September 2017 Moms

Car Seats!

We all know how important car seats are; in fact, having one is a requirement upon being discharged from the hospital.  Use this thread to ask questions about car seats (I have one; see below).

Re: Car Seats!

• I am unclear on when to use the base of a car seat.  Do you need to have the base in order to use a car seat properly in a car, or is using it up to you?  What's best?  I'm already anticipating confusion surrounding installing the car seat in the car, so it's best to figure as much out now!  (We have the Uppababy Mesa.)
  • The car seat base is used for an infant carrier car seat. The base stays in the car, and the infant carrier clicks into the base or the stroller.
  • Loading the player...
  • To add to @heatherlynn321's reply, you CAN install the car seat without the base, but it defeats the purpose of the convenience of being able to take it in/out. 
  • margareth said:
    I am unclear on when to use the base of a car seat.  Do you need to have the base in order to use a car seat properly in a car, or is using it up to you?  What's best?  I'm already anticipating confusion surrounding installing the car seat in the car, so it's best to figure as much out now!  (We have the Uppababy Mesa.)
    Leave the base installed in the car you intend to use the most with baby. It's super easy to click car seat in and out without having to use the seat belt each and every time. If you have to put baby's car seat in another car, then you can secure it with a seat belt - but do this once and you'll realize how much of a PITA it can be and you'll be thankful you have the car seat base
  • Ah, that's the thing... we don't have a car.  We live in NYC.  So I don't know how much we'll be using the base...
  • @margareth do you use taxis a lot?  I have absolutely zero experience with this, as I have my own car, but if you use taxis or Uber a lot, you'll still need a car seat base.  They're pretty easy to install and remove, though.  I have no idea how it would work for trains or subways- I'm assuming you'd mostly be doing baby wearing at that point.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @ColoradoHiker yeah the bulk of the time I'll be taking NYC public transportation, which means either using a baby carrier or stroller. Taxis and Uber not so much... so the only time I can imagine taking a car in the near future would be coming back from the hospital... and then in the suburbs with my parents at some point. Question: Why would a base be necessary for a taxi or Uber -- wouldn't the car seat alone work, or is that not as safe? 
  • @margareth didn't realize you'd be using public transportation and not have a car. In that case, no base needed! You just use a seat belt in any car to put it through the seat belt guides on the car seat and you're good to go. Taking a base while on the go would be cumbersome as they, plus your car seat, would be bulky and heavy. 
  • Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    edited July 2017
    @margareth Make sure the carseat you get is certified to be used without the base and with seat belts only! 

ETA: jk I see you have the uppa baby mesa and it IS approved for use with the seat belts.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Good to know -- thanks! Didn't realize some were not certified to be used without the base...
  • BostonBaby1BostonBaby1 member
    edited July 2017
    I would return your seat if it is still in the box and purchase an infant seat with a European Belt Path. I'm also in a city and would always take DS in Uber. We went with the Cybex but the European Belt Path allows for an incredibly secure install without a base (we keep bases in our cars for convenience.) I would recommend that you practice practice practice installation in order to be able to transfer the seat properly and seriously, take your time getting it in. I have never encountered an Uber driver who took issue with me being 100% baby was safe and secure.

*eta- https://thecarseatlady.com/carrier-belt-path-european-vs-american/

https://carseatblog.com/24554/rear-facing-carseats-with-european-beltpath-routing/
  • Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    edited July 2017
    I agree with @BostonBaby1 on this one. This was what I was trying to say but got confused. I had thought there were only a few carseats with this special seat belt pathway and it was most commonly on European carseats. I'm glad she elaborated and explained more about it! From  what I understand, car seats that don't use this pathway are not nearly as safe even though they say they can be used without the base. I just want you to be the most educated about options so you can make the right choice for your baby's safety.

So if going base-less is going to be common for you, I definitely would reconsider carseats :)

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • We got the cybex AtonQ for two reasons: 1.) The base has a load leg which makes it one of the safest car seats on the market while using the base, and 2.) It has the European belt path for when we take cabs or uber.  Also very safe.  The car seat also looks great and fits on our uppababy stroller with a relatively inexpensive adaptor. For living in a city, I think it is a good choice, though as others have mentioned, there are several options these days with the European belt path. 
  • My friend recently recommended this website for car seat information: Car Seats for the Littles. They have reviews and all kinds of tips. I haven't looked at it too closely yet, but probably worth a look!
  • Thanks everyone.  Going to stick with the Mesa, however, since I was totally swayed by what I read on Lucie's List and elsewhere about the ease of the Uppababy Cruz (and compatible Mesa) -- too late to change my mind!  I actually don't even remember the last time I used a cab -- I am going to be walking around and taking public transportation for the most part, anyway.
  • @margareth Make sure the carseat you get is certified to be used without the base and with seat belts only! 

ETA: jk I see you have the uppa baby mesa and it IS approved for use with the seat belts.
    I just read through my mesa booklet and you must have a seatbelt that locks or use the lock feature that comes with the carseat to use it without a base, but yes you can. there are some other instances where you can't use the seatbelt but I think those are mainly older cars. 
  • Why does it have to be so complicated?! :-p ha
  • Lived in Manhattan from DD birth to about 7 months. Hardly ever used taxi (Uber wasn't big back then), but when we did we would either just hold the car seat depending on how far we were going, would take the time to strap her in, or we would hold her in our lap.

Flame away. 

This is from the FAQs on the NYC.gov website:

• What are the rules regarding child safety seats and seatbelts in taxicabs?

Drivers of yellow medallion taxicabs and for-hire vehicles and their passengers, are exempt from laws regarding car seats and seatbelts.  Keep in mind, the TLC encourages everyone in the vehicle to buckle their seatbelts while riding in a cab.  There are no Taxi and Limousine Commission rules regarding this, as it is a State exemption. Passengers with children are encouraged to bring their own car seats, which the drivers must allow passengers to install.
    *NOTE - Children under the age of seven are permitted to sit on an adult's lap.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Good to know! Thanks! 

Yeah I doubt I'll be taking taxis with the LO. But good to be prepared if in a pinch. 
  • Taxis don't require your carseat to be seat belted in?? Did you guys see that traffic camera video where the child fell put of the car in the intersection in their carseat??? Not a taxi, but still. The parent didn't secure the carseat well enough. Just crazy.

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"

• @Sugargirl1019 that scares the crap out of me!  We are working on installing the car seat this evening so we can get it checked out by the fire dept. before we need to use it.  Maybe they can show us how to secure it with the seatbelt as well.  
  • As an adult, I'm not required by law to wear a bike helmet, but I sure do.