May 2017 Moms

Crying while nursing

Is this normal? Lately my 3 week old has been miserable, screaming and crying during her evening feedings...from about 7-10. We've checked all other needs - diaper changes, burping, even checked to see if she had a hair or something around her fingers or toes. She is just inconsolable. It breaks my heart to feel like I can't help her. Then like magic, around 10:00/10:30, she nurses and is fine for the rest of the night. I don't get it!

Re: Crying while nursing

• Witching hours it's kinda normal and their actions can vary in severity. It's just a phase
  • Agreed with above. Also, mine does this when he's gassy. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • She could also have colic which tends to come on around week 2 or 3. They usually outgrow it by week 12. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• I know people have varying opinions on gas drops, etc. One product we have found to be helpful is called Colic Calm. My best friend SWEARS by it, and gave it to her little baby with every feeding. I'm a little more conservative with it and only break it out for the inconsolable times. We've watched it stop a meltdown in its tracks and turn a screaming baby into a sleeping one in a matter of minutes. 

Good luck! The early days are TOUGH! 
  • Thanks for the sdvice. Last night she started up again but since it was warm out, I turned on the fan, gave her pacifier, laid her on the bed, did a little massage and sang her some songs...that all helped and she was able to calm down. I'm still not sure what was wrong. I tried everything to get rid of gas prior to thinking of the fan and even after...she never did any extra burps or poops..that I was aware of anyway, it was loud with the fan so I may have missed it. But I was just happy I figured something out before going through 4 hours of that! 
  • Thanks for the sdvice. Last night she started up again but since it was warm out, I turned on the fan, gave her pacifier, laid her on the bed, did a little massage and sang her some songs...that all helped and she was able to calm down. I'm still not sure what was wrong. I tried everything to get rid of gas prior to thinking of the fan and even after...she never did any extra burps or poops..that I was aware of anyway, it was loud with the fan so I may have missed it. But I was just happy I figured something out before going through 4 hours of that! 
    I'm glad you found something to help. I've been reading "the Happiest Baby on the Block." I'm no stranger to babies, but I like to read and gave it a shot. It's given me many ideas for how to calm my fussy boy. Also, my mom taught me to lay my baby across my lap on his tummy. I hold his chin for support and bounce or vibrate my legs. He loves it and calms quickly.