August 2017 Moms

Weekly Random 6/12

Re: Weekly Random 6/12

• lewlivlewliv member
    My "How big the baby is" image in the front page of the Bump is no longer centralized (mobile app). I don't know how the app gets screwed up all the time...
  • @lewliv I never know what page mine will open on. It's a surprise every time
  • Loading the player...
  • The heat... ackkk. 

Look, I don't like summer anyway. It's my least favorite season aside from all the fun activities there are to do. This weekend I lasted about 1.5 hours outdoors at a festival with my mom (thank goodness there were some talks and demos in an air-conditioned building too), and then Sunday DH and I went for dinner and drinks on a shaded rooftop and we lasted just 45 minutes. Today it's going to be 94 and just walking to the train was not fun!

At least DH also hates the heat and we can joke about how wimpy we are together. I'd feel bad if he was more outdoorsy and I was limiting his fun. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @lewliv mine's been like that since last Thursday (I think). I really wonder what caliber of software developers/testers they have. 

It's back to reality for me today. We celebrated DD's 3rd birthday this weekend and everyone is now gone. Let the "fun" day full of laundry begin. Ugh!

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @lewliv @bumpybump and @SouthernMama15 As someone who is a front end web developer, for a community site, I find the way the app, and the desktop versions of the bump work really sad.  There are so many things that shouldn't happen, and I cant figure out how they stay that way so long.  Maybe I should look them up, and see what they look for in their developers! 

Its crazy hot here, and I am so sad that I have to avoid it, mostly.  Normally I would be outside, enjoying the sun (with lots of sun screen), but I was out for 30 minutes yesterday and I felt like I had gone on a long run.  
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Another random, kind of a vent to get off my chest. 

I mentioned my shower was beautiful and mainly planned by my MIL. She's wonderful, really, the type of person that lives to make other people happy. But it makes her pushy. I just take a smile-and-nod approach while DH deals with her. 

After hanging out with my own mother this weekend, I learned that MIL really pissed off my mom by being so controlling over the shower. They normally get along great and actually hang out together. My parents are much more frugal than MIL and were originally put off in the first place by the fact that MIL chose a nice restaurant (fully intending to pay 100%) but my mom said they just couldn't let her fully pay- they hate taking advantage of hospitality, so basically they ended up paying way more than they would have ordinarily wanted to for such an event. I was generally aware of that only after deposits were paid and too late to back out, but wait, there's more. 
    My sister wanted to help host. So did my best friend. Found out way too late that best friend and her mother actually had wanted to host a shower themselves (had I known, I would have accepted them doing a small "friends shower" and left the family shower to my MIL). So my sister was going to do decor and my friend was going to do games. But my mom kept receiving excited calls and e-mails from MIL about decorations she purchased and game ideas she had. My mom kept having to say, "did you run this by [sister] and [friend]?" and she'd say no but that my mom could pass along the info to them. That really frustrated my mom- MIL just steamrolled over the cohosts. 

So basically, by the time my family arrived at the shower, my mom had told my sister and dad that if she got her "I'm going to fucking lose it" face on to run interference. It didn't happen though, thank goodness. It just sucks things turned out this way because it was a great event and planning a freaking luncheon should NOT be stressful, come on!  

My parents are going to be avoiding my in-laws for awhile now thanks to this. And, to boot, now my mom is worried she's going to have to "compete" to get time with the baby.

Huge sigh. 

End vent. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It snowed at our house yesterday.  DH wanted to go out on a hike and wouldn't because I refused to put my snow clothes on in June.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • OTmom3OTmom3 member
    @DeansGirl14, ugh that really sucks and puts stress on you to have your MIL and parents avoiding each other. Not the same situation, but my mom has a lot of insecurities regarding the things that MIL can do for my kids physically and money she has to spend, and often worries about competing for time as well. It's stressful for me so I'm sorry you're dealing with the stress too.
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• All of a sudden I'm getting random popups (like you won an iPhone 7) when I use the bump app or login from Safari. It doesn't happen on any other websites. It's making mobile bumping hard because I have to hit the x button to stop loading the page as soon as it's done loading to prevent a nasty add from appearing. Is this happening to anyone else? 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• kvh22kvh22 member
    @DeansGirl14 - My MIL and Mom cohosted my shower. Luckily it was supposed to be a surprise so I didn't have to hear much of the complaining but they are sooooo different it was bound to cause issues. DH was actually a high school friend of my brother's and our moms had hung out a few times. My mom said when we started dating she just felt weird about it (not for any particular reason, just that the relationship was different) so they basically stopped getting together as much. A decade+ has passed and MIL has had some issues with depression and become even more out of touch with reality than she was before (she's closer in age to my grandmother than my mother as she had DH in her early 40s - she networks in a very tiny circle). Dealing with my MIL in the planning stages was the absolute worst part of my wedding for me. My mom told me after the shower she completely understood how frustrated I was with MIL about wedding planning now. Apparently because her and one of her friends who was attending are vegetarians, she said all the food should be vegetarian.

TLDR - totally hear you on the MIL/Mom issues working on the shower together. I think both of them left the shower feeling like the other got more of their way. It really was a great event (like you said of yours) but they both have flaws and drove each other a bit nuts...plus they can be passive aggressive (as can I) so I'm sure snippy comments were made.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• The MIL/ Mom issues where my MIL is far more capable of helping out than my mom just due to physical etc shape. So, my mom is already on the defensive about time and everything. My MIL/FIL are so chill, its great. My parents aren't bad but they get limited time with my niece and her 'other' grandparents are all about the spending more $ and time...so it has impacted my parents a lot. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • I don't think my in laws have more than my parents, they are definitely nowhere near as frugal. My mom always makes comments about how they can't afford to spend as much on gifts, but I don't want them to. We also live closer to inlaws so that's rought because my parents feel like the in laws have the market cornered on grandparent stuff. DS loves talking to them on the phone and gets super excited to see them when I tell him we're going so I'm glad for that. 

• kvh22kvh22 member
    @smallbutmighty77 yes! MIL says SIL's kids' favorite is their other grandmother because she spends more money on them. I totally understand the frustration on that one, but it's like she's taking that insecurity and already feels like this has to be a competition with my mom on certain things and the baby isn't even born yet. FIL has no competition so I think she's extra sensitive to it.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Here's my random but still pregnancy related. 

Last week I met with a new primary Dr. She told me to stop taking colace as a stool softener because there is no real proof it works (even though most hospitals give it out) and try Citrucel instead. I'm occasionally adding MiraLAX as well. 

Anyway...it's working. I feel like such an idiot for not switching over sooner or trying something different.
  • belmont1785belmont1785 member
    edited June 2017
    I am incredibly grateful to have a seriously awesome relationship with my in laws and my parents and that they get along together (rare occasion we see both at once.) Sure I have frustrations sometimes but nothing what I've seen on here. For the most part both sides are very supportive of us and our decisions and boundaries.
  • Here's my random but still pregnancy related. 

Last week I met with a new primary Dr. She told me to stop taking colace as a stool softener because there is no real proof it works (even though most hospitals give it out) and try Citrucel instead. I'm occasionally adding MiraLAX as well. 

Anyway...it's working. I feel like such an idiot for not switching over sooner or trying something different.
    Oh yeah? I take the generic colace (the price difference was staggering) and I think it helps. It gets things "moving" without, well, having an episode worthy of a gross-out comedy movie. But my friend was advised MiraLAX. 

I used to take the generic colace pre-pregnancy anyway, so maybe for pregnancy some folks just need something a little stronger?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 I swore I took it after my last deliveries and thought it worked? It for sure wasn't doing the trick this time and I've been miserable...no idea why it took me so long to try something new.  
  • @Mango517 That image made me laugh  :D. I'm also starting to wonder when it will become impossible to shave (legs, bikini area..). It's already a struggle now but I can still manage. I am so not the type of person that would ask DH to shave my legs in the shower. Just too weird for me!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @secicc12 .... is there actually a type of person who would ask DH to shave their legs in the shower?? If so, I'm not that type either  :D
  • @Kathryn0903 Enjoy! I love pedicures.  The place close to me has a really nice deluxe pedi that I am planning on getting right before my due date.  DH cut my nails and painted them for me last weekend.  Im super impressed with how nice they look. 

@secicc12 and @HappyToBeHere DH has offered to help shave my legs and bikini line.  Im still good with my legs, but I might have to take him up on the offer for bikini line help.  I just cant see there anymore, and I cant get over the big belly.  Plus, lets be real, its all for him  :D
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • @Kathryn0903 I'm not much for pedicures either, but I've gotten a couple so far this pregnancy. It's so worth it to have someone else trim my nails and give my feet a massage. 

My random is that baby has extra strong kicks this week. It's like he's trying to break out of my uterus! But it is pretty cool to be able to push back at him (I'm guessing his feet??)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @HappyToBeHere @secicc12 DH definitely shaved my bikini for me. Like @littlebug2010 said, it's for him anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
  • DH definitely won't mind if I ask him to shave my legs/bikini line because he did all that for me when I had 2 hip surgeries a few years ago. Yeah it's for him, but also my comfort  :D
  • Maybe this fits more in FFFC but last pregnancy, I used an electric razor at the end of my pregnancy to tidy up down there. I plan to do the same again this time. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I got an electric razor for my bikini line and we have a bench seat in our shower...that with a mirror and some awkward positions I can pretty much get it decent looking to at least go to the beach. But I have to do it first b/c it is so much work I need the shower after!
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • lewlivlewliv member
    @secicc12 I scheduled Brazilian waxes for the next 3 months because I'm definitely not asking DH to help (even though he would probably enjoy and laugh about it). Now, I may have him help with my legs if I need. @HappyToBeHere I guess I'm the type of person that would ask DH to shave my legs. 
  • @bumpybump I always use an electric one, but I have no good way to position myself to get down there and get it all.  

@lewliv I have never been waxed . . .  It just sounds so painful, and im a wimp! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • You guys just need to have the weird pregnancy side effect I got going on and *poof* most of your body hair is gone. I may honestly never need to shave my legs more than once a week again. I also may never have eyebrows again... so that's the downside.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • tova24tova24 member
    Props to @lewliv! I would be bawling if I got a wax! I can barely stand getting my upper lip waxed (I start tearing up)!

@Mango517 my leg hair has stopped growing at its usual rate. I shave once a week too (normally on Thursday because, hey I got to have something to look forward to when all my usual TV shows are not on for the summer!).  It's weird because my legs are the only area where hair growth has slowed. 
  • Haha @littlebug2010 @mrsmatt1212 So true, it's all for DH anyways. Didn't mean to offend with the "type" comment - I just meant I'd be way too embarrassed to ask him to shave for me! Maybe I'll get desperate, though. Plus, he's going to watch this baby be born so all modesty is pretty much going to be gone. Might as well ease him into it!

@bumpybump @smallbutmighty77 Didn't think about the electric razor... so smart.

@Pinkprincesspiper Such a good deal! I love saving money like that. Also..your comment made me think - I wasn't planning on bringing any newborn outfits to the hospital. We got so many 0-3 month hand me downs, I was going to just see what size this LO is and then maybe order some newborn onesies if she's swimming in the 0-3 size. Bad idea though? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mango517 my body hair has grown way slower during both of my pregnancies. But it picked right back up after I had DD. I bet yours will grow back. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @secicc12 All my babies, even my biggest at 7lbs11oz, were swimming in 0-3 month stuff. They are usually only in Newborn for a month, so don't stock up on a lot (or find some darn good deals like I did)! :wink:
  • I always use an electric bikini trimmer and have been going by feel since I can't see down there anymore. I figure it's good enough.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @bumpybump I really I'm the same and it does come back! 

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker