj I never had problems using the regular Dawn dish soap for those things but I know some moms swear by babyganics. I believe breastmilk can be more difficult to clean for some, but I never experienced an issue with Dawn.
  • We always used old school Palmolive (the green kind) for washing bottles, rinsed in really hot water, and sterilized in microwave. 

For detergent I used dreft or purex baby until he was about 18 months old, now I just use the all free and clear. I've noticed if MIL washes anything at her house in her scented detergent his nose gets stuffy and he scratches till I take it off.

Like @bumpybump said with any cover, make sure baby doesn't overheat. Fortunately we don't have to walk far anywhere and pulled it back once in the car. If we had it over him while out it was in climate controlled stores.  I know people worry about babies getting cold, but they can overheat, too!
  • I never used special soaps or detergents and he has never had an issue.  I know of a few babies who did start to break out from detergents, so it's really a case by case basis. But out of sheer laziness, I would start off with what I already use. 
  • tova24tova24 member
    So I finally decided to buy a high chair! I went with a Phil&Teds Poppy chair. Has anyone bought/used one of these before? 
  • @tova24 I have not but it looks way easier to clean up than the fabric covered ones which is a huge plus. I wish I'd have listened to the experienced moms on my other BMB the first time around and gotten a no frills, easy to clean one. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump people think Dreft smells horrible?! I love the smell. And @BlackNYellow I still wash DDs clothes separate in sensitive detergent because she has moderate-severe excema.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • @aehogan90 yep. I hear people complain about the scent a lot. Different noses ;). I don't know that I've ever smelled it. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• *moved from gtky gear* DH just built our PNP... we got the snuggle suite which has the changing table and vibrating napper. (Got the napper to keep at grandparents since we got a rock n play) The PNP itself doesnt vibrate and the auto rock n play we got doesn't either...

I'm now worried that she won't fall asleep without vibration and I made bad choices! My niece could not sleep without vibration...Argh!

Gear freak out. So grandparents will have a vibrating bouncer, we will have a rock n play and a pack n play bassinet that does nothing...do I need to be more consistent with stimuli? 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
  • @smallbutmighty77 I know some friends have told me they have the vibration option and don't use it just so baby doesn't get used to it. We have a swing/bouncer combo and very rarely turned it on. He was much older when we did and didn't seem impressed.
  • @tova24 I love the look of the Phil and Ted Poppy chair! It was a contender for me but my H wanted something with "wood" so we went with the Skip Hop Tuo instead. Both have the same idea in that I wanted a solid surface to wipe down instead of anything with fabric. 

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Can anybody recommend the best baby carrier for dads? My husband cannot for the life of him get an Ergo to snap behind his shoulders. He likes the Bjorn that was gifted to us for DD1, but I want something ergonomically correct. He has big dreams of taking this kid on all of his trips to Lowes with him, and I want to encourage that!

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• @donehue DH and I will share an Infantino carrier. DH didn't think he would baby wear, but after seeing the carrier, his views changed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    @donehue we got the Lillebaby but haven't tried it out yet (FTM here). Should be ergonomically correct but not sure if it's straps are designed any differently than the Ergo so that your husband won't run into that issue. Now I'm curious so I might make DH try it on tonight. I'll let you know if we do. He has broad shoulders (has worn an XL in tshirts for forever...even when he was super lanky back in high school) but the thought that it might not fit hadn't occurred to me.

I wonder if you could go to BRU and they'd have them to try on in the store. Without knowing exactly what the strap issue is with the Ergo and how broad your DH is, I'm not sure I can help but maybe some STMs have some good feedback.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @donehue My Tula and Lillebaby fit DH fine. I know on the Tula group's, "larger" women ask all the time if a Tula will fit them and the answer has always been yes. Also know you can move the shoulder strap up and down so he could put it where he'd be the most narrow. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Thanks! I had never seen the Beco before - looks cool! I will check out Lillebaby and Infantino as well. I somehow made it through my last bump BMB without jumping on the Tula bandwagon (mostly because I didn't need another carrier), but I feel my resistance dwindling now  :)

DH is not that broad, he is mostly just the least flexible person in the entire world!

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• So, this is random but I wasn't sure which board my question would fit. It's more about maternity gear than baby gear, but oh well. I'm at the point now where my reg underwear is getting tight and uncomfortable. Is it worth it to buy maternity underwear or just go up a size or two to be comfortable? Also, if anyone thinks maternity ones are best - where did you get yours/what brands are best? 

Thanks!
  • @donehue has he tried moving that back clip piece up? It should be just below his neck. 
  • @taylormarie923 that's actually false about the upper back clip (unless you're talking about a specific brand? Or maybe I'm reading your comment wrong). The back clip doesn't have to be right below the neck, it can be adjusted up or down to help with more support (further down = more support). A lot of people keep it up high because that's the only way they can reach it to clip it. When I tried my Tula on in the babywearing store, the lady had me reach my hands behind me first to see which position would work best for clipping. For me, lower works great and gives me better support. 
    @donehue

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• JWatt5JWatt5 member
    @LadyDi711 - I did buy some maternity underwear which, I do wear but what I liked better was buying underwear that more geared towards working out - they stretch really nicely. I'm loving the Under Armour Pure Stretch - no lines and no seams to dig in to you. More money than regular stuff but I found that the maternity wasn't really "cheap". Then I can also wear them again after the pregnancy. I just found the maternity stuff to be a bit bulky for during the day, but I do sleep in it.
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• @LadyDi711 I sized up in these:

I found that they stretch well and fit under my bump comfortably (if you prefer under-bump undies). I got this 3 pack off eBay for $10 which was cheaper than any maternity underwear I found and cheaper than buying the 3 pack at Target. 
  • Lurking from July -- 
    @donehue Try YouTube for some tricks about how to snap the back strap. My friend has an old shoulder/collarbone injury that makes it hard to move one of her arms behind her back. She snaps the back clip and slips it over her head with the arm/shoulder straps realllllly loose, slides baby in from a side, then tightens the arm straps, which she can reach. Her DH has a different method, based on the videos they watched, where he gets all the top buckles situated, slides baby in from the bottom, then does the waist strap last. 

They also had good luck with slings and the K'tan when baby was little, since there wasn't the issue of reaching behind. 
  • Thanks @JWatt5 and @szwill86 I'll be searching on Amazon 
  • lewlivlewliv member
    edited July 2017
    Anyone has a baby monitor they love? I'm thinking about getting the infant optics dxr-8. Does anyone have one? Pros? Cons?
  • @lewliv that's exactly what we got after our friends suggested it. DH and I would watch their kids all the time so have experience with it and loved it. Apparently there can be some issues with battery life, but the customer service is supposed to be amazing and will replace things.
  • lewliv said:
    Anyone has a baby monitor they love? I'm thinking about getting the infant optics dxr-8. Does anyone have one? Pros? Cons?
    We have a Summer Infant video monitor. It was fairly inexpensive but we've used it for over a year and it's worked for us. You can add multiple cameras which is what we will do. Didn't buy one initially but if you have a baby that is a light sleeper, a video monitor is a great buy.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • @livlew that is the one we have on our list and my DH is a super-tech type guy so I left that up to him and he did a lot of research etc and knows what all the weird info means and approves.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss