November 2017 Moms
Options

Gender Dissappointment

A safe and hopefully non - judgmental space to discuss any surprise, shock or disappointment once we have had gender reveal or given birth. 

Please be kind. 

Re: Gender Dissappointment

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ariasbabyblog ..... that is how i feel too 
  • Options
    Yep! My midwife guessed boy (I asked her to write down her guess after we had our last ultrasound at 15 weeks, and she guessed boy. We already have a boy and I was so hoping for a daughter. I love my son, but I have always wanted a daughter too! It took me about a day to get over it, and I talked to my friends and mom and sister, and they really cheered me up. They reminded me how awesome it will be that D will have a playmate and they can do boy stuff together, share a room, etc. Another part of it was that I really felt strongly I was having a girl. I felt so strongly that I was having a boy with my first, and I was right. This time, my pregnancy has been so different and I've been so sick, I just totally thought it was a girl. We will find out for sure in a couple weeks for sure. 
  • Options
    Thanks for your encouragement @ShePersisted

• Options
    With my pregnancy with DS3, I was convinced I was having a girl. I had already had two boys. And the pregnancy was totally different. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that it was a girl. When I found out at the AS that it was a boy, I cried. I cried right there in front of the ultrasound tech and DH. I was worried that I wouldn't connect with him, because I was already mentally prepared to connect with my daughter, not another son. I cried for a long time after finding out, too. I cried every time someone asked what the gender was and I cried everytime someone said "oh, another boy, that's too bad" or "well, maybe you'll get a girl next time." *TW* I had already had 2 losses and I had convinced myself that those two pregnancies were girls, and that I had lost my chances to have girls. *END TW*

The reasons I so badly wanted a daughter were so simple. 1. I'm not a girly girl, so I am hoping to get to experience that side of things with a daughter. 2. I have a step daughter whose life I didn't get to be a part of until she was already 3 years old, so I missed the baby and toddler phases. And, per her mother, there are lists of things I am not allowed to do with her, so I want a chance to parent a daughter without restrictions. (Some requests were obvious like, don't pierce her ears. Some ridiculous like, ask before you take her to any new movies in case she wanted to take her.) 3. I had/have a terrible relationship with my mother and though I feel like I'll be heading into parenting this LO (this one is a girl) blindly, I feel as though I'll finally get to have a mother/daughter relationship, and I plan to do the opposite of everything my mother did. 

Note: for anyone struggling with issues of a rough relationship with their mother, there is a great Facebook group that I am a part of (name below) that is amazing and offers great support. We don't just talk about our terrible mothers, we also talk about difficulties parenting because of our parents and ask questions to each other on various topics. You don't need to tell me your name to join and people join all the time. Just search for the group if you're interested.

"Moms without mons (mom's dealing with the grief of not having a good mother)"
  • Options
    I have my heart set on a girl and even though I know it won't matter at all one day, I'll definitely grieve that dream a little if it's a boy. This is part of why I'm team green. I don't want to know because I want to dream a little longer. 
    Me: 32 Husbando: 49
    Married Since: 7/29/2012
    omgosh 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't admitted any of this...my A/S is next Thursday.  I think I'm having another boy and I've been calling it "he".  But a huge part of me feels like I'm calling it "he" to curb the disappointment if it's not a girl.  Then again, I really don't think I'd mind having another boy...I guess I'll know exactly how I feel when we find out.  But I do wonder if I'm thinking it's a boy to curb any disappointment...even though I love having a boy already.

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @c+mpeachey thank you for starting this thread 
    Found out yesterday I am having a boy. To say I'm shocked is an understatement. I really thought I was having a girl and I wanted one.im ashamed to say that I am upset. It just feels like I'm already a bad mom for not being happy about a boy. This entire pregnancy I've just seen myself as the mom of a little girl. Our family is overdue for a girl. My grandma passed away in April and for some reason I thought it would be a girl because of that? 
    I am angry with myself for being unhappy that it's a boy but I'm already surrounded by boys. My two step sons are amazing and I love them ... but our foster daughter is leaving soon are doing my step daughter has completely gone off the rails are did left us. I'm the only girl in the house and I guess I just thought I'd get a girl in the house. 
    DH IS very happy as he wanted a boy. But I'm just so sad. 
  • Options
    I was convinced DD was a boy, I did mourn when I found out I was having a girl. I'm not sure why but I got over it. I'm not sure what we are having this time. Id like a boy since this will more than likely be my last. 
  • Options
    I just want to offer a big huge HUG to all of you. It is totally fine to feel these emotions! It's totally okay to grieve the loss of the daughter or son you may never have. If anyone tries to make you feel guilty, fuck them. Of course you are happy to have a healthy baby, but that doesn't diminish your feelings. 

I am fortunate to have one of each thus far but when we found out my son was a boy. I was terrified. I didn't want a son. I wanted daughters. I was so scared. I didn't know how to handle a boy! I grew up sayin I wanted boys but after having a girl first, I didn't think I ever wanted a son. Now that he is here, and my daughter is a daddy's girl through and through, I am so so thankful God gave me a son. He's a Mama's boy 100%. I was so scared but now, I got this. 

That said, I am so nervous to find out the sexes of the twins. I truly want one more girl. So if we find out it is 2 more boys, I honestly will be a little disappointed. I want the chance to do the girly dresses, dance classes, etc again. We also want our daughter to have a sister. We both only have sisters (me a younger one and my husband has 2 older) and we want that for our daughter. Obviously, I will embrace whatever we are blessed with, but both my husband and I are hoping one is another girl.
    Me: 32 / H: 35
    Married 9-19-2009
    Baby Karrot 1.0 - 6.18.2012 - She's here! Via C-section @ 38 weeks.
    Baby Karrot 2.0 -
    6.25.2015 - He's here! Via VBAC @ 36 weeks.
    Baby Karrot 3.0 - 3.9.2017 - BFP @ 9 DPO! EDD 11.20.2017 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    av2323av2323 member
    I was over the moon when I found out I was having a girl.  Now that I've had several weeks to adjust to the idea I am starting to panic and have tiny nagging feelings of sadness that I am not a "boy mom".   I'm terrified to raise a girl.  Much like @ShePersisted, I had a horrible relationship with my mom.  I don't even know how to begin to parent a girl.  Not to mention it is just unfair the things girls/women have to go through.  I don't want my daughter sent home from school to change a perfectly appropriate outfit because it's "distracting".  I don't want to have her watch me struggle to lose the baby weight and become comfortable with my post-partum mother of 2 mom body.  I don't want her to feel like her hair/makeup/looks are some how tied into her self-worth.  I just don't even know how to tackle it.  I'm going to love the hell out of this little girl though so I am confident we will make it work.
  • Options
    kwaldykwaldy member
    edited June 2017
    So with my first, I wanted a boy SO BADLY, mainly because that's what my husband wanted, and he is "the last boy" so he wants to carry on his name. I was disappointed because I didn't want to HAVE to try again. Plus, I grew up with a big brother, so I really hoped to have a boy first. I was disappointed that DD was a girl, but At this point, I can't imagine being anything but a girl mom.

We don't find out for 2 more weeks at out A/S, but I can tell you that I hope it's a girl. We've already talked about "it doesn't matter what we have, we're done." so I don't feel the pressure for it to be a boy. Also, like I said, I'm a girl mom... it's what I know and what im used to.... I don't even know if I know how to raise a boy... 
  • Options
    My A/S is monday. We are still on the fence about finding out or not. I haven't really admitted to anyone how much I want a second girl. So I'm not sure what my emotional response will be if we find out it's a boy. I'm glad to know there is a group here who would be understanding though. 
  • Options
    @bcashaw I totally understand how you're feeling and it totally sucks right at first! When I was pregnant with my 3rd son, I felt the exact same way! I felt so guilty for not being so happy and felt like a horrible mom as a result. It took a few weeks to really sink in and choosing a name really helped deal with it. When he had a name, it seemed to give him an identity and allowed me to connect with him more. At this point I absolutely couldn't imagine life any other way! He is just the BEST little guy ever!  <3
  • Options
    My A/S isn't until July 11. I love being a mom to my 2 girly girls and part of me is hoping for a 3rd. DH desperately wants a boy, so I think he will be disappointing if it's another girl. For me, I see positives with either sex and I kind of want both so I see myself being a little sad either way it goes. 
  • Options
    No one has mentioned this yet, but is anyone dealing with disappointment of siblings? My daughter (12) and youngest DS (4) are REALLY wanting a girl. I do too, but I know I will be ok not matter what it is! My daughter will too but I am a little worried about DS. He is not one to pitch a fit but he just keeps saying "It IS a girl, momma, it IS! He has even named her Sweetheart. He sings to the baby each night and talks to it and sometimes he will say, "Please be my sister. I need another sister." Of course it is the sweetest thing and I hate to ruin the "mood" but I do later remind him that it could be a boy and he will STILL be the best big brother ever!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @cottingham3 Not me personally (my toddler is too young to fully grasp the situation) but a friend of mine due next month has an older daughter who has been insisting she's getting a sister. They are team green, so we will see. 
  • Options
    I'm pregnant with baby boy #3. I am thrilled to be a boy mom. I would have loved to have a girl and have that experience. I'm one of three girls and loved having my sisters, so I'm glad that my boys will have brothers and friends for life. 

I also wanted a girl for my husband. He's had a girl name picked out forever, like since he was young, that he won't get to use. Plus I wanted him to have a dad/daughter relationship because I love the mom/son one. So I do feel a little sad for him. My oldest (4years) said he hoped for a baby sister, with both of my pregnancies, but once he knew he was having two brothers he was excited. My husband i think was a little bummed at first, but now is excited to watch the three of them grow together. 

My fear about being a boy mom is when they are all grown. I worry that I won't get to help pick out a wedding dress, or be as involved in my daughter being pregnant. Or that my future daughter in laws won't stay close to me and the family. But then, I think of all the adult guys that I know that are still close to their families and make time for both. Just hope my future daughter in laws like me. :)

What bothers me the most is other people's reactions to boy #3 or even being pregnant with #3 already while already having 2 boys. I can't tell you how many comments I got about how maybe we'll get our girl, or now we need to have a 4th baby just to try get a girl. I wanted three kids regardless of their sex and almost knew or felt I was going to have all boys. We weren't trying for a girl, just a healrhy happy baby to add to our family. I'm happy about another boy and other people's reactions sometimes bother me. I think they generally mean well or are just trying to make conversation. 
  • Options
    2Dash2Dash member
    @ugoglencoco I hear you! I have two boys now and love being a boy mom...it's what I wanted from the the youngest age. But I was a dancer and a part of me thought I would get to share that. When my friends tell me about ballet class and dance recitals it hurts a little. I have such a strong feeling that this baby is a third boy. And if he is I'll be happy but I also wonder if I'm trying to protect myself from disappointment or something. At the same time I'm scared I wouldnt be a good mom to a girl. At this point I get boys....I dont know.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kwaldykwaldy member
    No one has mentioned this yet, but is anyone dealing with disappointment of siblings? My daughter (12) and youngest DS (4) are REALLY wanting a girl. I do too, but I know I will be ok not matter what it is! My daughter will too but I am a little worried about DS. He is not one to pitch a fit but he just keeps saying "It IS a girl, momma, it IS! He has even named her Sweetheart. He sings to the baby each night and talks to it and sometimes he will say, "Please be my sister. I need another sister." Of course it is the sweetest thing and I hate to ruin the "mood" but I do later remind him that it could be a boy and he will STILL be the best big brother ever!

My stepdaughter(7)really wants a boy. To be honest, I think it's because she sincerely thrives on being the center of attention and struggles with DD(1.5) being around. I think eventually she will adjust either way.

My in-laws, though.... god. They want me to have a boy so badly, that despite the anatomy scans confirming DD was a girl, they said "we won't believe it until the baby comes out without a penis." among other really horrible things that made me think they didn't want DD to be a girl... 
  • Options
    I got lucky in that DS2 is too young to understand what's going on, and DS1 has said from the day his brother was born, "Mom, I need a little sister now!" The other ladies in my mom's group have dealt with sibling disappointment, and now the child who was the most disappointed loves the new baby the most. How they came to that result I have no idea, but I imagine it is with a lot of patience and reassurance that the baby will love them, no matter what. I personally think a lot of "I want a little..." is from fear. They see their classmates having new baby siblings and they see how they respond, and if it's a new little sister and the reactions are negative, then obviously a new little brother is the preferred option. Just my un-educated observations however, so take 'em or leave 'em.

Personally I'm still coming to grips with having a little girl after two boys and we found out at 10 weeks (17 currently). I don't have much of a connection yet with this pregnancy like I did at this point with the boys, but I hope that will change once I begin to feel her move. I think picking a name will probably help too. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @cottingham3 our daughter desperately wants a little sister. She will be heartbroken if the twins are both boys. Her little brother drives her crazy right now and to have to tell her there's never going to be a little sister for her will break our hearts. She will be devastated and we have no idea how to handle that. So for now we hope hope hope one is a girl.
    Me: 32 / H: 35
    Married 9-19-2009
    Baby Karrot 1.0 - 6.18.2012 - She's here! Via C-section @ 38 weeks.
    Baby Karrot 2.0 -
    6.25.2015 - He's here! Via VBAC @ 36 weeks.
    Baby Karrot 3.0 - 3.9.2017 - BFP @ 9 DPO! EDD 11.20.2017 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Karrotelle, fingers crossed with you!!

I know my son will get over it and I know that he will love the baby because he is a sweet, sweet spirited boy. I think my only anxiety comes from know that he really, really believes (for whatever reason) that it will be a girl and well I hate to see him upset. If it is a boy, we will use it as an opportunity to explain to him the God knows best and has a very special plan that we cannot always understand. 

We work REALLY hard to cultivate a spirt of love in our family and among our kids. We have 2 really big parenting goals 1) that our kids know how much they are loved and 2) that our kids know they are NOT nor will they ever be the center of the universe. I know this is a personal belief, but I think this helps make our kids grounded, confident, and ready to face the challenges of life with determination rather than disappointment. 

My older two are 18 months are part and then there is 7 years between my boys so we have never been in this exact situation with a little one who knows what is happening but certainly cannot process his emotions like our bigs did when he was born and they were 7 and 8. Thats why I love this board...sharing and learning from each other.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm not disappointed at all with having girl #3 but I know my family will be. They've been asking for a boy FOR EVER. Well I'm done after this little one so no boys from me.  >:)
  • Options
    @cottingham3 I am very worried about my step son now that I know I am having a boy. He is the youngest of 3 in our house and the youngest boy (out of 5) at his mom's house. He has got a lot of abandonment issues which results in him being extremely emotionally needy, especially with me since I am the most consistent mother figure he's ever had.  He had a very difficult time when his mom got pregnant with his toddler sister and lashed out pretty violently. He was pretty good when I got pregnant but had expressed to me that he's worried the baby will be a boy and we won't love him anymore. He already has a difficult relationship with my husband and they aren't nearly as close as DH wishes they were. We talk about how the baby could be a boy or a girl and no matter what he is always loved. I remind him daily that he's always my first baby and that's so special because everybody else had other first babies so that's unique for just us. 
    I am anxious about how he will feel when the baby is A boy and I do not think we will be telling them until the baby is born. I suppose we will see. 
  • Options
    Complete honesty - I was so glad to get my NIPT results online vs. on the phone/in the office.  I felt very strongly that this was a boy, and even now over a month later I struggle to refer to the baby as "her" or "my daughter."  I don't know that I'd say I'm disappointed, just genuinely surprised and there's a part of me that isn't sure I'll be a good mom to a girl.

I have an amazing relationship with my mom - she's my best friend.  I have great relationships with my sisters, too.  I just never in my life saw myself being the mother of a girl.  Even when I played dolls as a young child, my "babies" were always all boys.

It helps for me that my fiance and my son both DESPERATELY wanted a girl.  My son would have been furious had she been a boy, and my fiance would have been grateful for a baby, but a bit sad that it wasn't the daughter he pictured.  I guess that's how I feel - just kind of taken aback that it's not the baby I pictured.  The finality of knowing that my 6.5 year old was my last little boy.  So much for mother's intuition.

You know what's actually really been helpful?  Retail therapy.  Girl clothes are adorable.

What does not help?  FI's jackass family who clearly only wanted a boy and have made many, many comments to that effect.  Like I did something wrong and made "the wrong one" or something. 
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Options
    tsa208tsa208 member
    av2323 said:
    I was over the moon when I found out I was having a girl.  Now that I've had several weeks to adjust to the idea I am starting to panic and have tiny nagging feelings of sadness that I am not a "boy mom".   I'm terrified to raise a girl.  Much like @ShePersisted, I had a horrible relationship with my mom.  I don't even know how to begin to parent a girl.  Not to mention it is just unfair the things girls/women have to go through.  I don't want my daughter sent home from school to change a perfectly appropriate outfit because it's "distracting".  I don't want to have her watch me struggle to lose the baby weight and become comfortable with my post-partum mother of 2 mom body.  I don't want her to feel like her hair/makeup/looks are some how tied into her self-worth.  I just don't even know how to tackle it.  I'm going to love the hell out of this little girl though so I am confident we will make it work.
    All of this. I was hoping for a boy, because I am more familiar with boys and mother/daughter relationships are so darn complex. But I'm getting excited now. I'm just a little nervous about the burden of raising a woman!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    tsa208 said:
    av2323 said:
    All of this. I was hoping for a boy, because I am more familiar with boys and mother/daughter relationships are so darn complex. But I'm getting excited now. I'm just a little nervous about the burden of raising a woman!
    All of this!
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Options
    DS (4.5) is convinced this LO is a boy, and has already named him. I try to remind him that we don't know yet, and the baby could be a girl. Logistically speaking I have clothes for both, so I no worries there. Honestly I would like for this baby to be a girl, just because we have a good, solid name for her. I know we still have time, but I feel I have looked at every boy name out there repeatedly. I'm worried if this LO is a boy, he is just going to be stuck with a "so-so" name, because it's all we could come up with. If remembering correctly though, this pregnancy feels a little more like DS's pregnancy than DD's. 
  • Options
    I haven't found out yet (will in 3 weeks), but honestly, I have a bit of anxiety about it. DH and I would be happy to have a healthy baby...but we have our hearts set on a boy. I know it sounds ridiculous, but we would just love for our first to be a little boy. I am preparing myself for either obviously, but we will see. I am not sure what my reaction would be if they say we are having a girl. I haven't told anyone in real life though because I am sure I would get mad judgement or comments about being ungrateful.

Of course, we will love and care for our child...but I don't fault anyone for feeling some gender disappointment. Like anything in life, we have hopes, dreams, expectations and we have to internally deal with reality when it's not what we expected. I think it's normal and healthy, as long as it doesn't turn into resentment.
    Honeybear and I are so happy to have a boy but gosh, I am so with you! Disappointment is normal, I don't blame anyone for it.

Of course now Honeybear keeps saying "I really want a girl for the second child" so I guess there's that to look forward to. 
    25 - FTM - BF Mom - Using CDs - Blogger and Soap Merchant
    Married for two years to my Honeybear and expecting a little Honeybee on our homestead in Belgium.  <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    KMRR86KMRR86 member
    My a/s isn't for a few weeks still but I know that if this baby is a girl, both dh and I will be disappointed although we would absolutely love another daughter to the moon and back, we both have our hearts set on a little boy. Big hugs to everyone who's facing disappointment, it's ok to feel all of these things.