3rd Trimester
Options

39.5 weeks. No dilation. Big baby. Possible C-section.

Hello everyone!
This is my first child and my due date is only two days (the 17th) away but I've had little to no changes since my last appointment. The last 3 haven't changed much actually. However, I've been told that my baby is measuring big. I was able to get an ultra-sound done during my last appointment because of this and was told that he is measuring 8 lbs 6 ounces. They also pointed out that it could be off by a pound so that isn't too reassuring. The word c-section has been mentioned. When I went in for my 40 week appointment today my doctor said my stomach measured what its supposed to but since I've not progressed with effacement or dilation they might have to do a c-section. Dilation is at 0 basically and my cervix is probably somewhere around 50% thickness and not facing forward like it should. She said that several factors could be the reason, such as his head maybe being too big to apply enough pressure to my cervix for dilation. She won't let me go over 41 weeks regardless so my appointment for next Friday should be my last one, with Saturday possibly being the day that they do a c-section. She's told me that I could have him vaginally but that because of his size he could get stuck or labor might not progress enough so once again back to the c-section. I'm not sure if because of the lack of progress for the past few weeks he'll even come out naturally. I know that anything could change at any time and I could go into labor. However, I'm fairly certain that (mostly because of not being dilated) I still have my mucus plug. Induction could be an option but once again I was told because of his size it could be risky. My symptoms are basically the same. He dropped lower about a month ago and I've been getting more pressure because of it but that's about it. I had the "lightning crotch" yesterday for about 30 minutes and then it went away. When he does move I do feel it low because sometimes he hits my bladder and that never feels good. I've been told to keep an eye on fetal movements and that isn't a problem because he's always moving. He was moving at the time she told me that and has always been pretty active. I'm just not sure how to go about this situation. Induction or c-section seem like my two options, with c-section being the mostly likely route. I don't know whether I'd prefer to go into labor or get a c-section. The last thing I want is to actually go into labor and then not be able to deliver him that way. I'm quickly accepting the possibility of a c-section so at least if it does happen I'll be more prepared than if it's just thrown at me all of a sudden. I know others have been in this same situation so I was hoping for some feedback about their experiences or just good 'ole advice. Thanks!

Re: 39.5 weeks. No dilation. Big baby. Possible C-section.

• Options
    8lbs 6oz isn't that big (unless if you have been diagnosed with narrow pelvis).  Ultrasounds are notorious for being +/- 2lbs. 

Due dates are only estimates, not an exact science.  You can easily go from no dilation to active labor in the matter of no time.  Personally, I would be concerned -myself- if doctor is already talking C-section unless there is concern on their perspective.

If vaginal delivery is what you would like to try, discuss induction.  If you dont want to try induction with the possibility of moving to c-section then discuss with your doctor your concerns.  Any vaginal delivery can move into c-section, unplanned.  I was very close to having to go into c-section, after almost 36 hours of labor.  

You ultimately have a choice of what you want to do, they can't force you into anything. But weigh in any concerns they may have and make a choice after a heart to heart with your doctor.  

Not sure if this is very helpful. Best wishes! 

• Options
    8lbs 6oz isn't that big (unless if you have been diagnosed with narrow pelvis).  Ultrasounds are notorious for being +/- 2lbs. 

Due dates are only estimates, not an exact science.  You can easily go from no dilation to active labor in the matter of no time.  Personally, I would be concerned -myself- if doctor is already talking C-section unless there is concern on their perspective.

If vaginal delivery is what you would like to try, discuss induction.  If you dont want to try induction with the possibility of moving to c-section then discuss with your doctor your concerns.  Any vaginal delivery can move into c-section, unplanned.  I was very close to having to go into c-section, after almost 36 hours of labor.  

You ultimately have a choice of what you want to do, they can't force you into anything. But weigh in any concerns they may have and make a choice after a heart to heart with your doctor.  

Not sure if this is very helpful. Best wishes! 

Yes to all of this, especially the bolded. Anecdotal evidence so, of course, YMMV, but I just delivered an 8 pound, 12.5 ounce baby (med-free) and quickly too. First time mom, about 4.5 hours after active labor began and getting to my birth center. 10 hours from water breaking to delivery. Minor tearing with two stitches. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Agree with PPs. You need to have a serious discussion with your dr about your wishes to have a vaginal delivery if possible. For what it's worth, at 38 weeks I had a growth scan where they estimated my baby to be 7lb14oz (85th percentile). I also was "stuck" at 1 cm dilated from week 36 through my 40 week appointment.  Then at 40+6 I went  into labor on my own and had an uncomplicated vaginal delivery of my 8lb 0oz girl. 

Unless you have other medical complications, there's no reason to jump to a c-section for babies estimated under 11 lbs (according to ACOG). Or, honestly , no good reason to consider induction before 41 weeks. There's lots of good info available only me for free through ACOG. Do some research and head to your next appointment informed and ready to have a discussion about your options. You've got this. 

Of course there's nothing inherently wrong with a c if that's what's needed but it's a major surgery and should be done for the right reasons. 
  • Options
    OP, my daughter was measuring big (close to 9lbs) at my last appointment. She ended up being 8.2 lbs. Vaginally. You could ask to be induced instead of being told you need a c section, as long as both you and baby are ok healthwise. A dr that comes out talking c section without the option of trying an induction is a scary thought. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    A friend of mine was told her baby would likely weigh 9lbs, she ended up having a 6lbs something oz baby girl. I also know a mom who vaginally delivered a 10lbs baby no problem. So as a pp said, unless you've been told you have a narrow pelvis, there's no reason to assume labor and delivery would be difficult just because they're guessing baby may be 8+lbs. Definitely go to your next appointment with information, it's perfectly healthy to go up to 42 weeks before inducing, I think some women will still do up to 43 weeks even. As long as there's no other medically necessary reason to get baby out asap, I would push to try and wait until 42 weeks before inducing. Also think about the fact that if you have a c section this time, you'll be encouraged to have a repeat CS next time. VBAC is definitely possible though!! Good luck!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    Thanks for all of the great replies! Much appreciated.

I've never been told that I have a narrow pelvis or anything similar to that. My pregnancy has gone very well compared to the other soon-to-be mom's I know. No morning sickness, weird cravings, etc. Every time that I've gone to an appointment my urine, any blood work, and blood pressure have been good. I did have to do the 3 hour glucose test twice though because the 1 hour always came back around 10 points to high. After each 3 hour, however, the results were perfectly normal. I was already over weight for my height when I got pregnant (at 180 lbs.), and have gained about 30 pounds since then but was told anything from 25 to 30 would be fine. No leaking or bleeding. Discharge is normal and was only greater near the later months and after the doctor checks my cervix. I did test positive for the swab test that they do at 36 weeks or so but was told I'll get antibiotics when I get to the hospital. I had some ligament pain in my left side yesterday that was strong but felt better after I was able to sit or even lay on my side and then it didn't come back. Other than those few things I think I've had it easy so I'm hoping that because of that a vaginal birth is possible. I just have to play the waitng game. Yesterday was my due date but no baby yet. I'm hoping he wants to pop out before my next appointment because I'm getting impatient. Lol.
  • Options
    Have Lots of sex. Semen encourages labor and weakens the sac that's why they put sex restrictions on women who are at risk for pre term labor. And from what you said you're not too uncomfortable so have fun while you can because​ once the baby is here that's a long 6 weeks of waiting haha
  • Options
    harpseal135harpseal135 member
    edited June 2017
    Have Lots of sex. Semen encourages labor and weakens the sac that's why they put sex restrictions on women who are at risk for pre term labor. And from what you said you're not too uncomfortable so have fun while you can because​ once the baby is here that's a long 6 weeks of waiting haha
    Maybe for the SO, but not me...it was almost 6 months and it hurt like hell.  But then again I was 1.5mm away from going to go to the OR to get stitched up due to horrible tearing.