February 2016 Moms

Talking?

jarob747jarob747 member
edited March 2017 in February 2016 Moms
Anyone else have a LO who isnt saying any real words yet? Mine is almost 13 months on the 11th and says mama rarely, dadda to lots of people and things but definitely always to daddy and looks for him when he says it. He listens great, hears great and understands as much as I'd expect him to. I'm just concerned with him not speaking more. Should I be? His pediatrician wasnt at all, but ya know... I am cause I read of so many others talking regularly and lots of words. What's yours doing?

Re: Talking?

• My LO is pretty much the same; Mama and Dada and occasionally "ditty" instead of "kitty". She definitely seems to understand more than she's saying though. 
  • I was wondering about this also cause my LO is the same way. All he pretty much says is mama and dada sometimes. The rest is just babble and no real words. But he definitely seems to understand more than what he says.
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh this is good to hear :) 
  • I don't think you have too much to worry about at this point. All kids talk at their own pace. .

My first and third kids were very early talkers, and my second was very slow to start talking, but once he started he talks non-stop. Caleb, my littlest, says quite a few words and a few names, but nothing consistent (other than momma and dada). It's mostly just babbling.

Our family doctor told me after my second was born to try not to compare the kids because they are all going to be so different.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My LO babbles, and sometimes the babbling includes things that maybe could be words, but probably not. He says "mama" and "dada" and "yeah" pretty clearly, but not in the right context. It honestly still sounds like he's just experimenting with sounds.

The impression I got from the pediatrician is that as long as they're babbling and seem to understand/react to some of what you say, you're golden. So for example, if I say "where's the kitty cat?" LO starts looking around for a cat. If I say "Look!" he looks to where I'm pointing.
  • smn14smn14 member
    My LO says 'ta' for thank you and that's it! She constantly babbles, using adult facial expressions, tone of voice, hand gestures and laughs on cue as if she is having a full blown conversation! But just her own version of words at the moment. I'm not worried as most of her friends are in the same boat. She says mama and dada a lot, but rarely in context. 
  • My first two kids were saying maybe 3-6words at this point but liam talks ALOT  .They definitely all develop at their own rate.my oldest was an early walker but liam only takes a few steps on his own.my other to were pointing by now but liam uses his eyes to point instead of fingers.I wouldn't be worried at all.especially if they seem to understand more than they say!!!
  • Thanks for the input everybody! It definitely reassures me that my little Jacob is just fine :-) he was walking really good on his own by 10 and a half months he points and waves goodbye and hello he will Say mmm when he's eating something that he likes, drinks from a sippy cup great, uses a spoon and fork pretty good, climbs, laughs, is super silly and otherwise don't concern me so I'll take it :) 
  • Ok so here we are at 17  months and still no talking. He still says mama rarely and dadda all the time. He mumbles and jabbers and screams like crazy. He seriously understands just about everything. He has not had repeat ear infections so I'm not really concerned with him not hearing I don't think. He seems to hear excellent. Just not talking yet. Is this ok? At 16 month check up his pediatrician still wasn't concerned, but I'm really getting there.
  • I would say if your pediatrician isn't concerned yet you probably don't need to worry at this point.

I definitely understand your worry though. My second didn't really start talking much until he was almost 2 and he also never had problems with ear infections, etc. He was slow to start talking but now he is right where he should be. He gets speech therapy in school but that was due to other issues (late diagnosis of a tongue-tie that we had to clip).

• My LO is the same. She understands what we say, can point to her body parts, makes several animal noises, but Mama, Dada, dog and cat or kitty are her only words. We have had good luck with signing.
  • smn14smn14 member
    My LO still only says cat, hello (bye bye has vanished and has been replaced by hello!), uh oh, woof. Never had a mamma or daddy! She understands tonnes tho and follows commands well. I'm not worried. She says same or more than her friends the same age!