November 2017 Moms
Options

Gender Dissappointment

Re: Gender Dissappointment

• Options
    @ShePersisted thank you <3 its been two years now, but still so hard. I keep putting off my appointment and rescheduling because I know they want the scan done and I'm honestly afraid :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @c+mpeachey I'm so sorry for all your thoughts and your feelings. It's unbelievably hard to process everything going on at once, I hope you choose to seek help and I hope that it benefits you greatly. ♡ 
  • Options
    @c+mpeachey Hugs. I think it's a really good idea to talk to a professional. And I agree with @ShePersisted. Use your relationship with your mom to know what not to do - that's basically what I do with my relationship with my mom. I try to be everything that she wasn't for me and not degrade my daughter's (or son's) confidence like she did mine. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited June 2017
    @laura3+2 @kyethra @c+mpeachy I have to admit that I cannot understand gender disappointment yet, but you three have very different experiences that have led me to understand more about circumstances that could lead to it. Thank you for shedding light on your situations. I know you'll be great moms to your babies regardless!!
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
  • Options
    @MississippiCatfish oops I read this after I commented on your A/S post. The shock you're feeling is so valid.

• Options
    I am far from being disappointed about my baby's sex since all I care about is that he's healthy and I hope coming in November, but I am disappointed I can't buy bows and flowery dresses. However, I can worry about my own outfits and save college money for him! Haha... Maybe next baby! 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
    Yes to all this  <3
  • Options
    I have found that hanging the new baby clothes up where I have to look at it every day is helping with coming to grips with having a girl. I'm still struggling with the whole concept of "it's a girl". I love my 2 boys, I always wanted boys, I honestly never wanted girls. I feel like I can't talk to my DH about this because of his autism, he simply doesn't understand being disappointed or having trouble processing something as practical and unchangeable as "we are having a girl". His response is "yes, we are having a girl now, what's to be upset about?" I know he wants to help and doesn't know how. He always wanted a little girl, so with our first son he felt about 5 seconds of disappointment, then got on with the practical issues of getting ready for a baby. He's very happy about this little girl and I don't think he can understand why I'm not as thrilled. 

I think part of my problem is that it took so long and so much effort to get our two boys. 12 months for DS1 and 16 months for DS2, charting, temping, timing, peeing on OV sticks and all the rest. With this one it was an accident. We had just decided that we wanted a third, then 4 days later I found out I was already 6 weeks pregnant. To say it was a shock would be an understatement. Then to add on top that to find out at 10 weeks that it is a girl, when I really hadn't even processed that I was actually pregnant I think is just a little much for me emotionally.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was absolutely sure I'd have gender disappointment if we had one over the other but we found out today while I was in the hospital for a reaction to shellfish I was accidentally served and it was the one I thought i would feel sad about. However that epic horrible scare kind of just made me so relieved. That is NOT to say I don't totally feel for you guys facing the disappointment, because I absolutely completely do. I was sure it would be me! Just having such a close call with something going severely horribly kind of dramatically changed it for me.
  • Options
    I felt a twinge of sadness over not ever getting out the baby boy clothes again, but also a sense of relief that we have a solid girl name picked out. 
  • Options
    @ooodalollly it sounds like your husband is just a good dad overall, boy or girl. My husband is also a manly guy, but he doesn't mind when our son plays with dolls or things like that. Sure, when he plays with him they tend to kick balls or do things like that, but he's fine when he wants to do something that isn't considered as boyish.
  • Options
    @TeacherMama7 Thanks. I'm really hoping he can come around to that so that it's not a big deal. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't say I am disappointed we are having a boy, but it took me some adjustment just because I always assumed I would have a girl  (we plan on just one) and girls tend to run in my family. But now that I've readjusted I couldn't imagine not having my boy. But when I first found out I was almost confused lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The whole family was hoping for a girl this time but it's another boy. My husband is actually more upset than I am. I really wanted a girl but I guess I am destined to always be a boy mom. 
  • Options
    kwaldykwaldy member
    I wouldn't say I am disappointed... just shocked. Still adjusting to the idea of having a son. I have no clue where to even start with names, because I wasn't even remotely expecting it. Girls run in DHs family. 

I will admit, there have been times before the anatomy scan that I referred to the baby as "she" or used other female pronouns. I imagined getting out DDs clothes and washing them to re-use with this baby, so my ideas and plans have to change.

I'm thrilled that DH is getting the boy he always wanted, but now I'm stressing how we are going to arrange the nursery and update it's design since DD and LO will be sharing a room - at least for a while. 
  • Options
    Mom's who have experienced disappointment and then come our of it, how long did it take you? It's only been two days, and I'm feeling slightly better today than the days before, but I'm just curious to hear personal experiences. I would so love to embrace this prior to baby's arrival. I know that I will eat her up once she's here, but I would love to have that excited feeling back during the pregnancy if I can:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @MississippiCatfish I'd say it took me a week or two, what really helped was picking a name and using it often, using pronouns as much as possible, and really just getting used to the idea of it being a "him" I had myself so convinced it was a girl that I needed to bond with him as a boy. He almost felt like a stranger. I bought a few items of clothing, that helped too. 
  • Options
     Ooo @MississippiCatfish go baby girl clothes shopping! The stuff is all so cute maybe it'll help! And she'll be a little mini me to get your nails done with and help with prom and a wedding! Or she'll be a super tomboy with her three big brothers and he so cute! Or both! I hope im helping. But also i hope you take your time with getting used to it all :)

• Options
    av2323av2323 member
    @MississippiCatfish Mine wasn't so much disappointment as fear of the unknown.  It took me a little while but once I started the nursery and bought a couple of cute dresses I got right on over it.  
  • Options
    @MississippiCatfish I am not sure if I would say I was disappointed or confused...but either way it took me maybe a week or so to come around. I did what @DuchessOfCambridge suggested and went baby boy clothes shopping for a few little things with DH, that got me excited. We also settled on a name pretty quickly which helped me "bond" I guess. I just never expected to have a boy so it was more of a shock I guess.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We just found out we are having a girl. I think I am in a little bit if a dazed state. I really wanted a boy, but at this point I just want a healthy baby. We got some not great, but not super alarming news (post in PGAL) during our anatomy scan and it's a waiting game.

We did a little gender reveal with cupcakes and I think our parents were more excited than us. I know we will love our baby and get excited with time, but still letting it sink in. 
  • Options
    @MississippiCatfish took me a week or two. I use male pronouns and got boy clothes which helped but what helped the most was having my friend bring over her infant son. Im surrounded my toddler girls all the time and theyre just so cute, but being near a baby boy just made me remember that i love boys too. 
  • Options
    I found out I am having my 3rd boy and this is my last baby so no chance of ever getting my baby girl. To say I'm disappoint is the biggest understatement of all time. I'm a huge girly girl and just wanted to have someone that I could share the things I love with-getting hair done, nails done, going shopping etc... and all I can think of are these major events in a girls life that I will never get to experience like helping her get ready for prom or helping her prepare for her wedding or getting to be in the room when she has her babies. I'm crying just typing this. Then I look on the internet for some kind of article to make me feel better and I come across a saying that I've never heard before and crushes me completely "a son is your son until he finds his wife but a daughter is your daughter for the rest of your life" which I'm finding to ring true because I have three brothers and a sister. My brothers all have kind of drifted away since finding their SO and my sister and I are still so close with my mom regardless. I love my boys to death but I'm just not a trucks and mud and bugs and superheroes type of person. I just wanted to buy baby dolls and dress up clothes for someone. Now part of me wants to try one more time but I've always said I would never have more than 3 and I don't think my SO wants anymore and part of me thinks I would be the one who ends up with a fourth boy. I've miscarried once and part of me thinks that was my girl and I lost her. Some days I'm fine but some days I'm very emotional still but I know I'll get through it. Sometimes my SO almost makes me feel crappy about being so upset to so then I feel like a bad mom on top of it all. Hopefully time will help. I know once this baby boy is in my arms it won't matter anymore but until then it's going to be hard to be excited. I don't even get to shop for new baby stuff because I already have everything. Ugh no matter what I do I can't be positive some days. End rant I guess
  • Options
    @MamaMJ2 don't let anyone make you feel bad. Most of how I feel on this subject has already been said before. You had dreams of having a girl, doesn't mean you won't be happy being a mom of boys.  My aunt has 2 boys, always wanted a girl to do nails with so she would end up "stealing" her son's girlfriends and going to get their nails done. My aunt was a tomboy and pageant contestant growing up so she was just fine being a boy mom.  
    I'm happy to be having a boy but seeing the girl clothes makes me sad and the Tula I wanted is super girly. I'll get used to having a boy, I do have a DD, it's just all different. 
  • Options
    @MamaMJ2  Hugs.  There is so little that you can do to control these initial, gut reaction feelings.  And SO much guilt associated with these feelings.  I'm so sorry for your loss through miscarriage, and the loss of the dream of having a little girl, what your family would look like with her, and the kind of mom you would be if you had her. For myself, I feel like having children of a different gender than expected and hoped for is going to force me into a different life than I wanted, and becoming a different kind of mom than I wanted to be.  I feel like who *I AM* changed in an instant, in a way I didn't want, without my permission.  All of the sudden this new bucket of expectations is upon me, and I still don't want to meet them.  Like you said, eventually it will all be okay, but I'm hoping that it's sooner than later for you (and me). :)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @MamaMJ2 I don't know if this helps but my neighbor had 4 boys, waited 5 years, tried for a girl and got a 5th boy. I remember her crying. Now 4 of the 5 are married and the last one is in high school. She has awesome DIL (her words) and more grand daughters than sons! So she eventually got her girls!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers