March 2018 Moms
Options

Fitness Friday 6/30

I noticed a lot of STMs mentioned hopes of staying more active this time around, so hopefully this will be a good weekly post to keep us all motivated! Checking in! How are things going? What do you do now to stay active? What is your plan this week? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Fitness Friday 6/30

• Options
    I ran until 37 weeks with my first and 33w4d with my second -- it definitely got a bit trickier with the second-- and I use the term "ran" loosely. Regarldess of my turtle-like pace, it felt as fast as my pregnant self could go! I regularly do resistance training and cardio, and I am currently in the final weeks of training for a triathlon. I'm a little on the fence about doing it because I don't know yet what the heat will be like, but I have no intention of pushing it if it is even remotely in question. My doctor has been on board with my active endeavors thus far, and she is in full support of this triathlon. I trust that I will make the right decision on go day!

Today I have a 5-6 mile run outside with the early sun. I noticed yesterday that my "sprint" didn't feel very "sprinty" so I am hoping to keep a decent pace through the next month or so before I slow down.
    Tomorrow is a training brick, which just means that I do two components of the triathlon in one session--bike and run. 
    Sunday is my day of rest!
    Monday: run in the morning, swim in the evening
    Tuesday: upper body resistance training
    Wednesday: leg day and swim in the morning
    Thursday: upper body resistance training
    Friday: run

If anyone has any at-home programs they like, I'd love to hear about them. I go to the gym for mine, but it's nice to know what others do so I can mix it up sometimes!!

• Options
    I'm still not cleared to exercise yet, but the hopes are to stay more motivated. Right now I take a 1.5-3 mile walk daily, and very light yoga. 

As as soon as I'm cleared I will hopefully get back to swimming daily, and more intensive yoga. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @LiveNLove44 wow, good for you!!! I am still breastfeeding my first and can hardly keep up with the calories as it is so I never exercise anymore. I do go on lots of walks and want to keep doing that to stay in some type of shape. I am thin but am not toned at all anymore! 
  • Options
    Dang @LiveNLove44 that's awesome! I hope you get to run as long with this one :) 

I started doing Crossfit and HIIT work outs when I was 12w postpartum (about 10 months ago). I used to weight lift and do cardio in the gym, but I LOVE going to classes and feel way more motivated. The workout group I'm in now is all women and it's very empowering. We do TRX training on Monday, HIIT on Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat and yoga Thursday. I try to go 5 days a week at 5 or 6 am, but sometimes my 1 yo makes that difficult! I am hoping to be able to keep this up as long as possible. I can modify a lot as I get bigger and the coaches, who are all moms themselves, can help me find different exercises to do. 

I woke up to go to the 5am class today but MS took over and I am back in bed trying not to throw up! I also have Beachbody on Demand so I can do in home workouts if I don't go to my class. I think I'll end up doing that today! It's nice to have a back up plan if life gets in the way :smile:
  • Options
    I feel so inspired just reading you ladies' plans! I'd just started getting back into running a month ago, so I might do some 1-2 mile jogs a few times a week until I can't but I'm hoping to focus on some strength training this time around...squats, pilates. I had really bad diastis recti and pelvic floor issues after my ds so I'd like to try to keep up with routines that help me avoid those or at least be able to start recitfying them comfortably when this lo comes out :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I plan to continue doing barre and yoga. I did both through my second pregnancy and loved it.
  • Options
    @heatherdubrow Ooh, I love barre.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    arhodes6 said:
    Dang @LiveNLove44 that's awesome! I hope you get to run as long with this one :) 

I started doing Crossfit and HIIT work outs when I was 12w postpartum (about 10 months ago). I used to weight lift and do cardio in the gym, but I LOVE going to classes and feel way more motivated. The workout group I'm in now is all women and it's very empowering. We do TRX training on Monday, HIIT on Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat and yoga Thursday. I try to go 5 days a week at 5 or 6 am, but sometimes my 1 yo makes that difficult! I am hoping to be able to keep this up as long as possible. I can modify a lot as I get bigger and the coaches, who are all moms themselves, can help me find different exercises to do. 

I woke up to go to the 5am class today but MS took over and I am back in bed trying not to throw up! I also have Beachbody on Demand so I can do in home workouts if I don't go to my class. I think I'll end up doing that today! It's nice to have a back up plan if life gets in the way :smile:
    @arhodes6, we have a similar schedule! I do mornings, too. It's my "me" time before everyone else wakes up. It sounds like you have an awesome mix of workouts to keep it interesting! What kind of HIIT do you do? I used to do more HIIT running before I dealt with a knee injury this past fall and winter, and I'd like to do more (even if it's "moderate" rather than "high"). Is it a resistance training HIIT?

P.S. sorry about the MS! What a buzz kill :neutral:

• Options
    @heatherdubrow I've always wanted to try barre!!! Is it too intense to start now that I'm already pregnant?
    @Everycol0r just literally snort laughed at the running from a moose comment... that's the extent of my running too. Wish I liked it but I hate it.
  • Options
    @scoogy19 you could always try a class and see how you feel! It's a lot of squats and lunges which are great for when labor comes around. Just modify it to your comfort. The instructors are usually really good about helping you modify.
  • Options
    @LiveNLove44 I have to workout in the morning or I don't do it. And my workouts keep me sane! If I go at 5 I get to have almost an hour to myself before DS gets up so that's what I aim for. My HIIT workouts are basically just moving the whole time working through different circuits of weight intervals and cardio stuff. I go to this place called Kaia Fit. It's an awesome bunch of ladies who kick ass and get it done! 
  • Options
    I'm definitely not a runner (I like the idea of being a runner but it's just not for me. I feel the same way about gardening.).

Anyways, I've been doing a daily walk pushing DD in her stroller for the past month which is the most consistent "exercise" I've done since she was born last year. I've also been trying to get my butt out of bed at 5 AM to do some strength training at the gym. Did it once this week, shooting for three times next week.
  • Options
    The fatigue is real over here but I'm hoping to start being less tired soon. I usually try to do yoga at home twice a day and a couple mile walk in the evenings but I just haven't had the energy so far. It should even out soon. I hope. 

@LiveNLove44 wow. You are amazing! 

@Everycol0r @scoogy19 and @bookishbaker I'm with you... I run if something crazy is chasing me! And last time I check there were no moose in the desert either. Haha. 

@arhodes6 HIIT is such a good workout! I wish I was better at it. I've done it a few times but then become a slacker. :smile:

@heatherdubrow do you do a yoga class or yoga at home?
  • Options
    There won't be any running for me unless there's a wild moose chasing me, and let's be honest not much of those in Texas.  But I can't wait to move to our new house and start walking. 
    @Everycol0r have you sold your house yet? Moving has got to be one of the most exhausting experiences ever. That alone is a workout!! Is it a move for more space? better location/schools? I hope it all goes smoothly!

• Options
    I always say I am going to remain active, but I fall off the wagon.  I have busted my butt getting back in shape after having my most recent baby by running and doing yoga.  Since running is the one thing my perinatologist recommends I not do, I have worked hard to get good at yoga.  I go to an intense class twice a week and will probably go back to life Barre.  I am hoping yoga will be something I can do throughout this pregnancy.
  • Options
    Wow, I'm so impressed with how active everyone is. I'm really trying hard to focus on the food piece this time around. I was toying with doing a whole30 (with accommodations for pregnancy). Any of you fitness pros tried this or have any thoughts about it? I feel like it would be a nice reset to begin a pregnancy with. And I already can't have the wine I normally clutch to. 
  • Options
    @i_mean_really - the no wine piece is what steers me away from most diets, so I had the same thought as you.
  • Options
    @i_mean_really the no dairy piece gets me...I love cheese!!! Let me know if you try it; I'd be interested to hear how it goes!

• Options
    @i_mean_really, @LiveNLove44 no cheese?? No dairy?? I don't think I can... :disappointed:
  • Options
    There won't be any running for me unless there's a wild moose chasing me, and let's be honest not much of those in Texas.  But I can't wait to move to our new house and start walking. 
    @Everycol0r have you sold your house yet? Moving has got to be one of the most exhausting experiences ever. That alone is a workout!! Is it a move for more space? better location/schools? I hope it all goes smoothly!
    Yes ma'am we got moved out last weekend and all out stuff is now in storage. Our house officially closed yesterday. Now we wait for a firm closing date on the new house. It's way better space. School districts aren't as good but they're not bad. I am definitely exhausted. 
    httpss-media-cache-ak0pinimgcom564x9c95d69c95d674dd5cf4fca6bd9d384e78e24bjpg
    LFAF February Siggy Challenge - "Favorite TV/Movie Couple"

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload26b89148c7b33ea94ce2d81113588d17jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadd47bf7ca05f00f6cf5bf636c32d9a75bjpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload8eecaf9159c3ef2d76474f4858e0ca7cjpg
    httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploada6e4cbc633a118da3abd087f7518f2c8jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadc77e51750c881e1e2ec7bd004e796cd3jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload54f663537b430163ad7fac1203ceb664jpg

Me: 28 | DH: 29
    DD: 10/17/13
    TTC#2 Actively: 10/14, NTNP: 01/14
    Left-Sided Hydrosalpinx (cause: genetic abnormality, TREATED 11/16)

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/396b04

• Options
    @mdfarmchick I do a class at the gym, but have done videos at home
  • Options
    I've been working out 4-5 days a week since my 6 week pp in sept '15.  I've been running 6 days a week since I've been done with school.  I just got a positive test today.  I'm nervous to run because I didn't with my first pregnancy.  Any tips?  I'd like to continue to work out, just thought I'd ask others!  Thank you!!
  • Options
    @rachaeles my doctor has always said to continue with what is comfortable, and make slight changes as my body changes. Stay hydrated and don't overheat, and you should hopefully find that you can do it well into this pregnancy. Take it one day at a time!!

• Options
    @LiveNLove44 Thank you!!  I'm going to attempt keeping up with running just toned down.
  • Options
    I'm still not cleared to exercise yet, but the hopes are to stay more motivated. Right now I take a 1.5-3 mile walk daily, and very light yoga. 

As as soon as I'm cleared I will hopefully get back to swimming daily, and more intensive yoga. 
    Hey @cowboycorgi, what are your swimming workouts like? Do you have a routine you stick to that you think you'll do through pregnancy? Up until this spring, I hadn't been swimming laps in a decade, so this triathlon training has renewed my love of the pool. I also think swimming can be one of the best workouts for a pregnant woman due to the buoyancy, right?! :smile: Once I do this triathlon, I'm going to try to keep up with some pool routines, and it's easier for me to stay on track if I have a prescribed plan in mind. Any insight would be awesome!!

• Options
    I started to get into home workouts! First time,I went to a gym and would do an hr class but due to the fatigue didn't go that often. Hoping to workout 5x a week this time around!  hopefully I will feel accountable with you ladies!
  • Options
    @LiveNLove44 @mdfarmchick i know CHEESE. nevertheless, DH and i have opted to try it starting tomorrow. i'll keep you posted!
  • Options
    @lfinley87 do you have equipment in your house or do videos? any favorites? 

• Options
    @i_mean_really so I was totally against at home videos, but was desperate. Loving beachbody ondemand! So many options!! Plus it's way cheaper than a gym, I have been doing for a year and haven't gotten bored yet!
  • Options
    You ladies are amazing! Go you!!

I teach water aerobics 3x a week and wish I found this sooner! I can't work out on land anymore or maybe I just don't want to? 

I was inactive with my son so I will be very different this time around and excited about that!
  • Options
    @barrelocarol, that's awesome! Maybe you could pass along a few workouts for us, eh?! :smiley::wink:

• Options
    Last pregnancy, I did yoga and lots of walking. The yoga helped SO much with my back pain, so I'll definitely be doing that this time around. I developed plantar fasciitis last time and it hurt like hell, so I'm going to be easier on my feet this time around. I have this desk bike thing that I plan to use for cardio. 

@i_mean_really, I've used Daily Burn for a while for at home videos and there's a lot of variety! They have a free trial, so I would definitely recommend trying it! I'm looking for something different this time around, so I'm considering purchasing Briony Smythe's Prenatal Glow. I did the demo yesterday (on YouTube) and I liked it. 
  • Options
    Do any of you ladies already feel like you are out of breath and can't push as hard as before?? I do t remember it being so difficult in the beginning?
  • Options
    LiveNLove44LiveNLove44 member
    edited July 2017
    lfinley87 said:
    Do any of you ladies already feel like you are out of breath and can't push as hard as before?? I do t remember it being so difficult in the beginning?
    Yes! This typically happens to me in the first trimester, too. With my first (DD), I cut myself a lot of slack in the first trimester because I kept reading that the second trimester brings a boost in energy. I also had a stress fracture which meant I took over a month off of running altogether. Major lesson learned (and proved to be true for me in my second pregnancy): Working out in the first trimester is hard for a lot of reasons, however, if you don't, the second trimester doesn't bring the boost of energy you hear about and it is not easier to workout the longer you wait. The best thing that worked for me was to do what I could and make it a habit. I did some sprint intervals at the beginning with my second (DS), and it was definitely slower than usual, but made a huge difference in my long term endurance and lung capacity as I went through pregnancy! I hope your workouts keep feeling good as much as possible!

ETA:
    I use the phrase "working out" to refer to any kind of activity that feels good for an individual and is doctor approved! :smile:

• Options
    barrelocarolbarrelocarol member
    edited July 2017
    @LiveNLove44 It would be awesome if we all lived near each other and could work out together. It's hard to find preggos at the same time!

@lfinley87 Yes!! I'm so out of breath and pant like a dog. The participants of my water aerobics class are mainly senior citizens and they're just a ok while I'm huffing and puffing. Regrettably, I did zero exercise with my first so I have no frame of reference. 

Edited: conjugation and verb tense blah
  • Options
    I've been running consistently for the last year and am used to cycling through 4, 5, and 6 mile runs every week. It's probably just the extra heat and humidity but I had to cut my last run short. I haven't had to do that since December when it turned out I had the flu. It's ridiculously hot/humid outside now so I think I may switch to the elliptical at home and a low key weight routine. I hate to lose running but I'm afraid of pushing too hard in the middle of summer. 

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018