Multiples
Options

Identical twins! Looking for resources...

Okay, so I just had an ultrasound at 6 weeks, 5 days, and we saw two strong heartbeats.  They're sharing a gestational sac, so the doctor told us that one of the embryos we transferred split, and we'll have identical twins.

How do I learn more about this?  What's the best resources you've used to understand the needs and risks of this kind of pregnancy?  I knew we had a risk of twins, transferring two embryos, but I wasn't expecting an embryo to split!
Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

Re: Identical twins! Looking for resources...

• Options
    I have no idea, but congratulations! So happy for you!
  • Options
    gwtw733gwtw733 member
    One of the best resources for me has been Twiniversity - it's a great online community for parents (and soon-to-be parents) of multiples. Their group on Facebook is super active, and tons of great resources on their website as well!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @KLake42 I agree twiniversity is a great resource. could your RE tell you if they were momo or mo-di? Momo is generally considered the riskiest.  I would also research a good MFM. I loved mine with my twin pregnancy, they can answer so many of your questions. (as a note you can choose to have an MFM be your primary  during your pregnancy.  I had monthly or more frequent face time with my MFM going over how the twins were doing every step of the way and he delivered my twins. so it was a wonderful very personal experience for me) GL!!
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    KLake42KLake42 member
    @wabash15 She couldn't see the membrane, but it was a little early for it.  I'm hoping she sees it when she checks again next week.  An extended hospitalization (with mo/mo twins) would be really scary and difficult!
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.

• Options
    @KLake42 fx for mo/di but if it is momo technology has come so far I hope this means you and DW will get two beautiful bundles of joy. keep us updated on PIAF or here!
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    tmk0325tmk0325 member
    edited June 2017
    @KLake42 there is a really good Facebook group called mono/di twins Multiples support. For our specific types of twins it is extremely helpful! I highly recommend joining.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Checking back in-- I'm so please to say that we *did* see a membrane at the last ultrasound!  Happy to be in camp mo/di.  Thanks for the resource suggestion, @tmk0325!

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.