Breastfeeding
Options

Early Birth, Low Bloodsugar, Bottles to Breast

edited July 2017 in Breastfeeding
I have admittedly never read or participated on this board before so I'm not sure of any rules on posting, so sorry in advance if this is frowned upon.

My LO was born via c-section at 37+2 after I labored on Pitocin for 36 hours and was unsuccessful in a vaginal birth. I'm a Type 1 Diabetic and her blood sugar was low at birth, and the 24 hours following. My milk didn't come in until 5 days postpartum so she received many bottles over that time. She now refuses to latch on the breast. I have large breast and flat nipples and I feel like this is a major contributing factor to her not latching.

I've attended one breastfeeding support group but they don't meet again until Thursday due to the holiday. DH wants me to set up an appt with a LC but again, they are closed due to the holiday.

I'm struggling with how to transition from bottle to breast if she won't latch. She screams bloody murder until I can't take it anymore and give her a bottle. I'm pumping throughout the day but I'm also worried my supply can't keep up. How long can I go withholding a bottle during the day while attempting to breastfeed? Has anyone else experienced something similar? Were you eventually successful in BF or did you give up at stick with bottles? Any other advice?

Pregnancy was very difficult, birth was complicated and hard, and now breastfeeding is nearly impossible...it all makes me feel so defeated and like I'm a bad mom  :'(

*Edit for clarity

Re: Early Birth, Low Bloodsugar, Bottles to Breast

• Options
    I have admittedly never read or participated on this board before so I'm not sure of any rules on posting, so sorry in advance if this is frowned upon.

My LO was born via c-section at 37+2 after I labored on Pitocin for 36 hours and was unsuccessful in a vaginal birth. I'm a Type 1 Diabetic and her blood sugar was low at birth, and the 24 hours following. My milk didn't come in until 5 days postpartum so she received many bottles over that time. She now refuses to latch on the breast. I have large breast and flat nipples and I feel like this is a major contributing factor to her not latching.

I've attended one breastfeeding support group but they don't meet again until Thursday due to the holiday. DH wants me to set up an appt with a LC but again, they are closed due to the holiday.

I'm struggling with how to transition from bottle to breast if she won't latch. She screams bloody murder until I can't take it anymore and give her a bottle. I'm pumping throughout the day but I'm also worried my supply can't keep up. How long can I go withholding a bottle during the day while attempting to breastfeed? Has anyone else experienced something similar? Were you eventually successful in BF or did you give up at stick with bottles? Any other advice?

Pregnancy was very difficult, birth was complicated and hard, and now breastfeeding is nearly impossible...it all makes me feel so defeated and like I'm a bad mom  :'(

*Edit for clarity
    I'm sorry you're dealing with all this after a hard pregnancy and delivery. I'd suggest pumping for a minute or two before feeding and try to start feeding before she starts crying from hunger.This should help your nipples stand up and your milk be at the ready so when baby latches on she won't get impatient waiting for the milk to come (bottles are instantaneous).

As for how long before giving a bottle, that's something you and your pediatrician should decide. Hopefully after the holiday weekend you can get the support you need from your support group and LC. It sounds like your husband is being supportive as well. And as long as baby is getting fed, whether by bottle or breast you are doing a fantastic job as a mom.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    First, you are not a bad mom!! You are having a difficult set of circumstances.

As @meggyme said, try pumping for a minute or two so that your milk is more readily available and your nipples are not so flat.

I also want to say that even though it is hard, try to relax. Get in a comfortable position, grab your boppy and then have your DH hand you the baby. Try to be relaxed and confident and calm. I always found that the more relaxed mom is, the more relaxed baby will be.

And do lots of skin to skin, baby may even wind up trying to match herself.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20