September 2017 Moms

Anterior Placentas

For those of you who have an anterior placenta or who had one in an earlier pregnancy, what was/is your experience like and how are you doing?  This is my first pregnancy and I was told at my anatomy scan last week that I have an anterior placenta.  I've felt some movement in the form of "flutters" but I'm sure I would feel more otherwise.  I'm 21 weeks now.  Please share your experience, if you'd like!

Re: Anterior Placentas

• I have an anterior placenta, but I've still been able to feel kicks on the sides. DH was even able to feel one the other night. My placenta is also pretty high, so I can feel some flutters and a few kicks down near my bladder. I'm 19+1.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had one last time and another this time, so I can't offer perspective on a non-anterior one. They really aren't that different- you should be able to feel movement inside but it may take awhile to feel it on the outside. I don't remember the timeline from last time, but I am 19 weeks and regularly feel movement.
  • Loading the player...
  • awildroseawildrose member
    edited April 2017
    I have anterior placenta. This is the first time I've had it (third baby). I'm also 21+4 and have felt movement for a few weeks now. I can tell where the placenta is, which is weird, based on the feel of the kicks. Mine is off centered towards my right hip. DH was able to feel Baby really low a couple nights ago. 

Edit to fix weeks. 

<><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • I also have an anterior placenta. My OB told me at my 16w US. They'll be checking on Thursday at the A/S to see how low it is. I'm 19w5d today and still haven't felt LO kick. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ive had it  for both pregnancies. The last one I didn't feel the baby until about 21 weeks. I'm 17 and change now and still have not felt kicks yet. If you have concerns talk to a medical professional.
  • I also have an anterior placenta. Mine is very centrally placed. I can feel kicks below it and to the sides, and I often feel what I can only describe as a pressure against the placenta, which the doctor confirmed is me feeling the baby move up against it. 

• I've got one too, and I didn't with my first son. It's a little more muffled in places, but I still feel a lot of movement at 19 weeks. Mostly downwards, to the sides, and some at the front but again it's kind of like softened if that makes sense.
    My plancenta is pretty high and slightly to the right. I started feeling really light, tickley flutters around 14 weeks in places, which slowly turned to muscle spasm type feelings a couple weeks ago, and now they feel like the baby movements I remember with my son.

I think it might take a little longer for me to see him move/feel from the outside, but what I feel inside doesn't seem super different this time around.
  • I had it with my first and have it this time. Movements aren't as strong but I still feel him. Like others have said sides and lower are easier. DH felt him last week. I'm 21+2. 

• BostonBaby1BostonBaby1 member
    edited April 2017
    This is my second anterior placenta. With DS, I first felt flutters around 20 weeks sporadically and regularly around 22. This time I felt a flutter or two just shy of 20 weeks. I am 20+5 and still not feeling movements too much. I am high risk so am being scanned regularly. All is well and LO is very active. 

*eta- I was feeling strong movements ar sound 23-24 weeks with DS.
  • I had an anterior placenta with my last pregnancy, and with this one.  Both times, it's been in the center, although the a/s this morning showed it's sitting low.  I started feeling flutters around 16w or so, but honestly it's nothing I would have recognized as movement if I hadn't already been pregnant.

Just this past week, I really started feeling movement from the baby, mostly to the sides and above the placenta.  Otherwise, I would call the movement down lower more of a feeling of pressure than kicks.  Don't worry if you're not feeling the kicks yet!
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • This is my third anterior placenta. It's central so I still feel a lot of movement low and to the sides. For the last few days we have been able to feel the movement from the outside which has surprised me. Never had an issue yet with anterior placentas. 
  • jessieR358jessieR358 member
    edited April 2017
    This is my first anterior placenta. I can only feel kicks super low like near my pubic bone and to the left. I felt kicks all over with my DS at this point. My OB said that as the baby gets stronger I should feel them all over soon. I'm 20w4d

• I'm 21+5 with an anterior placenta. I felt him a few weeks later than I felt DD but I can feel his movements pretty strong at this point. 
  • I have an anterior placenta but it's pretty high up. I've been feeling these dull thumpings near my pelvic bone for a couple weeks. Now at 20w5d I feel them regularly and in clusters. Definitely baby moving. 
  • Just wanted to check in again with my fellow anterior placenta ladies. Is anyone taking the time every day to count kicks? I haven't, yet. I'm 28w today and feel movement on occasion but no regular pattern yet... maybe I feel them more in the evening bc I'm usually sitting still/lounging then! But the baby seems to sleeping the vast majority of the time! 
  • I have an anterior placenta but have been feeling kicks pretty regularly since about 15 weeks. In the beginning I only felt them down on my bladder (I'm guessing my placentas high but don't really know). I think it depends a lot on the babies position as well as your placenta. My baby is head down now and now I feel very big kicks where my whole belly moves! I recently found out at my anatomy ultrasound that I actually have 2 placentas. The MD said they might be attached but he wasn't quite sure. Anyone else heard of this?! He said it's nothing to be concerned about but to be sure I push both our during labor. How fun, a bonus object to push out ;)
  • Mine is anterior- I feel a ton of movement throughout the day. This week, I have started seeing it from the outside. I am 26 weeks today.
  • I'm 28 weeks and last week at my OB appointment, my OB told me to start kick counts. She said I should feel about 10 in an hour and once I get to 10 in an hour, I can stop for the day. So basically you only have to count once a day. I have been feeling very strong movements and kicks for a while now. If you're still not feeling a ton, I agree with PP that it could be the placement of the placenta. I can pretty much tell where mine is. There is a section in the middle of my stomach I don't feel a lot, but a feel a ton all around that area.  Maybe mention it to your doctor at your next visit.

• I'm not doing regular kick counts yet, probably next week after my 28w appt is when the midwives will suggest it.  But this LO is on the move all the time, so I'm not really worried about it.  I can also pretty much tell where the placenta is, based on how strong (or not) the movements are.  

It's also possible that your baby is more active at night than during the day.  With DS1, I rarely felt him kicking when I woke up in the middle of the night, but this one will start donkey kicking when I get up to pee.  See if you notice more movement when you get up at night, your LO may just be on a different sleep cycle.  Especially if you walk a lot during the day, that probably lulls him or her to sleep.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

• At 28+1 things really started to rev up for me... feeling kicks much more regularly now. Most recently, in the ribs. (Not my favorite.) I feel like a kangaroo! 29w tomorrow.