August 2017 Moms

FFFC 6/16

2»

Re: FFFC 6/16

• NxyNxy member
    Flame free question:

Is it absolutely insane to bring a desk fan to the hospital?? Germans don't believe in A/C and of all the things I'm worried about the post partum sweat fest with no A/C or moving air already makes me uncomfortable

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • tova24tova24 member
    @Nxy Germans don't believe in A/C?!!! I'm shocked. I have a German car and my butt gets A/C (this is fabulous in 90+ degree Texas weather). What the hell!!! I would bring 5 fans! 
  • @Nxy i would bring an A.C. window unit. I had the air on the lowest setting and was freezing everyone else. 
  • NxyNxy member
    @tova24 the no A/C rule only applies to buildings. Cars and moving vehicles get A/C because Germans are *super* weird about drafts. There is a German word for it but basically Germans (a lot of Europe actually) has a "phobia" of like rushing air (so driving with the windows down) and sudden air temperature changes  (so going from cold A/C to hot outside) and they generally think it's not good for you to sit around in A/C because the cold "is bad for you"
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NxyNxy member
    edited June 2017
    @SouthernMama15  one of my friends here recently had a baby and she went to like... German Lowes and asked them how to set it (portable AC unit) up in her nursery and they **REFUSED** to sell it to her 

For real. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • lewlivlewliv member
    @Mango517 when DH and I were in California a few weeks ago, I forgot my coconut oil and used his expensive Kiehl's facial cream all over my body throughout the week.  :D
  • Oh hell yes I'd BYOFan in that case @Nxy
    Even if it's warm in the room having a breeze on will make all the difference. 

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Nxy I'm in legit shock over here.  :o
  • @Nxy I live in western Washington where a lot of houses don't have A/C (for the 2-3 months a year you might actually need it) so I kind of get that piece, but every public building like hospitals has A/C. Like, do they actually believe change in temperature is bad or is it just a long standing lie people tell themselves for being so miserable in the summer lol?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • lewlivlewliv member
    @Nxy no Brazilian babies would ever survive if this was true. Indoors in Brazil is like an igloo and outdoors is like hell. But I did spend a lot of time with stuffy nose because of the constant change in temperature. I would definitely bring a fan!
  • @Nxy oh my Lord. I have no words. I would have lost my mind on that guy.  Who told him it was his job to tell mothers how to raise their children? 
  • NxyNxy member
    edited June 2017
    @SpotConlon It's like when people in the US say don't go out without a jacket you'll catch a cold. But all heavy breezes and cool enviorments. It's super weird. I get dirty lookes if DD doesn't have a jacket on if it's below 75 it's bonkers.
    It also doesn't get as hot here generally so you'd only need A.C. a couple weeks a year. (My Dr's office is actually in the hospital we'll be delivering at) But for my appointments the past two times I've been hot in just the office.. I'm really not looking forward to post delivery  :s
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Nxy I don't blame you. I would bring a fan just in case, for sure.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • NxyNxy member
    Im totally adding a fan to my list lol thanks ladies  B)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah I'd be headed back to German Lowes and NOT telling a different salesperson that it was in a home for a baby. Yeesh. People have different comfort levels with different temperatures and should be able to control the temps in their own damn homes. That also extends to bringing fans to the hospital IMO!!!

But, +1 to babies in hot climate logic. And look, I grew up in a farmhouse without air conditioning and survived. (I'm saying that half sarcastically re: bad parenting advice, like, oh don't worry about an 80* bedroom, your kid will survive because I did!.)  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I feel like that policy has been prolonged by some idiot who has never had the pleasure of hormone sweats. Like a man or some bitter old maid.
  • AbbeyHAbbeyH member
    Thanks @DeansGirl14.  It is bothering him- which is why he went to the doc. Then last night he mentioned his other wrist was hurting too.  Ugh. 
  • @kristenk727 I try to give people the benefit of the doubt on grammar and usage. English is not my favorite subject and has been something that I've always struggled with (see ending a sentence with a preposition). I am a natural at math and science whereas so many people have difficulty with those subjects. I think you have every right to judge someone for poor grammar but try to understand that there are well educated people out there that mean well but have difficulty with the English language. I have several sorority sisters that have majored in English or went to grad school for education and I hate talking with them on Facebook/Instagram because I feel like I am constantly being judged if I misuse a word or have bad grammar. :/ 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• @kristenk727 I try to give people the benefit of the doubt on grammar and usage. English is not my favorite subject and has been something that I've always struggled with (see ending a sentence with a preposition). I am a natural at math and science whereas so many people have difficulty with those subjects. I think you have every right to judge someone for poor grammar but try to understand that there are well educated people out there that mean well but have difficulty with the English language. I have several sorority sisters that have majored in English or went to grad school for education and I hate talking with them on Facebook/Instagram because I feel like I am constantly being judged if I misuse a word or have bad grammar. :/

Stuck in box: I totally understand all of that.  I'm no stickler when it comes to misusing a word... my vocabulary is nothing spectacular.  It's more so that I judge if someone posts or sends an email and there is literally no punctuation anywhere.  When I was still teaching, I got emails from parents that were one long run-on sentence.... and I knew for a fact that they were born and raised in the US, so they should have known better. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Nxy omg yes to bringing a fan! Especially in August!  

My FFFC.... poor grammar drives me absolutely nuts.  Periods,  commas, capital letters, and the difference between there, their, and they're are basics that are covered in elementary school.  If a grown adult does not use them appropriately, I lose a lot of respect for them.  We live in a technology based society, and with auto correct, there is no excuse to not get the basics correct.   I was a math teacher,  and my grammar is far from perfect,  but if someone can't get the basics down, then they automatically lose points in the respect department.  
    THIS. It's not that difficult to use commas and periods. I'm not talking about writing a thesis, I'm talking about writing in a way that makes it easy for the reader to understand. People are just lazy. 
  • @kristenk727 Okay now that is inexcusable... *shakes head* 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• @kristenk727 Poor grammar also bothers me.  Everyone makes mistakes, but when it's the same error over and over on basic things such as your/you're or they're/there/their, I cringe.  It particularly bothers me when the person making the same mistake is a teacher.  I admit that I'm being judgmental, but I expect people in certain professions to know basic rules of grammar. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My confession is that while I consider myself fairly decent at proper grammar, I overuse and abuse commas. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • caity024 said:nj
    My confession is that while I consider myself fairly decent at proper grammar, I overuse and abuse commas. 
    But at least you use them! :)

Pregnancy Ticker