August 2017 Moms

FFFC 6/30

It's another Friday, that means new flame free-ish confessions.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: FFFC 6/30

• Loading the player...
  • The stack of urine collection cups and sharpie to write our names with grosses me out every time I see them. My mind always goes crazy thinking of how much urine is potential on that sharpie (I always write my name on the cup first). 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump luckily our nurses write our names on the cup (with their gloves on) for us. But if I open the little collection box and there's someone else's cup in there just sitting... gross!
  • EmyB30EmyB30 member
    Is this when you girls have to pee before your appointments? We have bathrooms attached to our exam rooms and we just pee in a little plastic cup and then the nurse comes and checks it.
    One appointment I couldn't hold it waiting to be called back and had to pee in the waiting room restroom. I had to pee in a cup and put it in a brown paper bag and keep it with me until I was called back. Felt kind of awkward carrying a brown paper sack..with pee in it...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @EmyB30 yes, I pee in a cup at every appointment. We can go to the bathroom and leave our samples at any time after we check in and up to our appointment. No carrying around a bag with piss in it here. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• EmyB30EmyB30 member
    @bumpybump I don't have carry the bag of piss with me every time thankfully!!! Just if I have to go before I get called back to the room. I always feels bad after I pee in the cup because 8 out of 10 times I miss. I always wipe off the sides of the cup before leaving the bathroom.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @bumpybump  At my office the print off a sticker for us to put on there.  I guess that way there is no mistaking who's cup it is.

My FFFC is I am so bad at peeing in that cup.  I never had this problem with DS but this time around I either can't get enough pee out or I pee like a sprinkler and can't get catch enough.  I guess they don't need very much because the nurses have not said anything.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • +1 to what @shyviolet does!  My office prints off labels and puts them on for us, and they give us extra wipes to wipe the cup off with after! 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • my office does the sticker and then in the bathrooms there is a little like cubby door in the wall and you open that, put you cup in, and the other side has a door to the lab so no carrying it around or pee cups all over.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Our bathrooms are like yours @smallbutmighty77. It grosses me out when I open the box on the wall in the bathroom and someone's pee is sitting in it.  :s our nurses write our name on the cup before sending us in. One time they just wrote "Sarah" on my cup (you know bc it's such an original name) and got my pee mixed up with a woman who went just before me... also named Sarah. They were drilling me about having high sugar in my urine and later realized their mistake.
  • @Nxy definitely envy that! I'm especially feeling exhausted today. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I think it's weird to kiss anyone on the mouth that's not your SO. Especially kids. It's an intimate thing. DS has been trying to kiss me on the mouth lately and I don't know why. 

And yes, I realize I'm posting this after admitting to making out with a stranger. 
  •  I grew up kissing my mom and dad good night. The kisses stopped probably when I hit elementary school at the latest. I don't even think of my family as particularly affectionate. I guess it's a family culture thing. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @SpotConlon we're affectionate, I have no problem with kissing, just not on the mouth. Especially babies and small children who have compromised immune systems. I don't know if you have a cold sore or if you've been sick.  It especially makes me mad when people bring germs around my new born. When DS was 5 weeks old, MIL got a bad respiratory infection, FIL didn't have symptoms and showed up at our house unannounced. DS was sick within a couple days and had to be swabbed nasally for pertussis. 

I feel like the majority of people don't understand how germs work. Pregnant women, babies, and elderly people are more susceptible to getting sick and just because you don't feel bad or "that bad", it's best to err on the side of caution and stay away. 
  • JWatt5JWatt5 member
    @bumpybump - we have to pee in a Dixie cup and bring it out to the nurse lol. I'm waiting to trip and dump it on something or myself. She just tests, dumps the sample and tosses the cup. 

Mine is I have a money stash in the house that DH doesn't know about/know where it is. Any Birthday, Christmas, random cash I get my hands on I put it in there. Like when we saved money on the carpet install cause I paid cash and I put the difference in my stash. Hehe I could put it in my own bank account but for some reason I just like having the cash there, feels like more of a treat to grab what I think I need and go buy something - I bought a Boba baby wrap today with some of it. :) Sometimes I get DH something with it. It's probably the only "secret I have" from DH. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• I kiss my 3 year old almost 4 year old on the mouth. I just don't find it odd whilst he's still little. 
  • I don't find it odd when parents kiss their little kids on the mouth, I remember kissing my parents goodnight on the mouth when I was very young but don't remember when it stopped- maybe early elementary school? But extended family members and beyond are a nope for a multitude of reasons. And most of them are about transmitting gross ass germs to a wee baby. I'm breezy about germs for myself normally when not pregnant but this flu season I practically cocooned myself at home. Which is why there are a few rule I'm instituting from day one before the baby gets his shots and immunization abilities up to speed.

1- Hands must be washed when before handling the baby. I don't care if you just used hand sanitizer or "your hands are clean" get your ass to the sink and wash your hands with soap.

2- No kissing his face or hands. I have a friend who has a herpes strain virus from her aunt kissing her on the mouth area as a baby because Aunt "didn't realize" she was on the start of a herpes breakout. My friend is still pissed about it 30 years later.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I totally kiss DD on the mouth and she does the same. I don't find it odd at all for parents to do so with their children when young. Realize they are also probably seeing you and DH do it and are learning it's a way to show love. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I guess I shouldn't say gross, just not my style. It  makes it difficult to say it's ok for mommy and daddy to do this, but no one else. I also have been getting anxious knowing he's at the age where he notices body parts and how to tell him who it's ok for them to change his diaper or take him potty since we both have large families 
  • AbbeyHAbbeyH member
    We are a cheek kissing family. I'm with you @SouthernMama15 , I don't think it's gross it's just not for us.

My FFFC is that I got mad at my 2.5 year old for acting like a 2.5 year old. I blame the hormones. 
  • The pee cup conversation is kind of baffling me. Do you guys have to pee in a cup before every appointment? Is it for protein? My midwife just keeps a tube of the test strips with an indicator chart in the bathroom. When you turn up, go to the bathroom and pee on the little strip. If it turns green and yellow (glucode and protein) all good. Just throw it in the bin. If it turns a different color, tell her what color it went. No pee cups. Or pee handling. Or pee outside of the toilet. 
  • Yup. Each appointment starts with a bathroom trip where you write your name on a small test tube, pee in a disposable cup, pour pee into said test tube (throwing out cup) and then put pee tube in a special holder thingy that is in a two way cabinet.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @clairemwalker there seems to be lots of variations of how practices collect the urine samples. But, yes, that is what we are talking about. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Right. Its quite interesting seeing the different ways that things get done. I am glad i dont have to deal with pee cups and test tubes though
  • tova24tova24 member
    I only have to pee in my plastic cup 5 more times if Landon comes at 40 weeks! 
  • I've definitely started using the "pregnancy card" at work to get out of things. My direct supervisor doesn't have/never wants kids and somehow she has no clue what pregnancy can be like so I can get away with a lot. I usually only do it if it will make a specific coworker I don't like have to do something. 
  • OTmom3OTmom3 member
    I come from a big Italian family and for whatever reason I feel like we often kiss each other on the lips. As I've become an adult I kiss them more like right between the lips and cheek. But yeah I totally grew up kissing my mom and even grandparents on the lips! I definitely kiss my kids on the lips.
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• To chime in on the kids kissing thing my mom and I always did Eskimo kisses. It was something special just she and I did. I could see me doing it with my baby. 
  • AbbeyHAbbeyH member
    @cmmiller531 we do Eskimo kisses too. 
  • @cnmiller88 yes to Eskimo kisses! I do them with DS, like our parents did. DS has the most precious button nose 
  • EmyB30EmyB30 member
    We do kisses on the mouth as well. I just followed DS lead. He started kissing on the mouth I'm like whatever. It doesn't happen often as he's more of a hug type.
    I thought this practice was gross before I was mom, I thought I'll never kiss my kid on the mouth. Now it doesn't bother me. Not sure when we'll stop doing that, probably I'd say 1st grade or so!
    Pregnancy Ticker