February 2018 Moms
Options

Ultrasound - yolk sac, no fetal pole yet

gigglesbgigglesb member
edited July 2017 in February 2018 Moms
Hi ladies. I may sound like a new Mom, but I'm not. I've never had an early ultrasound though. I had one at 5weeks 3days last week.

I had a gastational sac (semi - heart shaped) :) & a yolk sac, but no baby yet. I was feeling good still, thinking I'm just early. My Doc said it could go either way. It may not be a viable pregnancy, it may be.

We won't know until next weeks ultrasound. We're praying for a baby & maybe even a heartbeat!

Has anyone else experienced this?

TIA! 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ultrasound - yolk sac, no fetal pole yet

• Options
    I haven't, but it's not at all unheard of that early on! Don't stress yet, mama. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    gigglesbgigglesb member
    edited July 2017
    Ps, My hcg levels were 20,000 then only rose to 29,000 40 hrs later. They said "that's not what they expected." I thought it didn't have to double after it hit 20,000.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    meatballs37meatballs37 member
    edited July 2017
    As belhurtbride mentioned, it's early, no need to stress yet. But you may want to change the title of your post, the "no baby" part made me think this was a loss post. Wishing you luck at your next appointment. 

ETA: you probably should remove your ultrasound photo as it has all of your personal information on it. 
  • Options
    Thank you and thank you! Just did. :)
  • Options
    Ps, My hcg levels were 20,000 then only rose to 29,000 40 hrs later. They said "that's not what they expected." I thought it didn't have to double after it hit 20,000.
    I'm no expert but those betas seem fine....but I've never had betas that high.
    At 5w3 mine were 8091 & 5w5d 14244

But my previous pregnancy went from a whopping 23 to 58 within a 2-3 week period.*TW ( MC at 8 weeks)*
  • Options
    noodles15noodles15 member
    edited July 2017
    It is still early. Were you charting? Any chance you ovulated late? I will keep you in my thoughts and hope to see a positive update next week! 
    SAHM to 3 kids- DD 8, DS 3, DS 1. Expecting one more!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have not, but I wanted to wish you luck going forward. I hope this week goes quickly for you and that you get positive results at your next ultrasound. 
  • Options
    I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks (top pic) and it was just the gestational sac.  At 7 weeks (bottom pic) we saw the baby and a heartbeat.  I know it's hard but I wouldn't worry yet.  Hope you get the same outcome!

• Options
    Fingers crossed for you!! My first pregnancy was gestational sack and nothing else at 8 weeks & the week after. Had a healthy beautiful baby and now going through his again. Hoping we are both just earlier than we thought! Unfortunately it's my understanding this is a very common thing. Prayers  <3
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Options
    I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks (top pic) and it was just the gestational sac.  At 7 weeks (bottom pic) we saw the baby and a heartbeat.  I know it's hard but I wouldn't worry yet.  Hope you get the same outcome!

This was us too... 4 days later saw baby and heart beat.
  • Options
    I'm hoping for a positive update for you! When is your next US? We had one 6/29 (Thurs) and could just see gestational sac. Dr said if I was only around 5 weeks, that would be pretty normal. Did two sets of labs and they liked how the numbers look, but I have to wait until Friday to do another US. The wait sucks! 
  • Options
    I hope you get good news. I know the wait must be agonizing! Thinking of you. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going through the same situation. I had an ultrasound because they thought it was possibly an ectopic pregnancy but they found a gestational sac and i was supposed to be 6 weeks along. (At least it's not ectopic!) They said i may have just ovulated late and have ankther ultrasound scheduled for Friday but in the meantime they have me doing blood tests every couple days and they say my hormones are rising but they dont give me exact numbers?? Should I be concerned?
  • Options
    @abilikewoahh I would call and ask if the numbers are doubling every 48 hrs. 
  • Options
    I am in shock at all these places that won't tell you the results of your bloodwork!  Is this the lab (they usually won't) or your doctor?  As some other ladies have suggested, I would definitely call the doctor and ask for your numbers.  

At my 6 week ultrasound, the tech told me before she started that we would not see anything except the gestational sac and that was completely normal for that stage. Hope to see positive updates from all of you!
  • Options
    Chawk17Chawk17 member
    edited July 2017
    I'm going through the same situation. I had an ultrasound because they thought it was possibly an ectopic pregnancy but they found a gestational sac and i was supposed to be 6 weeks along. (At least it's not ectopic!) They said i may have just ovulated late and have ankther ultrasound scheduled for Friday but in the meantime they have me doing blood tests every couple days and they say my hormones are rising but they dont give me exact numbers?? Should I be concerned?
    My Dr never tells me my numbers. You can go to the lab office and ask for your reports. I do that EVERYTIME I get labs now. They are yours:) if it's your betas they have reports ready the next day. You just need ID.
    Don't be afraid to take charge of your medical information.
  • Options
    Chawk17Chawk17 member
    edited July 2017
    @abilikewoahh and not to scare you but *tw* my last pregnancy I got betas at week 5 and 6 they were rising but Dr wouldn't say anything, wouldnt give me any info. Thats when i started taking charge and getting labs myself. week 7 dr called me and DH in for a conversation ( baby only had 10% chance of survival....we MC 8w0d).  Betas rose from 23-58 in that time span.  Fortunately, because I took ownership of my labs we had an idea of the outcome so we weren't completely blindsided. I think that shocked the Dr.**
    Just be aware of your rights to your results. 
    Sometimes I think the Drs. Dont tell all the facts because they don't want you to worry....but not knowing causes much more worry IMO.
    Good luck and keep us updated.
  • Options
    Agreeing with above posters, don't be afraid to ask for your tests and results and do your homework. This is how I ended up leaving my old OB and finding my new one that I love and trust, because my old office was not straightforward and put me through a lot of grief when I went through losses. They assumed I didn't know anything and would just accept what they did and said, but since they gave me so little information I did lots of my own research and realized how little info I was being given. I'm still mad about it, years later. And now I am much more proactive about asking questions and getting answers and doing research to understand what it happening so I'm not just blindsided when things happen. Plus now I have an OB who is a straight shooter and is super proactive about testing and giving me results right away. She even called me over the weekend just to check in and make sure I was still nauseous since we were waiting for today's ultrasound to confirm viability. Sorry for the long post, but I just feel so strongly about being your own advocate when it comes to this stuff. I've been through the gauntlet with pregnancies and it makes such a difference to have good providers and honesty from those people!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow!