September 2017 Moms
Options

Plus Size Check-in 5/18

Hi Ladies. I'm posting this because I haven't seen one this week or last week. I hope @SuzieMay827 is ok! Let us know mama!

This check-in is for any plus size mom's out there. Tell us how you're doing and any thoughts/concerns about being plus size and pregnant. Don't forget, if you're comfortable, to post your bump-pic on HDBD!

Question of the week: Do you see yourself having more children if this is your first? If this is not your first, how many more do you think you want?
*TW below*
Me: 40 DH: 38
TTC since November 2012
BFP IUI Cycle 2 Dec 2016
Baby Boy Due Sept 12 2017
Elias (Eli) born 9/2/17 at 7:07pm weight 8lbs 10oz and 20.5 inches long!!

Re: Plus Size Check-in 5/18

• Options
    Hi All. I've missed posting & reading about all of you! I missed a week due to work travel. And then I noticed it didn't get posted the following week. I hope @SuzieMay827 is ok w/ me taking over this week. Happy to hand the reigns back! Or if you find life is too busy, I'm happy to take over! Just keep us posted on how you're doing, that's the most important.

I'm doing good. Just hanging in there, feeling more pregnant every day. I don't have a "bump" yet but my tummy is getting bigger and harder. I can feel my little man moving all the time, which is super reassuring. I am excited for next week, I have an ultrasound scheduled and I hit that almighty 24 weeks. Viability! In the infertility world, this is HUGE. So happy!

Hope you all are doing well!
    *TW below*
    TTC since November 2012
    BFP IUI Cycle 2 Dec 2016

• Options
    I missed this check-in last week so much and was concerned about @SuzieMay827 too, especially after I didn't see it yesterday. I hope everything is ok!

Doing good. Starting to really get focused on getting baby stuff together, registering, looking at furniture, clearly out the house, etc. I don't feel like I have a "bump" yet either. I do in reality, but it's not big enough for someone to assume that I am pregnant. 

I had a question for you ladies last week and I am honestly shocked that I can still remember it. But do any of you plan on baby-wearing? If so, have you found any carriers that are better for us plus-size mama's?

Question of the week: Do you see yourself having more children if this is your first? If this is not your first, how many more do you think you want?
    I have always wanted 3 kids and that was the plan when I married DH. But having 3 step-kids I quickly learned that kids are more expensive that I thought. I decided to wait a while until we were more financially stable. I would still like 1 more, but seeing as my child will go to daycare, I cannot imagine having to pay for 2 kids to go to daycare so sadly I am thinking this will be my only one. I think it's really sad that people who want to have kids can't because of the cost of everything, and then you have others that are using them to get money. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was worried about @SuzieMay827 too. Hope she's okay.  

@dogdisnylovr I registered for the Ergo carrier for baby wearing. I don't know that it's specifically better than others for plus size moms, but I carried my niece in one for an entire day be found it very comfortable. She was about 11 months old at the time. 

I finally had a stranger ask me when I was due the other day. It made me feel like I look more pregnant than fat finally. But, then again, I've had strangers ask me that when I wasn't pregnant, so it might be wishful thinking. 

Also, I got a lecture from my doctor last week for gaining too much weight. So, I'm trying to be better. But it's hard. I'm mostly eating well, but sometimes I just really want something sweet. The exercising is worse. Just walking around the grocery store yesterday, I experienced really bad back and hip pain. 

QOTW: Our plan is one more after this one. So 2 total. I always wanted 3 or 4, but I'm already in my thirties and I don't see myself winning the lottery, so I have to be reasonable. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Options
    winerenwineren member
    I'm glad this is posted! Ditto on the @SuzieMay827 concerns. 

My biggest issue has been finding maternity pants that will fit. There's nothing in the stores and online I still feel super limited or like I'll have to take out a loan to afford purchasing them. I've been okay with stretchy yoga pants that are acceptable enough for work that my boss let's me get away with it. And I ordered a couple of things on sale online from Motherhood that I'm hoping fit. I'm honestly pretty terrified to start looking for nursing bras too. I'm wearing a 40H right now and that does not seem to be easy to find.

Kids... I want another. We have primary custody of my 13 year old stepson who I adore. But I still want two biological kids. I was an only child and even though this LO will have a sibling, there is such a huge age gap it won't really be the same. I'd still want to wait about 4 years (I'm 28 and DH is 34). However, DH is pretty set on not having another. Our plan when we got married was to have one and if it was a girl we'd stop and if it was a boy we'd have a second. Then we went through a few years while things were super rocky with my stepson's mom and the stress and getting custody...DH didn't even want one. Which sucked. He came around though and was the one who wanted to start trying. But then it also took a year and a half to get pregnant. Anyhow, long answer short, hopefully one more but if not I'll be pretty happy with the children o have.
  • Options
    @dogdisnylovr I wore my baby with a woven wrap. I didn't have any problem being plus sized and baby wearing. It also could be used by my dh and mom. I have never tried any structured wearing wraps, but I really do love and would recommend the woven one. 
  • Options
    @dogdisnylovr I would love to find something that works for babywearing. Not sure. I did register for one of the wrap type babywearing things. But I'm not holding my breath!

@bridge-and-wall I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Are you gaining a LOT of weight? I just don't think it's fair that a dr would expect you to not gain ANY weight.

@wineren I hear you on maternity clothes. I'm average height and I wear a 2x sometimes 3x. I had to buy some maternity jeans this week...they arrived from Motherhood Maternity and the 2x was too small and the 3x is falling off of me. I may end up in yoga pants soon.

I forgot to answer my own QOTW! I want at least 2 but DH doesn't want another. He's worried about finances. I am worried about my child not having that sibling relationship that he and I both had. We'll see what happens i guess!
    *TW below*
    TTC since November 2012
    BFP IUI Cycle 2 Dec 2016

• Options
    @dogdisnylovr when my DD was newborn up until about 6 months I used a Moby wrap!!! I loved it and wore her every day!!! After she started getting a little stronger I wanted more support so switched to a Tula!!!!! I never would have bought a Tula but my in-laws surprised us with it and I love it. We still use it but DH carries her now. The Tula was super easy to adjust between DH and I. He's not as big around as I am.
  • Options
    Hi everyone! I'm rarely on my computer, and do not have the bump app, so I need to stay on top of my check ins :) The hunger has finally set in (first trimester I was horribly sick, and I couldn't eat much), and I feel like eating everything I see :) I'm trying hard not to since my OB said I shouldn't gain more than 10lbs this pregnancy (which I already did this trimester). 

My biggest issues are: 1. finding a maternity bathing suit that also supports my 38K breasts (sorry if that's TMI). 2. Getting motivated to exercise 3. and not giving into all of my sweet cravings...all ... the ... time.

Do I want more children? We have a 3 yr old daughter, and after this one, I'd love one more. However, my husband says he's done :( I still might try to convince him ;)

Me: 37 DH: 39
    TTC since December 2015
    BFP  3 Jan 2017
    Baby Girl Due Sept 12 2017
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @lialakacz we have the same due date! Fun! 
    *TW below*
    TTC since November 2012
    BFP IUI Cycle 2 Dec 2016

• Options
    _Erica__Erica_ member
    Hi Ladies!
    I'm celebrating fetal viability day today. This is my first baby and it's exciting to know that if something happens to me, at least my baby will have a fighting chance.
    @wineren and @latershrader : maternity pants are the bane of my existence. I'm still wearing my normal pants with hair ties, but I don't think I have more than a week left. Do either of you two know how the 1X, 2X sizing compares to the W## sizing? I wear a W16 and they are really comfortable. Currently I can wear a W18 over the bump, but the legs are super big. 
    Assuming all goes well for the remainder of the summer, this will be our only baby. I'm almost 38 and my husband is older than me. We waited a long time for this little one and we're going to make the most of our little family. 
  • Options
    I am also due Sept 12th!

I saw my belly move last night! I was "worried" with my extra weight that it would just make my whole belly jiggle, but it was a definitive spot where I assume either an elbow or a foot got me.  

I had "ok" luck with Destination Maternity for plus size pants. I ended up with two pairs of jeans and a pair of black pants, those plus a couple pairs of maternity leggings, and I'm calling it good enough. I was underwhelmed at their bathing suit options though. I can wear my swim skirt fine, and I'm balking at paying $35+ for a maternity tankini top of questionable support. I love love love to swim, but realistically, I know I will probably only have one opportunity to swim this summer, at the family camp - so I think I'm just going to wear a bra and a shirt with the swim skirt and call it good enough.

QOTW: We're going to be a one and done family. 
  • Options
    lilpootslilpoots member
    edited May 2017
    https://www.motherhood.com/plus-size-secret-fit-belly-bi-stretch-suiting-boot-cut-maternity-pants/006-93335-000-001.html

I really liked the secret fit slacks at motherhood maternity last pregnancy.  They are pretty forgiving and sometimes run big. If you by any luck have an actual motherhood maternity near by, go in. Their selection is better and they have more sizes. The higher the price, usually the better the fit :/

Eta: apparently I can't get my stores straight.  It is destination maternity that has plus size in store
  • Options
    I did notice that my Motherhood Maternity seems to only go up to XL in the store. A lot of their plus size options are online only. @_Erica_ I don't know about all of their sizing, but I was a 14/16 pre-pregnancy and XL generally fits me. I can also usually wear 14 or 16 maternity pants at Old Navy and Target. I really like the jeans I got at Old Navy. They also don't have a lot of plus sizes in the store, though. I hope that helps a little. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Options
    I had great luck with Gap for maternity pants. I love their wide leg linen maternity pants! I could live in them daily (they start off tight, but really do stretch after a few min)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    seasqrdseasqrd member
    I'm finally sporting a baby bump! I'm 24 weeks 3 days and you can finally kinda sorta tell I'm pregnant. I've been waiting forever, but I'm actually kinda happy it's finally there. 

Also, I've finally gained weight well gotten back to my original pre baby weight after losing 10 lbs with morning sickness & with the gastric bypass. I've been told by several doctors that was ok. I'm maintaining now though, so  the doctors are happier. I've heard many overweight women do lose weight and have a healthy pregnancy, it's just normal for some. But I'm still glad I'm maintaining my weight finally. 

I've been feeling little Olivia down near the lower part of my stomach but not the upper part (too much padding probably). Still she's kicking a lot - usually when I'm trying to sleep at night lol. 

QUESTION of the Week: Do you plan on having more kids / if so how many? 
    I originally wanted 3 growing up, but this is my first (besides my angel baby Remy) and I'm 30. So for one thing time is not on my side -  I'm seeing how Olivia Rose's birth and upbringing goes and like was said above - kids are expensive.

Also myself being a disabled woman using a wheelchair, we didn't exactly plan to get pregnant until if & when I could get out of the wheelchair. We're really very happy about our little miracle however, and very excited to be soon-to-be-parents. I've seen 2 women much worse off, actually paralyzed (I'm semi ambulatory)  and they've raised 3 & 4 kids extremely successfully.

That said.... because of finances, space, and logistics -we're seeing how this one goes, before we plan another one in the future, ( tbh if we do at all ). In an ideal world another one or two kids, but we'll see.

• Options
    lialakacz said:
    Hi everyone! I'm rarely on my computer, and do not have the bump app, so I need to stay on top of my check ins :) The hunger has finally set in (first trimester I was horribly sick, and I couldn't eat much), and I feel like eating everything I see :) I'm trying hard not to since my OB said I shouldn't gain more than 10lbs this pregnancy (which I already did this trimester). 

My biggest issues are: 1. finding a maternity bathing suit that also supports my 38K breasts (sorry if that's TMI). 2. Getting motivated to exercise 3. and not giving into all of my sweet cravings...all ... the ... time.

Do I want more children? We have a 3 yr old daughter, and after this one, I'd love one more. However, my husband says he's done :( I still might try to convince him ;)

Me: 37 DH: 39
    TTC since December 2015
    BFP  3 Jan 2017
    Baby Girl Due Sept 12 2017
    Lurking 

I had my LO sept 16. Pre-pregnancy my boobs were like 34 H. Now nursing, they are too freaking big to think about :( pre-pregnancy i was a size 12 and pp now more like 14+. I bought this suit in black in size 16 (for my boobs) and it has really great support and it is super flowy. I easily wore it as a maternity suit even though it isn't one. I am still able to wear it post partum to hide my belly-cha ching. Looks like they only have it in blue on this site. But it also comes in plus size as well, they are just out of it on this website. I 100% recommend this suit! Good luck! 

https://www.barenecessities.com/miraclesuit-network-mariella-tankini-top-6503007_product.htm?pf_id=Miraclesuit6503007

• Options
    @Seapb yea, We were getting a little worried about how much weight I lost during my first trimester. I was a size 14/16 before the IVF, and I knew I was pregnant before we had confirmation because I was puking so much! At 16 weeks I think I had lost around 15lbs, my size 14 pants wouldn't stay up, and I actually dug up some old size 10 stretch skinny jeans from a few years ago and wore those from about 12-16 weeks. But the constant nausea finally passed and since that low weight at 16 weeks I've been gaining steadily, and apparently the babe is at an okay weight, and my belly is finally a "bump" so it's all good. I think that, for the most part, I just need to trust my body to figure this out on it's own, and not stress too much about its process ;)