2nd Trimester

Anxiety during pregnancy

Hi ladies-

I've struggled with anxiety disorder and panic attacks since my early 20s. Years of CBT and Zoloft finally helped me get the actual panic attacks under control but have always had the nagging general anxiety since and just occasional attacks over the more recent years. I've always kept a bottle of ativan in my purse and only take one when I am experiencing an actual attack.  

I am now in my mid 30s and pregnant with my second child. During my first pregnancy I experienced zero anxiety and figured I must be one of the lucky ones that I read about that the pregnancy hormones somehow alleviate anxiety and panic attacks.
 This time around has been a little different. Of course I am excited about another little one and this was planned but my life is different this time, worrying how I will manage with a 2 year old and a new baby. I have felt really anxious the last few weeks and tonight I feel right on the brink of an attack. My next OB appointment isn't for another 2 weeks where I plan to discuss this with my Dr who I love. Everything that I've read about taking benzos during pregnancy seems to reference studies of women who take benzos daily. There doesn't seem to be any information on taking them on occasion when necessary. So I'm wondering if anyone has any insight or information. Odds are I won't even end up needing to take one, sometimes just the thought of having them but not being able to take one makes it worse and makes you even more anxious. My fellow anxiety sufferers will know what I'm talking about :) 

Anyway, would appreciate any info.

Re: Anxiety during pregnancy

• i took 2 ativans while pregnant. according to my OB the minimal amount i took was negligible and the anxiety would've been worse for the baby than the medicine. 
  • I have severe depression and anxiety. My anxiety has become worse during the second trimester. My heart gets a fluttering feeling and I feel a rush of adrenaline. I have to calmly remind myself it will pass and I'm okay. I miss my medicine (klonopin as needed for anxiety attacks). I was reading that anxiety/ heart palpitations are common due to the increase in blood volume during pregnancy. Just know you aren't alone. It won't last forever. Hugs! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Hugs. GA is hard.
  • I put my xanax away a couple months before this IVF cycle (and for all of the cycles during our TTC journey).  It's rough right now for me, too.  (I'm actually 1st tri, lurking in 2nd tri to see what's coming)

One thing that helps me-- I get an audiobook of a really engaging erotic novel.  It doesn't even turn me on, but it distracts me enough to help shut down parts of my brain and just focus on this fantasy world where nobody is having a bad time.  A more PG-rated romance might work, if you're not into erotica, or really, any story that engages you and doesn't lead you to think about your own life.  I listen when my anxiety is keeping me from sleeping.  It's enough of a distraction that I get sleepy.  And if I fall asleep and miss part of the plot, well, it's not really about the plot.

Maybe this won't work at all.  I'm just grasping at straws myself, and it sometimes works for me.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)