August 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

• @kvh22 I had a hand pump but never used it. The hospital gave it to me. For some reason I hand-expressed if I ever needed relief that didn't require a pumping session. Now that I think of it I wonder if that hand pump would have come in handy... might try it this time around.
  • @kvh22 I received one from the hospital the first time around (I think it was the Medela Harmony) and I personally hated it.  I used it once or twice when I absolutely needed to, but it was a pain to use and so much less efficient than an electric pump.  If I wasn't near a private room with an outlet, I just used a car adapter and pumped in the car.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    Thanks, @kristenk727 and @Kudlica27! I know I could always just buy it later but it's eligible for the completion discount with Amazon and I'm trying to save as much as possible on things I'm going to buy anyways. I do think I'd use it if I had it - probably a "nice to have," not a "must have," but I'd rather save the 15% on it and get it now, I think. What did you ladies think of the brands you used? I was looking at the Medela and the Philips Avent. From the Amazon reviews, the Medela seemed better (but also a little more expensive). I'm getting the Spectra S1 but will have the adapters to pump into Medela and other small bottles depending on what LO prefers for bottles.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Travel bottle warmers - are they worth it? Recommended brand?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903
    We didn't ever use a travel bottle warmer.  If we went out of town, we just brought our everyday one (Dr.  Browns).  For errands and day trips,  I stored bottles in a cooler and took out about an hour before I needed it.  In restaurants you can ask for a hot water and use that to warm. 

I think I remember you saying you were using formula?  When I made the switch over to formula, I just kept water bottles in my diaper bag at room temp and used when needed.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Kathryn0903 I guess it depends on if you breastfeed or not, but once we started supplementing and then switched to just formula.  We never heated any bottle, breast milk or formula. He ate anything at any temperature. With formula, we put water in and added the formula from one of those formula dispenser and fed him, no problems. I know we were super fortunate, but they can eat it cold or warm temperature. My sister started heated ones with my niece and she became a bottle diva. My nephew was born in March and they don't heat his and he doesn't care. 

This was super helpful when out and about as well as in the middle of the night, it saves a step when they're screaming their heads off. Definitely doesn't work with every baby, but worth a shot. 
  • I agree. No bottles were warmed. Water was left on counter at room temp. 
  • lewlivlewliv member
    Has anyone tried Kiinde Twist Pouches for breast milk? I'm wondering if is it worthwhile? I understand that the twist caps won't be as easily stacked. Is the bottle that attach to the pouch any good? 
  • Are there things that are recommended to carry in the diaper bag at all times(besides the diapers and wipes)?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • britvahokbritvahok member
    edited June 2017
    @Kathryn0903 Extra clothes, burp clothes, pacifier (if you chose to use one), extra formula (if you formula feed), baby bottles, water bottles
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Munchkin Arm and Hammer Diaper Bag Dispenser, Colors May Vary https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QKDI48/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_2abtzb02G7228

Love these. Clips to your diaper bag and is deodorized.

I also kept infant Tylenol and gas drops, ibuprofen once he was old enoug.

I kept pajamas in case we got stuck out late we could already have him changed and in jammies when we got home.

Hand sanitizer was great for when we changed diapers in the car and couldn't wash our hands.

Some moms keep an extra t shirt in case of blow outs or spit up accidents.

Light blanket in case you wind up somewhere chilly
  • When they are newborns the diaper bag requires much more then when they get a little older and more predictable. All these suggestions are great. Multiple outfits, bags, shirt for you (lots of poop and puke happen), and I always kept breast pads and maxi pads for me (for a while).
  • In addition to what PPs have mentioned, I have kids sunscreen spray & a small first aid kit in my diaper bag.

I also load up with juice boxes, squeeze pouches, fruit snacks, etc before we leave the house (for when they're older, obviously). 

Dollar Tree has diaper/doggy poop bags. 
  • If you are looking for cheep doggie poop bags, Amazon sells them in bulk.  We have a dog, and the box we got was 1500 poop bags for 20 bucks.  They do sell baby poop bags, but they are more expensive, and the exact same thing.  We got some in a free box from somewhere.  
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Re: Poop bags. If you happen to get the newspaper and it's delivered in plastic bags, save those. That's what my sister always did. We cloth diaper so we use re-usable wet bags.

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• bumpybump said:
    Re: Poop bags. If you happen to get the newspaper and it's delivered in plastic bags, save those. That's what my sister always did. We cloth diaper so we use re-usable wet bags.
    My mom does something similar and uses the bags you put your produce in from the grocery store 
  • I tried searching for suggestions on this but couldn't find any - any thoughts on the NEED for a double stroller with a 2 year old and newborn? I know each kid is different, but DS hated his infant seat so much I wore him all the time and quickly switched him to a convertible. He's so tall and His legs are so long for all the doubles we've tested im afraid we won't get much bang for our buck. Thinking about baby wearing the little and keeping ds in his graco or umbrella stroller. I plan to see how it goes when baby is here but was hoping for some feedback from your plans or experiences !
  • @destdave2013

I struggled with this forever. Didn't know if I should get one or not. Finally ended up doing it. We used our stroller a LOT with #1. And I wanted to at least have the option. If we don't use it much I can always resell it. I've noticed they sell super fast here on baby items sites.
  • @destdave2013
    I also struggled with this decision.  I ended up finding one for cheap on a local buy-sell-trade site, so I took advantage and got it.  Figured I could resell it if we don't use it.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks for the input @belmont1785 and @kristenk727! I have a feeling we'll end up getting one like you both. I want to reuse my click connect infant carrier since it was so gently used by ds, which limits my choices even more but we'll figure it out! My motto this pregnancy :smiley:
  • @destdave2013 we got a double although DD was never really a stroller kid. Up until about a month ago and now (at 3) she's suddenly all about riding in the stroller. Not sure if it's because a baby is coming or if she finally recognizes that she gets tired after walking. I had also talked with friends and they all said to get one because once baby comes, the older sibling wants to do what the baby does, ride in the stroller. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @destdave2013 my in laws gave us a double bob and I ended up loving it! We bought the carseat adapter/toddler snack tray and we used it all the time. 

My kids were 18 months apart so my oldest was pretty young. We used it a lot for walks and then it was great for days at the zoo, etc. Now that they are 4 and 2.5 we don't use it much anymore but I'm guessing it will be useful again once #3 arrives. 
  • Overnight diapers - when to start using them? When baby is a newborn or later?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 we didn't use them for a couple months, once he started sleeping longer stretches and wasn't getting changes as frequently. We didn't use them for long
  • NxyNxy member
    @Kathryn0903 We never used them. We'd just buy a size up for over night if she leaked through them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nxy said:
    @Kathryn0903 We never used them. We'd just buy a size up for over night if she leaked through them. 
    @Kathryn0903
    This exactly.  DS is two and we have never used an overnight diaper. Just make sure you have a mattress protector pad under your crib sheet, so if there is a leak, your mattress isn't ruined.   

Pregnancy Ticker

• tova24tova24 member
    Is it bad that I didn't know there was such a thing as overnight diapers? So much to learn!!!! 
  • I don't use overnight diapers either. I either do a size up, or I add a maxi pad to the inside of her current diaper. My mom said she used to do that with us. It works pretty good. I have bought overnight ones before and they don't seem to work any better.
  • With my son, sizing up didn't help. That made the leaks worse. Huggies overnights worked very well for us. 
  • We use Huggies overnight diapers for DD who is 14 months. They've worked well for her. We started around 8 months because she would wake up soaking wet. I hated all other Huggies diapers though.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • tova24tova24 member
    Who all is buying a car seat sun cover? Do they really work and keep the car seat cool when the car is parked on a hot summer day? 
  • AbbeyHAbbeyH member
    @tova24 we have one and don't use it a ton. Especially with the infant bucket seat you will usually have baby in the seat so it won't sit in the hot car unless you plan on baby wearing.  We bought ours for the convertible seat for our two year old but only really use it if we know we will be getting right into a hot car- generally he gets in after we have cooled it down a bit.  

Long story short- makes sense but not a must have in the beginning. 

(I live in the south- so it gets pretty hot)
  • @tova24 we have one of those car seat canopies they always hand out coupons for. All you have to pay is shipping. We liked it, not because it kept the seat cool, but because it kept him covered when we were out and about like shopping or eating. We'd snap the carrier in the stroller or put it in the booth next to us and for the most part people left him alone. It was great if he was sleeping, too. DH always said it was like when you put a blanket over a bird cage.  I know some people say you can just use a blanket, but I liked the cover because it stayed in place pretty well and I didn't have to worry about dropping it.
  • @tova24 you mean this?
    Mommy's Helper Car Seat Sun Shade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00125NZSQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_uiqvzbYAEY7CJ

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• tova24tova24 member
    @bumpybump that is exactly what I'm talking about! Did you buy/use it?
  • I am learning so much! I didn't know overnight diapers or car seat sun covers were a thing! Thanks everyone!

we were gifted this head/neck support insert:
    Brica Koosh'N Infant Neck and Head Support, Gray/Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L2JJ78/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qEtvzb25CS9AQ

It looks different than others I've seen - does anyone have any experience with these?

also- do I need strap covers too?