December 2017 Moms
Options

Finding out gender

I am a first time mom and very excited to know what my little baby is going to be. My doctor says they don't do the scan until 21 weeks. Is this typical? I hate not knowing until end of August. Oh well. 

Re: Finding out gender

• Options
    Yes. Mine doesn't do it until 20 weeks. We have scheduled an elcetive ultrasound for next Friday. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Mine is also 20 weeks. It's not really for gender but to measure baby and make sure he/she is growing healthy. The gender is just an extra perk with the scan. You could check around your area and see if there are any elective ultrasound areas available. We have one here called My Little Me and I've made an appointment for each of my kids at 16 weeks to find out because I love knowing early and then confirming at the 20 week scan. But it will cost you out of pocket and most places wait until 16 weeks at the earliest to try seeing gender. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @anewadventure I'm not sure that you meant it to be that way but that sounded very rude. 

And I'm due December 31st and will not be 20 weeks until August 20th which I would call late August. Considering most of my appts fall the week following whatever week I hit, aka my 20 week appt will be somewhere between the 21-25. I just think that was an unnecessary reply.
  • Options
    hmthom89 said:
    I am a first time mom and very excited to know what my little baby is going to be. My doctor says they don't do the scan until 21 weeks. Is this typical? I hate not knowing until end of August. Oh well. 
    @anewadventure I'm not sure that you meant it to be that way but that sounded very rude. 

And I'm due December 31st and will not be 20 weeks until August 20th which I would call late August. Considering most of my appts fall the week following whatever week I hit, aka my 20 week appt will be somewhere between the 21-25. I just think that was an unnecessary reply.
    ....so you have two sn's? neither of which participate here? it's not my job to be nice to you. you can post as you like and, guess what, so can i. 

gender and sex are not the same thing.
    google exists, use it.
    come chat with us more often, get to know the group, if you're looking for kisses and hand-holding. 
    Hmmmmm and there's a baby in the picture.....
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mcfeldbbmcfeldbb member
    edited June 2017
    I'm also due in late December, so I participate in this month's board even though if I deliver late I'll be in early January. My dr said that they don't do a gender check until the 20 week ultrasound which would put mine same as yours in late August. I'm not sure why the snippy responses from some users, we all have questions that yes google can answer but sometimes it's nice to get answers from people who had recent experiences with all of this. Or at least I sometimes feel better asking here rather than google. If you want to find out earlier you can do that as part of the CVS test or go to an elective ultrasound place I think after 16 weeks and should get the answer. 
  • Options
    @anewadventure definitely not two screen names. I was also active in the Sept 15 bump board. And I was not referring to the sex/gender comment as I do agree with you there. I think many people are misinformed on the subject however as many doctors offices and elective ultrasound businesses refer to them as a gender scan. 

I was was simply referring to the last comment about her not being due in December. My original due date was Christmas Eve, and then with my dating ultrasound was pushed back to December 31st which would put me at 21 weeks on Aug 27th.  I just try to be polite to everyone as I would want people to be to me and I think there is a way to educate people without being condescending. 
  • Options
    Also I have participated some in the board. I posted in introductions and several other feeds on this board. 
  • Options
    mcfeldbbmcfeldbb member
    edited June 2017
    @anewadventure yep I am fully aware of the test and I am having it for what you seem to be referring to as the "right reasons". But one of the additional pieces of information you get is the gender, which is why I mentioned it. Honestly there's no reason to jump all over people or be judgemental about what they're doing with their body or their pregnancy. Yikes! Please don't feel compelled to respond to me again. 

Im also using the ignore feature after this post. Pregnancy isn't a time for additional stress!!
  • Options
    maddilattimaddilatti member
    edited June 2017
    @anewadventure Can I make clear that I am most definitely not the original poster! I am a second time mother with a 2 year old daughter that has been a member of the bump since 2015! I know that I can get an elective ultrasound because I did so with my daughter and already have an appt set up for mid July to find out with this baby! I was just pointing out that I thought your response to this poster was somewhat uncalled for! 
  • Options
    @maddilatti if you go to someone's profile you can use the upper right icon to hit ignore and no longer see them. In this case it seems like the best move, not worth engaging anymore. 
  • Options
    @mcfeldbb if you're having CVS done for the "right reasons", why would you ever suggest someone doing it to know the sex? Sure, the complication rate is low. But it's not something you just do for funsies because you can't wait to know.
  • Options
    Seriously. If you're that desperate, pay to have an elective ultrasound. Hell, pay to have one of the genetic screenings. Do not do invasive testing. 
  • Options
    mcfeldbbmcfeldbb member
    edited June 2017
    @rainbowdashh I didn't! I just mentioned it as part of the results you'd also get that info. I never said go get this test just for the gender. I certainly want everyone to make decisions on testing themselves or with their doctor. I happened to just learn that it was part of the results so I thought maybe others didn't know too. I was merely commenting to the other poster that the "right reasons" are subjective, I don't want to police anyone's testing other than my own, which I'm sure no one on this board does! I'm sorry it appears my comment was misinterpreted, but I think we could all benefit from a little less stress on this post!

As a result of this thread I don't feel like the community is worth participating in anymore so I'll be leaving. Best wishes to all of you with your pregnancies!!
  • Options
    @ktcakes87, at great risk of looking dense.....I don't get it, lol. Who is Paul?
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Options
    U right u right
    #wtfpaul
    Me: 31  DH: 32      <3 DH since 12.2009       Married 08.2013       EDD 12.2017
  • Options
    Here's my $0.02..I'm due 12/31, I had the counsyl screening test. It's a blood test, super easy and noninvasive considering all the probing that goes on with exams and ultrasounds that you get throughout a pregnancy. It screens for a ton of nasty defects and medical syndromes as well as tells you the sex of the baby (I'm having a girl btw), and your insurance may even foot the bill for it. So glad I don't have to wait weeks for a scan
  • Options
    @ameliabedelia-2 it was something some people started a few weeks ago on this bmb, so no you don't look dense, it just hasn't fully caught on yet  ;) I'll see if I can find the thread tomorrow and tag you in it. 
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    BFP 2/1/16 I MC 3/21/16 (11w)
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BFP 3/23/2017 Team pink! Quinn Leigh EDD December 1, 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    It was some dude named Paul who kept trying to out someone about being pregnant.
    Me: 31  DH: 32      <3 DH since 12.2009       Married 08.2013       EDD 12.2017
  • Options
    @thatlauragirl....lol "what fresh hell is this"...adding to my repertoire. 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Options
    Sorry that I asked. I'm new here but I guess I should've known? I will no longer be posting or bothering to read this forum because it seems to me that everyone here is not here to help but simply put down others and judge them for asking questions or responding with personal experiences. Makes me sad really that everyone here is supposedly expecting and you cant even talk to one another politely. Regardless I did wait patiently to find out the SEX OR GENDER of my child until the 21 week scan. We are very happy that we are having a baby girl and she IS due in December. Not that anyone cares because I am sure something I just said will start up a whole other uproar. Nice to meet everyone...but I am officially done with this forum.