June 2016 Moms

white spots on medela tubing?

brit0725brit0725 member
edited June 2017 in June 2016 Moms
Has anyone had this happen to them?

Re: white spots on medela tubing?

• Tawny87Tawny87 member
    edited June 2017
    If it is an open system on a pump in style as opposed to a closed system such as a free style or a symphony I would assume mold. My suggestion would be to call Medela support and see what they have to say. Good luck!
  • I get white spots that pop up after I've sanitized the tubes by boiling. I think it's the minerals in the water around here. Usually they disappear if I rinse them out again with bottled water. Definitely would check for mold though if they're cropping up between times that they come in direct contact with water.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Loading the player...
  • I get white water spots on mine. If you bought through a medical supply company check up with them. Mine just sent me anew set of parts, including new tubes completely covered by insurance.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • It is an open system...pump in style advanced.  Never washed tubing.  Called medela months ago and they told me mold is black and that white spots were water staining (condensation/water backing up).  I called
    them again the other day and they sent me new tubing for "peace of mind."  I let my pump run for a few minutes when I am done pumping and I use the medela wipes between pumps...and always wait well beyond ten minutes.
  • That looks like dry BM to me
  • bankssl1 said:
    That looks like dry BM to me
    I was thinking the same. I always had white spots in my Medela tubing after I pumped.
  • bankssl1 said:
    That looks like dry BM to me
    I was thinking the same. I always had white spots in my Medela tubing after I pumped.
    Me too, also when I spilled a little (which was frequent) this is what it looked like
  • brit0725brit0725 member
    edited June 2017
    Thanks!  Yours looked the same?  I can't find any other images like
    this!  Are you certain yours was from
    spilling milk?  Did you use this tubing?
  • michi921 said:
    Thanks!  Yours looked the same?  I can't find any other images like
    this!  Are you certain yours was from
    spilling milk?  Did you use this tubing?
    I used the Medela "Pump-in-Style Advanced Breast Pump with On-the-Go Tote" so I imagine the tubing was the same. I'm 99% sure that it was just a mix of milk and condensation and it often dried to look like what you're seeing. I just did my best to wash out the tubing and let it dry. It would still get water spots even after I did that though. 
  • Looks like milk 
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Upon seeing a picture I concur that that looks like milk.