May 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding Check-In

124»

Re: Breastfeeding Check-In

• Yiggle09Yiggle09 member
    edited May 2017
    @kns1988 avent has 0 1 2 3 4 level nipples. Usually the free ones are level 1. 0 is a premie level. The 1s were way too fast for ds but the 0 took him an hour to drink from. I stopped using them because of those issues plus he somehow shot out milk trying to drink it so I couldn't stand my milk being wasted
  • mcvgalmcvgal member
    We started out with the Avent Slow flow and they were still too fast for DD. The milk would all dribble out. We switched to Tommee Tippy slow flow and it made all the difference.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Loading the player...
  • Silly FTM question. I could Google but I trust you all more. Sorry for not looking if it's been asked.

Can I pump milk from both sides into the same bottle?

Thanks!
  • Silly FTM question. I could Google but I trust you all more. Sorry for not looking if it's been asked.

Can I pump milk from both sides into the same bottle?

Thanks
    Yep. You can mix all kinds of variations of milk. I'd just be careful about the dates/ages of the milk. Obviously the older milk "expires" first. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • lnds32lnds32 member
    @PartiallyDomesticated the struggle is real! This weekend was rough! I'm glad the cluster feeding is just a phase....
  • @PartiallyDomesticated lol, DS2 makes a similar face and will tongue it out at times... even though he's bottlefed breast milk. They are already too smart... ;)

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• I can't remember what happened first time around - is it normal for when milk comes in not to ever feel "emptied"? After every feed my breasts still feel full. I'm only 5 days pp and my milk came in yesterday. Today I'm having some trouble with engorgement. Just making sure this is normal stuff and there isn't an underlying issue. Thanks :)
  • SKZWSKZW member
    edited June 2017
    @llenadevida900: my MOTN brain thinks that uber-newborns not fully emptying the breast sounds normal (considering how little they take in) ... heck, my 4 week old still does it... but... this feeling plus engorgement warrants a call to an LC (if you're no longer in the hospital?) in order to get relief soon!
  • I can't remember what happened first time around - is it normal for when milk comes in not to ever feel "emptied"? After every feed my breasts still feel full. I'm only 5 days pp and my milk came in yesterday. Today I'm having some trouble with engorgement. Just making sure this is normal stuff and there isn't an underlying issue. Thanks :)
    I'd say this is totally normal. They'll be sore and full for a few days and should calm down after a week or so. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @llenadevida900 - I agree that it's normal. If you're really uncomfortable try hand expressions or pumping for a minute or two just to be less full and more comfortable. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• @llenadevida900 I'm in the same situation. I've been engorged all day everyday since my milk came in. I have been pumping once a day for a few minutes to help but I'm hoping it will settle down. I take hott showers and massage the boobs and it seems to help with being uncomfortable.  I soak through nursing pads like crazy and the second I get a boob out it's squirting all over baby's face. Its a mess over here.
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm glad to hear it's normal and temporary.

@SKZW No kidding! I was really engorged last night (has since felt a bit better). Got up to change a diaper after feeding and started feeling drops on my foot from my breast that was still out in the open air. Gee, thanks.
  • Women who are going to start storing milk, when did you start pumping/ how did you do it without telling your body she's eating an extra 4 oz..
  • SKZW said:
    There's nothing quite like warm runny sticky milk to clean up from baby's neck folds, double chins, and grabby hands, along with your own skin and clothes... and furniture... and flooring...
    Story of my life over here! So much laundry it's ridiculous. I also told my dh that after this were going to need a new matters as since I never got a waterproof cover
  • @Cubslove12 I've started pumping (and storing) once a day  because I become engorged if I don't. DS is a week and a half old.
  • Has anyone had mastitis? Yesterday, I felt this a train hit me. I was super weak, went from freezing and could not get warm to sweating, god awful headache, but I have a cough and  my throats is also bothering me (I have bad allergies and post nasal drip) I thought maybe I got a cold or sinus infection. The flu like symptoms threw me off though. I also am pretty sure I have a clogged duct.  So I'm not sure who to call...
  • @Cubslove12 I had it with ds and I had a fever chills felt completely unable to move practically but only one day. I had pumped at 5 on saturday morning went back to bed woke up pumped again felt the lump tried getting it out all day then Sunday I got the fever and chills. Don't know if primary care or gyno is who to call
  • I'm going on day two, and of course my husband has been off all week and went back to work today
  • lnds32lnds32 member
    I had it a few times with DS and got it last week too! Ugh it's seriously the worst. If you can get a call to your OB they will likely prescribe some antibiotics which will help relieve symptoms with 24-48 hours. In the mean time, hot compress, nurse/pump as much as possible and massage affected breast to help move the clog out! Good luck! 
  • @Cubslove12 - definitely call your doctor -- I called my PCP the time I had it but I'm sure OB will address it too. Flu like symptoms are definitely worth looking into when breastfeeding. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• @Cubslove12 i had mastitis twice with DD and it feels like the flu. I called the nurse line since it was after hour and a doctor that was on call asked questions about my synptoms and went ahead and ordered a prescription (antibiotic) for us to pick up. I would definitely call the OB asap so you can get better

• I called my OB and went in, I have mastitis
  • Oh so sorry @Cubslove12 :). Hope it resolves quickly
  • Thank you! I picked up a prescription for an antibiotic. I really never knew about this before and after talking to the nurse and doctor it sounds like it can get really bad fast. I'm glad I decided to call. Just a warning to all you ladies, you might want to read up on it to know the warning signs!! This is awful!! 
  • @Cubslove12 I hope you feel better soon!
  • SKZWSKZW member
    @Cubslove12: Oh no! Mastitis is the worst. I've described it as worse than childbirth. Definitely do the hot compresses, extra nursing (I know it sucks), and the massages, and really get in there with your fist (think of like a deep tissue working over) in order to break it up. Feel better soon!!
  • lnds32lnds32 member
    edited June 2017
    @Cubslove12 I am glad you got some meds! It can get bad really quickly so getting antibiotics started early is so important! One other thing to consider is taking a probiotic with it. The course of meds for mastitis is usually 10-14 days so the risk of getting thrush can be minimized by adding a daily probiotic. Just a tip!

Also, as someone who has suffered with clogged ducts I started taking lecithin recently which I s supposed to help with recurrent clogs. For anyone interested you can read about it here: 

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin/

Edited because I didn't proof read first!
  • @Cubslove12 I'm feeling your pain, started antibiotics last night too :disappointed:
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Huge creepy hugs to the mamas dealing with plugs and mastitis. It will get better! Hang in there. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• @Cubslove12 I'm feeling your pain, started antibiotics last night too :disappointed:
    It's the worst! Hang in there! 
  • So sorry ladies! I had antibiotics for 3 days and my OB said I could stop because I had enough and wasn't feeling right on them. She said that if it were to happen again that I should pump (EPer but surely breastfeeding would be the same) as much as I can to help unblock it and to take Tylenol. If it didn't resolve in 12 hours then I'd need antibiotics. So pump/feed, massage, warm compresses, all that good stuff! Hope it gets better for you all! Hang in there! 

"A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • I often got clogged ducts with my first and ibuprofen helped a ton. Plenty of hott showers and nursing baby (even though I was exclusively pumping at the time) I used a nipple shield when nursing because I couldn't get a good latch. Good luck to you ladies going through it, I remember how uncomfortable it is.