September 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms 6/19

2»

Re: Weekly Randoms 6/19

• @ColoradoHiker I know I'm lucky because I'm not nearly as understanding/chill about things as he is!
  • Loading the player...
  • @MrsVP614 Lol, this bothers me at every doctor except my OBGYN, the new practice I go to plays HGTV all the time in the waiting room and it's awesome, there's always a Fixer Upper mini marathon on when I go.
  • @heatherlynn321 That's nice! It seems extra busy today, and I've never had to wait this long before. It's just a bad sign as I head into more frequent appts. 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Random question/thought: Does anyone know which is safer, to put baby's car seat behind the passenger or or the driver seat? Also, The passenger seems much more convenient if you need to hand them something/ look at them but if you put them on the drivers side you wouldn't have to walk all the way around your car every time.
  • @Breath_Easy92 I believe I saw that the middle of the backseat is the safest option. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @bridge-and-wall I'm not sure if that'll be an option since the middles seat belt is just the over the lap kind, but I know nothing about installing car seats in going to take it to the fire house. They are trained and do it for free.
  • I honestly don't think there is a safer spot when it comes to driver and passenger side. I could definitely be wrong but I was always told the middle is the safest. But we have a van now so my school ager will be in the back, toddler is on passenger side and baby will be behind me. That probably helped 0% and I apologise! 
  • edited June 2017
    @bridge-and-wall I feel like I remember reading that the middle is not actually the safest, but now I can't remember why (that was two years ago). At any rate, we put DS behind the passenger seat which means this baby will go behind the driver's seat.

ETA - now that I'm looking again, it looks like everything says the middle is the best. Does your car have a latch system? Our middle seat belt is also the over the lap kind, but we also have the latch system in the middle seat so a car seat would be totally doable there.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • @tfrangul and @wannabeamongoose thanks guys, I'll have to check on the latch system. I'm not allowed to lift the car seat though with the bedrest restrictions in on so this might get interesting haha. 
  • @MrsVP614 i love how if you're late to a dr appointment they side eye you and give you the millionth degree and even threaten like "if you are late to check in you will lose your appointment...but still gotta pay the co pay yadda yadda" but GOD FORBID the doctor is late. I get so mad. Oh so you can waste my time? That's cool. NEW DOCTOR PLEASE. 
  • @Breath_Easy92 We asked our Dr. The same thing when we had DS 8 yrs ago. She told me if you can't do middle then behind the drivers seat. Her reasoning was because if you didnt have time to think before an accident your instinct is to protect yourself. I don't think I have seen this anywhere else but it has stuck with me. 
  • @cchenal07 that seems logical, thanks 
  • cchenal07 said:
    @Breath_Easy92 We asked our Dr. The same thing when we had DS 8 yrs ago. She told me if you can't do middle then behind the drivers seat. Her reasoning was because if you didnt have time to think before an accident your instinct is to protect yourself. I don't think I have seen this anywhere else but it has stuck with me. 
    That's what I thought too! But then I heard passenger side is safer because you're less likely to forget baby is there since you can see them.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • That also sounds very logical! I don't think I would ever forget, but for sure a fear.
  • Our car seat has instructions how to secure with just a lap belt, so you might look in the instruction book. If you don't have the booklet, they should have an online version. Or a YouTube video, I watched one for our infant car seat. DS is behind the drivers seat, and DD will probably go in the middle seat
  • @MrsVP614 usually my OB runs pretty close to on time, but yesterday I had to wait almost 30 minutes. I was so annoyed. Between wait time and getting there and back I had to use 3 hours of sick time, so that I could see the dr for 10 minutes.
  • @Breath_Easy92 I read something that suggested putting car seat passenger side instead of driver side because if you parallel park it's safer to be taking baby out from the sidewalk side than the street side.
  • I just listened to a podcast with a licensed car seat technician/state trooper. She said middle seat is safest, because t-bone accidents are so frequent and they're safest in the interior. But if that's not an option, then passenger side for the reason @Rhubarb7216 explained, since you don't want to  pull out your baby on the side of the car where traffic flows. 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • One of the things I had no clue about before taking our infant seat to a certified installer is that not every car that has latch is approved to be used to rear face an infant with latch. You have to check your manual for it. Car seats for the Littles facebook group is also a great resource for this if you don't have your manual. I drive a Subaru and none of the Subaru models are supposedly approved for rf latch.
  • @Breath_Easy92 If you have a smaller car, it may be a moot point anyway, depending on whether you get an infant car seat or a convertible.  I have a 2000 Jetta, and the convertible does not fit behind me (I'm tall) when I'm driving.  My knees are in the dashboard when we take my car places and DH is driving/ I'm in the passenger seat.  The infant car seat fit (barely) behind the driver seat, and for my car, I believe that it was old enough that something didn't work well when the car seat was in the middle.  I think the space between the LATCH on either side was too wide, and it was only meant for passenger or driver hook up.  Check your car manual!  FWIW, it's easier to get them out from the sides, too, although I realize that is not the first and major concern here.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Ahh thank you everyone that definitely helps... a lot to think about. Safety things are so stressful for me.
  • @Breath_Easy92 How are things with your FIL wanting you to return the car seat you got for money??

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @Sugargirl1019 long story but I'll try and shorten it... we kept the new car seat  and he basically said we were being difficult and basically making him look bad. He then went in to people just wanted to "bless us" and we should just be grateful so we said well we just dont want to take things we don't need. He's solution is to take everything offered and we can sell what we don't need. So while that makes no sense to me and seems fairly rude, we are just taking everything and what we don't need we will sell or give to the local women's shelter. Mainly because we are tired of arguing with him about it and we are stressed out enough with all the pregnancy complications.
  • @Breath_Easy92 So you'll take the one he wants to give you as well? I'd just appease him and maybe it could be a spare if you don't donate it.

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @Breath_Easy92 What if you agree to take it if he agrees to store all the extra shit at his house? 
  • @Sugargirl1019 yeah we only have one car right now so I'll probably donate it but it just irritates me that we have to jump through so many hoops to make him happy. 
  • I am so over these early mornings. My H keeps waking our toddler up to use the potty when he is having a night terror and then he won't go back to sleep. I don't understand his logic. Stop it!
  • lilpoots said:
    I drive a Subaru and none of the Subaru models are supposedly approved for rf latch.

Well this is good to know, given that we have a Subaru too. I'll re-read the manual first (don't remember catching that when we installed 2 years ago), but I guess we'll be switching to seat belt instead of latch.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Just put in a preapproval loan application at our bank for a new car, im so nervous! We are looking pretty seriously at a dodge Durango. If anyone has any tips for buying a new car let me know.

Also, how are we picking labor buddies?