Pregnant after 35

Pregnant 35+ May 2017 check-in

Hey y'all!  It seems like this board is quiet, but I have a theory that a few folks are lurking about.  How's it going for you?  I'll ask a few more questions than I see in some check-ins, so just answer what you want to answer.

How far along are you?  EDD?  Singleton, twins, or more?

Any recent appointments?  How'd it go?  Upcoming appointments?

What was your TTC story?  Did you BD your way here, or did you use IUI or IVF?  Get knocked up right away, or take a winding path?  

Have you had any challenges during this pregnancy?

How are you feeling today?  Rants/raves?

Any other kids?  Furkids?  Partners?  Best-friend-platonic-soul-mates, helping you with all this?

Questions for anyone else?

Favorite ice cream flavor?

Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

Re: Pregnant 35+ May 2017 check-in

• KLake42KLake42 member
    AFM...

5 weeks today, and I won't know how many are in there until my ultrasound in a couple weeks.

My second beta came in nice and high, 1896 at 14dp5dt, after 255 on 10dp5dt.  My 6 week/6 day ultrasound is scheduled for 5/15.

What was your TTC story?  Did you BD your way here, or did you use IUI or IVF?  Get knocked up right away, or take a winding path?  
    Bunch of IUIs, all BFNs.  Two IVFs, cancelled for poor response and converted to IUI, both BFNs.  We finally tried reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus, and I finally got my BFP!  It's still early, of course.  I got my BFP on my 40th birthday, after 2 years of trying.

Just nerves!

I'm feeling fine, which worried me at first, since I was icky over the weekend.  But a lot of people told me that symptoms come and go, so I'm holding onto that.

Any other kids?  Furkids?  Partners?  Best-friend-platonic-soul-mates, helping you with all this?
    Just one goofy little dog, and my wife.

How are y'all doing?  

Favorite ice cream flavor
    lemon
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.

• Hi! Congrats on your pregnancy KLake!

I'm 10 weeks with a single. I'm due Nov 27th, but doctor said I'll be going in at least a week early for a c-section.

Had another ultrasound yesterday. Baby is doing good! Baby was moving around like crazy! My next one is June 1st. I'll be 14 weeks.

We had been TTC for over 2 years! Found out when I was around 5 weeks we were expecting!

Just with the overall sickness, it's really messing with me this time around.

I've been so sick over the last 5 weeks, but I expected that to happen. I was sick throughout my last two pregnancies.

I have a 6 yo boy and 5 yo girl with my hubbie

Favorite ice cream flavor? Chocolate

• Loading the player...
  • How far along are you?  EDD?  Singleton, twins, or more?
    37w, due 5/25, singleton boy. Been an occasional lurker over here from time to time. 

NST's 2x/week, OB weekly

Got KU the old fashioned way. My cycles were being a tad wonky so I wasn't sure we were getting the timing right. What I thought was a period even though it was mostly old blood, was more like implantation spotting. 

I'm exhausted. And my hips feel like they will need replacing after I'm done. Otherwise, everything has checked out well. 

Exhausted, hip pain, some heartburn. 

DD will be 3yo this week. We have a dog that loves to snuggle and not share me. 

No

Depends on my mood. I tend to enjoy something with fudge and peanut butter in it. 

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Hello everyone!

(not great with the acronyms but I'll give it a shot) 

4w1d, 1/13/2018... hopefully, there's just one bun in the oven. 

No appointments yet. First one will be in my eighth week. 

BD my way to my first ever pregnancy after 4 months of TTC.

Early stages but for now, just low-grade heartburn, belching, and tired. 

Today, I'm good! Just fighting the Sunday scaries.

No other kids for me or my partner. He and I are very excited. 

Who do you talk to daily (excitement) when you haven't told everyone yet?? (It's kinda lonely.)

Plain ole vanilla
    Me: 39 <3  DP: 49
    TTC since Jan 2017
    BFP #2 7/11/17 | EDD 3/24/18
    BFP #1 5/2/17 | EDD 1/12/18 | MC 5/18/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • KLake42KLake42 member
    @kristinwald47 I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so bad.  It sounds like it didn't ease up in the 2nd trimester for you, in prior experiences?  I'm really counting on that!  It's great that you were able to see your little one moving around on the ultrasound, I can't wait for that.  

@RedInLove Wow, you're almost there!

@ishmoney I agree, it's very isolating to be in the first trimester, not telling many people.  This is my first, too, and everything is so weird and scary and exciting-- it's on my mind all the time, but most of the people I deal with on a daily basis (at work, church, etc.) don't know.

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.

• I am 38 years old with my 3rd boy. The first 2 are 20 and 16 years old. I'm due June 2nd and it cant get her fast enough.  Honestly, I have had a rough time and feel terrible compared to my first  2 many years ago. As of now, lots of pressure and stabbing pains that drive me nuts.... I just want it all over with and to feel good again....
  • pinkishrabbitpinkishrabbit member
    edited May 2017
    I'm Anna, 36, EDD is 12/16/17. Just had the first ultrasound and everything was normal!  Have genetic testing in a few weeks.  With our son we were TTC for a year, so we were shocked that we got pregnant so quickly this time around.  
    So far, pretty tired and occasionally nauseous, having a lot of weird food cravings and aversions.  I'm feeling a little weird I think because I am so excited I want to tell everyone now but the overly anxious and cautious side of me still wants to wait a few weeks.

DH and I have an 18 month old son who is wonderful.  We also have 2 cats and 2 dogs, so a very full house!   Oh and I love strawberry ice cream :)
    Pregnancy Ticker 

• @KLake42 Yeah. Problem is, I can't hold anything. I have shared with people I feel close to (and that's a lot of people). I don't know what to expect so I am excited and just want to share but always to get the support. The nice thing is I have a coworker who's 3 weeks ahead of me so we can chat! I like the forums and hope to be as active as I can. I'm praying for everyone!
    TTC since Jan 2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi ladies,

EDD
    I'm 37 and my DH is 41 I am 5 weeks today. My EDD is 1/14/2018. Not sure how many until my first appointment. 

Appointments
    No appointments yet. I have my first one in the first week of June. Just waiting for them to call me to set up my first US.  Did have some bloodwork done to test my progesterone just waiting for the results.  

TTC Story
    This is my second pregnancy the first one was a MC. We decided to wait for a bit to TTC again and take the time.Over the past year we both made some huge changes to prepare physically and mentally to try again. I joined a gym for the first time in my life, before I got pregnant the first time I was a smoker (quit when I got BFP) and had a coffee addiction (I love coffee) also my diet could have been better. I haven't had a cigarette for a year and a half and am now down to 1 cup of coffee a day. I've become a "little granola" and I have never felt better. We decided that we were good to go again. Started trying a couple of months ago and here we are. I guess for me I needed a little of time. 

Challenges with this pregnancy
    All is good so far just trying to hide my big bloat! By the end of the day I look like I'm 5 months rather than 5 weeks. 

Feeling today
    I'm feeling okay today. A little tired and bloated. I have had a metallic taste for the past couple of days as well. 

Partner and pets
    I have a cuddly fat cat and a amazing husband 

Questions for others
    How are all of you feeling today? Anyone going to surprise there mum with the news this Mothers Day?

Favourite Icecream Flavour
    Coffee or Mocha 

• mcrosiemcrosie member

6 weeks, 3 days

Had my pregnancy confirmation appointment. Doctor was meh. She didn't seem to want to answer any questions until my first official prenatal appointment at 8 weeks. Sigh. 

We started trying last February. Weren't always physically in the same place when I was ovulating so I wasn't stressing too much. I wasn't really stressing yet but thought that if it didn't happen soon we should see a doctor. We were on vacation when it happened :) I was genuinely surprised after more than a year of negative test strips!

I'm just really anxious and worried about everything. I'm in decent health, but I'm frankly obese (sigh) and have autoimmune hypothyroid disease which worries me. The thyroid is being treated so I should be fine, but I'm a worrier.

This NPR article about maternal mortality stressed me out to no end. I'm googling waaaay too much.

1 dog, 2 cats
    Husband is lovely - we married two years ago. 
    Good friend who was also struggling to get pregnant is now pregnant as well, so we're talking each other through it.

Not really. I just want reassurance!

Lemon sorbet. I like sour things.
  • Hi everyone. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, this is the first time I've replied to anything!

How far along are you?  EDD?  Singleton, twins, or more? 20 weeks, 9/25, single boy

Level 2 ultrasound and genetic counseling (because of age - all of my bloodwork has been normal) on Monday. Very nervous. 

Got pregnant right away. I was surprised since I'd never in my life had so much as a pregnancy scare 

Anxiety and waves of depression. It makes it worse to read that nobody else is complaining about this :( physically I've felt completely fine. I'm so afraid I will not be a good mother :( Also, since I am older I feel like I'm having a harder time taking anyone's advice or wanting any help 

Same as every day. It really sucks that I'm having a hard time enjoying this pregnancy because it was planned and our baby is very much wanted!!

I have a very support husband thank God. We have 6 cats and a parrot
  • Congrats to everyone on their pregnancies! Hope everyone starts to feel better soon!

Thanks @KLake42, and yea with my first 2 I was sick through the pregnancies. My 2nd one was the worst. I ended up losing 60lbs and in the hospital 4 times for dehydration. But of course it was worth it all in the end! :) 
    I will be 12 weeks tomorrow and have another ultrasound at 14 weeks. I'm still hoping this is a twin pregnancy. I would love to have 4 kids, I just don't think I could do pregnancy again after this one. It's really kicking my butt this time around. Only 1 more week to go for me til the 2nd trimester. I'm still holding out hope I will start to feel better going into the 2nd trimester!
  • @celerysmom, hi! I'm an older mom (I think) as well. It's hard for me to take "advice" as well but because I feel everyone's pregnancy is different. (The people advising me have had children at much younger ages.) Is rather people "share their stories" and not assume I will experience everything they have or assume I don't know anything about how to take care of myself shile pregnant. I'm a pretty independent, capable person. I like hearing about everyone else's stories in the forums.
    TTC since Jan 2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Due jan 23, I have 5yo twins from IVF and this one is a surprise.
  • mindaamindaa member
    Hi ladies!  So happy to see that there's still some activity here.

EDD
     I am 5 weeks with an EDD of 1/18/2018. 

Appointments
    Have my first one in two weeks. 

TTC Story
    This was a huge surprise! I mean, we were basically NTNP, but DH was traveling a ton last month and was home for about 5 days during my cycle. The complete opposite experience for my first, who took about 2.5 years to conceive.

Challenges with this pregnancy
    The last few days have been a big mental adjustment. 

@celerysmom , please don't feel like you are alone in those feelings. I really struggled during my last pregnancy. Dh couldn't understand at all why I was wasn't happier to finally get "what I wanted" but I was just so terrified and confused and hormonal. My mental state improved as the pregnancy progressed.

Feeling today
    Sore boobs, peeing constantly and felt majorly winded on my run this morning.

Partner and pets
    Dh who will be 2 on June 1 and an amazing dh who is my best friend and reacted to this surprise much more relaxed and excited than I've been.

Questions for others
    Just looking forward to getting to know you all. TB has always been a valued place of support for me, especially during these early days, which yes, are very isolating. I have a private group of moms from my last BMB, and that was the first place I went to announce and process.

Favourite Icecream Flavour
    Chubby hubby
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• @celerysmom, you're amazing. Don't worry,  lots of people feel that way at least sometimes. 
    I'm almost 5 wks,  first appt Thursday. Oh,  and I'm 36 yrs old in a month!
    Any recent appointments?  How'd it go?  Upcoming appointments? 2 days away.. I ovulated on 5/6 Or 5/7, but have very long cycles and low hormone levels in my 2nd pregnancy, so I'm going in for a blood test and exam 

What was your TTC story?  Did you BD your way here, or did you use IUI or IVF?  Get knocked up right away, or take a winding path?  due to very long cycles,  rare ovulation etc, we used opk's this time. 

no,  just worry lol
    sudden loss of symptoms and return of appetite makes me nervous,  just tired and excited
    2 boys,  7 and 5, wonderful DH of 10 yrs
    I'm missing my lethal doses of caffeine. How do you all deal?
  • This is where I leave you all. Unfortunately, I experienced a miscarriage last week and it's been an emotional roller coaster. I hope to be back to this board in the near future. Many blessings!
    TTC since Jan 2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • KLake42KLake42 member
    @ishmoney Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this.  I hope you can find some self care, however that looks for you.

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.

• mindaamindaa member
    @ishmoney, so sorry for your loss. Prayers for healing and hopes to see you back here soon.
    Me-37, DH-38

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• How far along are you?
    7 weeks, 36 yrs old and so excited to be a first time mommy! 
    Recent appointments?
    First ultrasound was May 23 and it was great. *flutter* *flutter*
    What is your story?
    Long story. I've been married one year to my wonderful husband and we concieved naturally without really trying.
    Challenges during this pregnancy?
    Very fatigued and lightheaded makes it difficult to do anything for me. 
    How are you feeling today? 
    Good, besides for random waves of nausea.
    Any other kids? Furkids? Etc?
    No other children. A small dog who is very much like a child. She is amazing.
    Please let me know if this is your first, I don't want to be alone!
    Favourite ice cream flavour?
    Banana chocolate fudge

• KLake42KLake42 member
    @ottergirl81 I'm a FTM too!  

I'm also trudging through the fatigue and nausea of the first trimester. I have to confess, I think I may have romanticized the idea of actually being pregnant?  I'm still way, way excited to be here, and be experiencing this, but the nausea sucks.  

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.

• Hi @KLake42. I've been pretty excited about it all to be honest, even the nausea. Sounds weird and maybe I'm crazy, but I've been waiting my entire adult life for this! Yup, I am waaayyy too excited. lol
  • PoeMasquePoeMasque member
    edited May 2017
    @KLake42 thanks for reviving this board! I left for a while because nothing was going on, way to be the life of the party :) 

I just turned 37 and am 12w 4d with one peanut. Due on Dec 8. First pregnancy ever. We tried for about a year and a half, did three IUIs and peed on all the things, always a BFN. All the labs pointed to normal and we got lucky that our first round of IVF worked (all OOP, so no way we could afford more than one round), unfortunately we had no eggs to bank, so this little bun is it for us. 

Tomorrow we go for our NT scan, genetic counseling, and "old lady" bloodwork (sequential screen). Excited to find out if it's a boy or girl in there! 

I feel like a cheater because pregnancy has, so far, been pretty easy. Ive had a "sampling" of all the regular symptoms, but mild and very brief. Today is the exception though, I had to leave work due to a headache, hoping this isn't the ushering in of the 2nd trimester migraines....

we have two cats and I like any ice cream that has a "ribbon" of something in it (chocolate, caramel, peanut butter....raspberry....mmmm)
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mindaamindaa member
    KLake42 said:
    @ottergirl81 I'm a FTM too!  

I'm also trudging through the fatigue and nausea of the first trimester. I have to confess, I think I may have romanticized the idea of actually being pregnant?  I'm still way, way excited to be here, and be experiencing this, but the nausea sucks.  
    The only way I've ever been able to qwell the nausea is by eating all.the.time. I've got to figure out how to keep it under control this pregnancy as I'm not working out nearly as much as I did during first pregnancy. And then I gained 15 pounds during 1st tri and 40+ overall.  :(
    Me-37, DH-38

• @mindaa I was eating all the time as well until food just stopped looking good to me. I force myself to eat, but I'm trying to be careful I don't gain too much. With already being over weight, too much more added I fear something bad might happen. I'm sure its all in my head though.
  • @ishmoney So sorry for your loss 
  • I've been away from the board for a bit! I'll be 4 months this monday! I'm still battling nausea. It's been getting pretty bad for me, but it was like this my last 2 pregnancies. My next ultrasound is June 29th and I'm still deciding whether to find out what I'm having. 

Hope everyone is doin well!
  • @kristinwald47 welcome back and yay for 4 mos! I wanted to be team green, but my SO wanted to find out, so we found out we are having a little boy last week. I will admit it was hard to "lose" the possibility of having a girl and it took me a couple of days to be excited about having a boy. But this is likely it for us and we have no other children, so our situation is a bit more permanent. 

I also have an appointment on June 29, but I think it's just an OB check in. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mindaamindaa member
    ^^ congrats!  Glad you've been able to work through the emotions. Boys are fun  :)

Me-37, DH-38

• Yay, so nice to see people still visit this board. I'm going into my 9th week and feel like I'm been pregnant forever! lol! Very fun though, so looking forward to the end result
  • mcrosie said:

I'm just really anxious and worried about everything. I'm in decent health, but I'm frankly obese (sigh) and have autoimmune hypothyroid disease which worries me. The thyroid is being treated so I should be fine, but I'm a worrier.

I'm a dirty dirty lurker, and this is from a month ago. I wanted you to know as a fellow AMA mom with both Graves and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and had a total Thyroidectomy I had two totally healthy pregnancies. My one daughter did get the thyroid antibodies, so we'll have to keep an eye on but that was it. Glad you are having it monitored and treated. Good Luck!!

• @PoeMasque Congrats on your boy! I do know how you feel though. When I was pregnant with my second I wanted another boy and found out I was having a girl. It took me a whIle to accept that. Don't get me wrong I love her to death! Wouldn't trade her for the world!! I was a tomboy growing up, so the girly girl stuff goes over my head. I was more a cared to raise a girl. Didn't think I could do it. She'll be 5 in about 2 weeks.

I am hoping for a boy this time around, but I won't be sad this time around if I'm having a girl. Just want a healthy baby! I do think I'm having a boy. I'm having the same cravings and temperament that I had when I was pregnant wit my son. I remember being on edge, uptight, and wanting to kill people when I was pregnant with my girl. Hormones are fun. Lol

I think my girl will be very upset if she doesn't get a sister though. I asked her what if God gives us a boy? Her reply "I want a sister, mama!" :smile:

I think I'm just going to find out. A lot of people want to know, including the hubbie. 

Good luck at your appt on the 29th as well!

P.S. I personally think boys are easier to take care of!! Of course I hear that changes as they get older. My daughter went from age 1 to a teenager, she's such a sassy little girl! :smile: 
  • mindaamindaa member
    Yay, so nice to see people still visit this board. I'm going into my 9th week and feel like I'm been pregnant forever! lol! Very fun though, so looking forward to the end result
    Haha, it does feel like forever already! With my first pregnancy, 9 months didn't feel like nearly enough time to get all the shopping, research and prep done, but now I'm like "can we please just speed this up and get it over? I'm ready to not be pregnant."
    Me-37, DH-38

I'm 6w 5d.  My EDD is 2/22/18 but I haven't seen my OB yet.  

My first appointment is in one week - 7/11.

BD.  I told my OB my SO were thinking about trying.  She said to "get crackin'" since I'm 41 and my SO is 45.

Just the normal first tri symptoms, but they've been intense.  Curious if there is more then one in there or if it has the do with me not in my 20s anymore.