High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

First pregnancy with PCOS (progesterone question)

ninji15ninji15 member
edited November 2015 in High-Risk Pregnancy
Hey all! 

So I got pregnant with Metformin and if I had to guess I am about 4-5 weeks. I have had light spotting and cramps. I have been BEGGING my doctor to check my progesterone levels and they won't do it. They told me since I am pregnant my progesterone must be fine. I hung up and started bawling (hormones?). There are very,very few doctors in my area and none that seem to know anything about PCOS. I can't convince anyone to check my levels, not even for piece of mind for me.  I feel like no one will take me seriously until I miscarry 2+ times. I want to get myself checked so badly, and even if I find a way they won't take it into account. (They treated me like an idiot for using basal temperature before, said it doesn't mean anything). Is there nothing I can do aside from driving 5 hours to find someone to listen to me?

Re: First pregnancy with PCOS (progesterone question)

• Options
    Hello- I am a pregnant PCOSer. I have been on and off metformin for 15 yrs. I had low progesterone with my son so this time around when I got my BFP at 10dpo, I called and requested labs. My doc had no problem taking labs and I was put on progesterone again for this pregnancy. 

A doctor should listen to your concerns and check your labs if you request it. I would be incredibly pissed if they said "your progesterone is prob fine since you are pregnant." That is just flat out bullshit. I would call your GP and request labs or find a new OB. I have ditched many OBs because they are inconsiderate, lack knowledge or otherwise. Advocate for yourself and get what you want!
  • Options
    ninji15ninji15 member
    edited November 2015
    Thanks, I plan to walk in and talk to them face to face. If no one will help me a different OB it is.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have PCOS I'm currently 9wks along.
    When I was early on i think  5-6 wks I called the dr and told her I was pregnant. 
    The first thing she requested that I come in for labs . Progesterone , beta , and estrogen.

I had some bleeding early on and 
    When my results came back my progesterone was low. And I was spotting every few days at that point. 

Im currently taking 100 mg of progesterone a day and my levels are now perfect. No more spotting .

i would request again and tell the dr if she /he knows anything about PCOS. It's lacking progesterone and estrogen wth a dominance of testosterone .
    you can get pregnant with anything over a level 7 progesterone.

But most women will not be able to grow the uterine lining and placenta unless the progesterone is above a 10 at 5 weeks and the further along you get your body is supposed to produce more progesterone as to thicken the uterine lining and grow the placenta. 

This is what has been said to me. 

I would find another dr who addresses your concerns and who is knowledgeable in PCOS , if your dr doesn't want to do blood work after asking again.

Good luck to you! ❤️

• Options
    I just realized the date of this was November 2015. :/
    whoops!
    i hope all is well and you've gotten everything straitened out.
  • Options
    @Cassandraspregnacy2 Your reply was very helpful to read, a friend is currently going through this with PCOS. I passed on your feedback re: progesterone to her.
  • Options
    I am now 20weeks, so its going well. Thank you for your reply!! I appreciate them all. :smile: 
  • Options
    I just found out today that I'm pregnant - what do I need to do now ? I have told my husband . I do suffer from PCOS , I'm so scared any advice as to what to do as a first port of call 
  • Options
    Congratulations!  I would talk to your OBGYN.  There is medication you can take.  It is important to get the bloodwork done.  I recently found out I was pregnant and I am currently take progesterone supplements to help. 
  • Options
    ashcleyashcley member
    edited April 2016
  • Options
    I checked my own levels and proved they were low then got the prescription. It's a shame I had to do it that way but it worked and I still go just to check my hcg for peace of mind. I use walkinlabs, order the tests online then find the nearest LabCorp near me and go. Best wishes