Adoption

June 2017 - Introduce Yourself

If you're new to the boards and / or have been lurking for a while, please introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about you so we can get to know you! No judgement here regardless of which group you would fall into (adopted / adopting / fostered / fostering / placed a child, etc).

Re: June 2017 - Introduce Yourself

• akcrrrakcrrr member
    Hi Ladies :) I have been lurking for a few months and finally wanted to introduce myself as we have actually started the process (well we attended an orientation meeting and are filling out our application). DH and I are both 32 and live in NJ. We are going through the state process.

Due to the training schedule we can not officially submit the application until late July if we want to meet the first 100 day training requirement. 

We have an almost 2 year old biological daughter that took us quite awhile to conceive (long story surrounding conception and birth I can go into if anyone wants to know). We have both always talked about fostering or adopting and have finally decided that now is the time to move forward. We are moving forward with both the foster to adopt and straight adoption process. 

I love to spend time with my LO, cook/bake/can, and entertain friends. I am also a bit of a Target and Starbucks addict and probably have 1000 items in shopping bags all over the internet that I am never going to buy (you can dream right). 

There doesn't seem to be too many support groups or boards of this kind so I am hoping I can chat with you ladies and we can learn from each other. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and feel free to ask any questions if you have any :) 
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    DD : 20 months
    Married:11/2011
    BFP #1 3/13, MC 4/3  :'( 
    BFP #2 5/15 DD born 8/15 (25 weeker born due to PPROM)  

Working on growing our family since 3/2017

• @akcrrr  Welcome and good luck! You have a 100 day training requirement in your state?! That seems pretty intense!
  • Loading the player...
  • akcrrrakcrrr member
    @akcrrr  Welcome and good luck! You have a 100 day training requirement in your state?! That seems pretty intense!
    Yes, in NJ it is a 150 day process. First 100 days you have the background checks, physical, home visits (there are 3) references and the training classes. You can do either 4 6hr classes on weekend or 8 3hr classes. They have to be completed within the first 100 days and are on a monthly cycle. We can only do the 4 6hr classses (they are on weekends) and they aren't offered until October. The next 50 days are visits from the licensing bureau and you then actually being licensed. 
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    DD : 20 months
    Married:11/2011
    BFP #1 3/13, MC 4/3  :'( 
    BFP #2 5/15 DD born 8/15 (25 weeker born due to PPROM)  

Working on growing our family since 3/2017

• akcrrr said:
    @akcrrr  Welcome and good luck! You have a 100 day training requirement in your state?! That seems pretty intense!
    Yes, in NJ it is a 150 day process. First 100 days you have the background checks, physical, home visits (there are 3) references and the training classes. You can do either 4 6hr classes on weekend or 8 3hr classes. They have to be completed within the first 100 days and are on a monthly cycle. We can only do the 4 6hr classses (they are on weekends) and they aren't offered until October. The next 50 days are visits from the licensing bureau and you then actually being licensed. 
    Ahh, okay, so it's not that you are doing something every day of the 100 days. That's not as bad as I thought. We also had to wait a few months in order to take the classes that fit our schedule, but we were able to get our background checks and stuff done right away and we could have done the home study before the classes, too, except we were moving to a new apartment. It's interesting to see how it's done so differently in different states.
  • Axl2Axl2 member

Hey I have been in this group for a couple months. My husband and I have been on the waiting list for a little over a year. We are going for our 1 year updated at the end of the month. I have finally made a list of everything we need once we are placed. I'm hoping that we will be placed this year!!

Its a different process in Alberta, Canada we have to do a seminar 11 hours long, fill out the application, and do the homestudy that is roughly between 8-12 hours. Then the homestudy goes to the clinic director she either approves it or denies it.

• We recently experienced a sixth loss after years of infertility, so we're looking into fostering to adopt. We're in upstate NY. We have our orientation for the MAPP class tomorrow, then we'll start the classes on July 10th. We are still reeling from the latest loss, so we know we aren't emotionally ready for a placement, but we're hoping to get there as we jump through the necessary hoops. We also have a two-year-old bio daughter.

I hope it isn't rude to say, but this forum seems pretty quiet. Boards like this one were essential to my survival through the years of infertility and losses, so I would appreciate anyone who can point me to an active support community for fostering to adopt. 
    ***TW***
    DD born April 2015 after many rounds of IVF and losses.

After much more of the same...

• @muchwanted  Yeah, this board has always been pretty quiet I think. Over the winter a few of us tried to get it going again and we had a few regulars posting. But the past couple months everyone seems to have disappeared. You can always ask during your classes if there are any in-person support groups in your area that you can join.
  • Axl2Axl2 member
    So finally went for our 1 year update we were told that our profile probably won't be shown until we have been on the waiting list for 2 years. I wish they would be honest. Also our social worker told us that she think that my husband smoking might be one reason our profile has not been shown. So he finally quit smoking!     
  • @Axl2  That's great that your husband quit smoking! But that's terrible that you have to wait so long to even have a chance - I'm sorry!  :(