September 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms 6/5

We really need a new thread this week

Re: Weekly Randoms 6/5

• Yo. Sleep was hard to come by last night. Midwifery appointment at 11:30. And then hopefully nothing crazy for the day. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yay. Just logged in to make sure someone made this thread. Home sick today. Feeling just awful. Drinking tons of water and sleeping all day. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @bridge-and-wall Oh no! Feel better soon!!!

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Sleep issues here as well. I tend to get really tired around 8pm and fall asleep. Then when DH wakes me to actually go to bed of course I can't go back to sleep and I just lay there for hours. 

And the hip pain at night has me tossing and turning. 
  • @wineren Oh no! Prayers for your friend!
  • lilpootslilpoots member
    edited June 2017
    @wineren fx for your friend

Definitely struggling with sleep. I spent a lot of time in the state in between sleeping and wakefulness. Not great.

Our garage door is broken and needs to be completely replaced. We can muddle through with a broken door, but it gets really hot here in the summer and I can't imagine putting my newborn and toddler into a boiling hot car.

Eta: this should probably be my mbf post
  • Praying for your friend @wineren

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @wineren praying for your friend.

@Sugargirl1019 are you going to start the after dark take two thread?
  • @wineren praying for your friend.

@Sugargirl1019 are you going to start the after dark take two thread?
    I wasn't going to. Idk what to say. The other one isn't a huge hit.

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @wineren I'm so glad things are looking good for your friend. Will pray for a happy, healthy little bean. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @bridge-and-wall sorry you're sick. It is the worst while pregnant. 

My kid is so goofy to me. I set down his plate for dinner with a tamale, spanish beans and boiled lima beans. What does he gobble up? Lima beans.
  • Our fridge is in the living room. DH is renovating the kitchen and it's been over a week. We have no water to the sink or dishwasher, and all of our food and dishes are scattered around the house in bins. There's also a film of sawdust on everything. Weeeeeeeeeee. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I did all the dishes and the dishwasher is dirty waiting for DH'S lunch dishes before I press start. He just cooked his lunch. Let's see if all the crap gets cleaned up or if he leaves it on the counter/in sink for me.

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @BigBadWolf12 I so much love a clean fridge! 
  • I just got invited to my first ever sprinkle - for the wife of a friend of my husband. She is pregnant with their second child, a girl, and they already have a 3 year old boy. It's a small last minute thing, so it's happening on Saturday morning. The person organizing said in the email invite that they already have a lot of girl clothes. Any suggestions on what one buys for a gift for a sprinkle if they already have a lot of clothes? It seems like they'd have most of the baby essentials from their first child. The baby is due in a month, so it's possible they've already bought any girl-specific essentials that they didn't already have. I'm thinking some books because you can never have too many, and then something else but I don't know what...thank goodness for Amazon Prime.
  • ColoradoHikerColoradoHiker member
    edited June 2017
    @Rhubarb7216  Diapers and wipes!  This is what I wish everyone would have gotten us for DS1.  I'd probably go for size 1 diapers, since some babies only fit in the newborn size for maybe a week, if at all.  When a close friend had her first baby last summer, we had to travel 6h to get there, so we got a couple things from the registry, and then went to WalMart and bought a monster box of diapers.  A few months later, she told me it was seriously the best gift, haha.

My random today is that DS had his 18m appt (a month late, because I forgot to schedule it ages ago.  Why do the offices only schedule in three month blocks??).  And he lost his mind, probably bc he's decided that is his new nap time (but it wasn't when I scheduled the appt, of course).  He screamed at the nurse, the weight scale, the exam table, having his clothes removed, his stuffed penguin, me, and extra most especially, the doctor.  What a hot mess he was.  Thank goodness he didn't get any shots today, or else he might have had a complete meltdown.  :sarcasm:   :|   :|
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I just got invited to my first ever sprinkle - for the wife of a friend of my husband. She is pregnant with their second child, a girl, and they already have a 3 year old boy. It's a small last minute thing, so it's happening on Saturday morning. The person organizing said in the email invite that they already have a lot of girl clothes. Any suggestions on what one buys for a gift for a sprinkle if they already have a lot of clothes? It seems like they'd have most of the baby essentials from their first child. The baby is due in a month, so it's possible they've already bought any girl-specific essentials that they didn't already have. I'm thinking some books because you can never have too many, and then something else but I don't know what...thank goodness for Amazon Prime.
    I agree w/ diapers and wipes. My co-worker just had a second child, a daughter. She didn't have a shower or a sprinkle, but I bought her a card and a gift certificate to Target. Gift certificates can be a tad impersonal, but at least she can spend it on something practical for baby. 
    As far as books, I'm planning on purchasing this book for my daughter: https://www.amazon.com/B-Sarah-Kay/dp/0316386626/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496857306&sr=8-1&keywords=If+I+should+have+a+daughter+sarah+kay
    Sarah Kay is a spoken word artist, and this is one of my favorite poems that she has written. For father's day I'm getting my husband Ladybug Girl and her Papa. Our family loves the Ladybug girl series. 
  • @Rhubarb7216 Diapers are always useful, but they might have a registry set up through Bye Bye Baby or Babies R Us for nursery or other items. I would try searching to see if they had a registry. I'm pregnant with my 2nd boy, and I set up a registry, but mostly just so I could keep things straight with what I needed to buy. Even with my 2nd boy though, it's still a lot of stuff I have to get, because DS is still using his nursery, so I have to buy all new bedding and decorations for it. So there might be some useful stuff they registered for if you don't want to do diapers.
  • @mrs_tacos same. Mine have been like this since I was nursing though so it's not terribly new, but DH always looks at me and raises his eyebrows and says, "Cold in here?" :unamused: also my left side has started leaking already. Not a lot, just enough to where if I'm not wearing a bra it wets the inside of my shirt just enough so I notice and it's super annoying.  

Also, my colostrum has turned back to completely clear now. With the tiniest hint of yellow sometimes but mostly clear. Which is weird because it was still like regular milk and white/yellow a few weeks ago. 
  • edited June 2017
    So I had my maternity leave meeting yesterday with HR, and I walked away finding out I'm going to be making far less with STD than I thought I was. I have almost no sick leave built up due to 2 miscarriages last year and fertility testing appointments. We're barely going to scrape by with paying our bills. I have a fairly large family, and at Christmas each year, there's typically about 23 people all together that I have to buy presents for when I combine my family and DH's. Is it rude to basically say ahead of time that this year we're only going to buy presents for the 4 children, our nieces and nephews, and we're not going to buy anything for the adults, and to please not buy anything for DH and I? We just seriously can't afford it with me going on maternity leave, and not making my regular paycheck for October and November. I'm not sure how to tactfully inform my family of these plans, but I don't know of anything else we can do to make it through and just be able to afford our bills.
  • Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    edited June 2017
    @heatherlynn321 I'm so sorry for the financial trouble leave will cause you. Will you accrue enough to do something with by September?
    I think you are perfectly in your right to only request giving gifts to the children and not adults!
     My side of the family does not give gifts to adults - my in laws though would kick and scream if we did not get them gifts. They only have one child though and no other family to receive gifts from. 
    Your family is large enough that the event itself is a gift having everyone together and watching the joy of the children! I hope you can become more confident of your finances during this hard time!

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @heatherlynn321 I agree with @Sugargirl1019 and think it's a completely reasonable request, especially since you're already thinking about it. That's an easy way to cut a big cost without an impact. 
    I too am worried about the lack of pay during my maternity leave, since I make more than DH. 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • edited June 2017
    Okay, so it doesn't seem rude or tacky? That was my main concern. I'll probably still get the parents and in-laws a small framed picture of the baby, but that's it. Any suggestions on tactfully sharing this plan?
  • Just drank the glucose drink! Luckily, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I feel okay for now, but baby is going wild in there! 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • MrsVP614 said:
    Just drank the glucose drink! Luckily, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I feel okay for now, but baby is going wild in there! 
    I did mine Tuesday morning. I have not gotten the results and it's making me cranky!

I didn't start to feel yucky until around the blood draw time. My doctor was 45 minutes late for my appointment, so I didn't get to eat right after. I was SUPER hangry by the time I got to brunch. 
  • @heatherlynn321 I broached this subject with my brother when my nephew was born. It was basically just a way to save money all around. I didn't have any kids yet, but made it clear that once I did, I only wanted gifts for my kids anyway. Plus, if I was expected to get gifts for him and his wife too, I would have less money to spend on great gifts for my nephew.  My mom had a similar arrangement with her sisters, so it was an easy conversation. 

With DH's family, the adults decided to do Secret Santa with a $20 price cap. That way, everyone gets a gift, but it doesn't break the bank. We all still bought for my nephew and I assume they will all buy for baby as well. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • ^^^ A few years ago I pushed for this with DH's family. It's him, his two sisters, and they have two cousins - and they all have spouses. And it spawned a similar thing with his parents and their siblings/spouses, so we do generational secret santa, then everybody buys for our niece/nephew. 

I set it up through Elfster. Which I freaking love, because it's free, and as the "host" I can input "NOs" into everyone's random pick-list. So spouses don't get each other, and I never have to buy for either BIL (they are both super picky) :P We set a $50 price cap. Then everyone gets something nice, instead of us scrambling to get something nice for eight people without breaking the bank.
  • @heatherlynn321 my extended family started doing "kid only" gifts when it felt like things were getting out of control and we were losing sight of the more important things of Christmas. I don't think it's THAT uncommon, but I might be ignorant. DHs family often does a yankee swap or secret santa or just pulls names so the adults have one thing to open and each person buys one gift. This only works though if no one cares about things being "equal". But I thought I'd throw it out there if you're concerned about buying for EVERYONE but you also don't want to go down all the way to no gifts or think they wouldn't respect your position enough to go down to no gifts.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• edited June 2017
    Thanks guys, these are all great suggestions, I really appreciate it!